Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Contracts Announced At Last

Feb 16, 2006
Hove
Oatway= Need him for morale and giving to younsters a kick in the arse when needed

Carpenter=Should have got rid but we might as well support him as he is a Brighton player for at least another year!

Hart=Top, top player for this club legend end of.

Butters=I think he may well be a coach for us when Wilkins takes over as manager!

Mayo=See Carpenter

Shame we got rid of Nicolas, Dodd and Turienzo but to be honest they didn't play all season really so may as well free up wages for the likes of GNW, a new centre half, central midfeilder, Left and Right back and may be another striker! Heres hopeing/dreaming!

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I would like to think that Dodd was at least offred a pay as you play contract.

I would now like to see this be the only way we bring in the older players. ANyone over 34 should only be on pay as you play IMHO.

We've been burned twice now with Kitson and Dodd. Both excellent players who could teach our youngsters a lot. I for one thought Kitson was a class above when he actually played.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Adriodinho said:
i don't want chippy on my signed chippy, i wanted 22 autographs on my shit and chippy, big mac and mcphee were ones i hoped not to be here:nono:

Have you been drinking , Adrie??

I think Chippy will be back strongly. He was always playing catch up after his early comeback from injury. He looked in extremely good form at the start of the season, despite some adverse results and I hope that the summer break will do him the world of good.

Bitterly disappointed about Turienzo. At Dick Knights Mum said, dodgy transfer deal!! We are not the first club for this to happen to, but not as many are in such a precarious position financially.

We have a very small squad now and hopefully we can find the right players to plug the gaps, plus bring on the youth.

D

Deleted member 2719

BarrelofFun said:

I think Chippy will be back strongly. He was always playing catch up after his early comeback from injury. He looked in extremely good form at the start of the season, despite some adverse results and I hope that the summer break will do him the world of good.

:thumbsup:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
keeping carpetner is a bit of a joke

as for turienzo going - that really is a disgrace

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Scotty M said:
keeping carpetner is a bit of a joke

as for turienzo going - that really is a disgrace

Why ? we took a punt on him, it didn't come off........shit happens

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
I think Chippy is now too old to play in the Championship, but league 1 plus being fully fit I expect him to do well.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Taxi said:
It tells you about McGhees expertise in the transfer market when four out the five players released are ones he signed.

Good point. But watch LI stomp all over you....

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
To not even offer a deal to Nicolas is a disgrace.

why?

he has been absolute rubbish everytime I have seen him play. Name me 5 games where he played well in 2 years?? I am afraid I think he is absolute shit and I am glad he has gone.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
BarrelofFun said:
Have you been drinking , Adrie??

I agree. At Palace away before he went off injured he was patrolling the midfield with Oatway.

A fit Chippy is an asset. Where MM went wrong (he is the manager, he picks the team, he is responsible for our relegation) is that he persisted in playing a clearly out of sorts Chippy (who came on for Oatway) after the Boxing day game against QPR. When he could have played someone else...Reid, Nicolas etc etc

He didnt and thats why sometimes our team seemed 'lacking'. This is not a critique of Chippy, just that he was clearly out of sorts and unfit.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I agree. At Palace away before he went off injured he was patrolling the midfield with Oatway.

A fit Chippy is an asset. Where MM went wrong (he is the manager, he picks the team, he is responsible for our relegation) is that he persisted in playing a clearly out of sorts Chippy (who came on for Oatway) after the Boxing day game against QPR. When he could have played someone else...Reid, Nicolas etc etc

He didnt and thats why sometimes our team seemed 'lacking'. This is not a critique of Chippy, just that he was clearly out of sorts and unfit.

Very true. I am not abject to criticising McGhee, and he should have given Chippy a christmas break at least. That was a real mistake on his part. Our defence were under a lot of pressure. The trouble is we had very few senior midfielders. I would have given Kerry a run in midfield along with Hammond(?), or potentially Nicolas. I would rather another player, than the right player that is unfit and struggling.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
I'm happy with the decisions. We couldn't possibly go into next season with a squad made up entirely of kids, Man Utd we are not.

I would expect all four who have accepted to have good seasons in the slower more combative league we are in now. Kerry is probably a bit borderline but reflects the lack of left back cover.

Shame about Turienzo because I thought he looked a player ( when he warmed up ! ) but his heart probably wasn't in it so for the best to take the hit and move on. Nicolas is tidy but not the potential world beater some are making him out to be and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Dodd was almost certainly too expensive even on pay as you play. The rest, :wave:

D

Deleted member 2719

BarrelofFun said:
Very true. I am not abject to criticising McGhee, and he should have given Chippy a christmas break at least. That was a real mistake on his part. Our defence were under a lot of pressure. The trouble is we had very few senior midfielders. I would have given Kerry a run in midfield along with Hammond(?), or potentially Nicolas. I would rather another player, than the right player that is unfit and struggling.

Without bleating on about it again it was issues like not knowing how to get the best from the squad that has been one of MM biggest problems, let's just hope he learns from them!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Well thats a lovely step backwards.

I knows the majority of people will disagree with me here but hey ho its all about opinions I suppose.

Oatway and Chippy should have been released, we need to look forward and they are both around the 34 yr old mark. People go on about leadership in midfield, well if the midfield is well organised then it shouldn't be a problem. Chelsea and Liverpool have players that lead by a playing example rather than a vocal example and are well organised. In my opinion they also

Nicolas should have been offered a new contract. Deserved the opportunity to show what he can do and would have provided more tactical stability, disapline, quality and mobility in midfield.

I am glad Butters has stayed for another year and our defence is very young so his guidance will be invaluable. Also defence is the one area of the pitch where an vocal, experienced player is required, they tend to spot danger early if they are worth their salt (which Tank is).

El-Turi I can understand but it would it have been nice to see how he would have done this year.

Dodd I would have given him a pay as you play. Has experience and quality.

Hart and Mayo Useful squad players I'm think it is a good idea to give them another year.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hadlee said:
Why ? we took a punt on him, it didn't come off........shit happens

I don't accept that at all. We had a limited amount of cash and we squandered it on an unproven Argentinian who could not speak the language, had never lived here (so chances were he would have trouble adapting) and had played a very unimpressive 45 minutes against Lewes. His goalscoring record overseas was shit.

It's no good whinging about a lack of funds when you piss what you have up the wall. Players like Marlon King were on the market at the start of last season (he went to Watford for big bucks when he had scored goals there on loan).

We couldn't afford to gamble on El Turi, the same happened with Molango. It really is piss poor and MM is fully accountable.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Jimmy Saville said:
It really is piss poor and MM is fully accountable.

Some people tho just cant see it. Why I do not know :nono: :nono: :nono:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Les Biehn said:
Well thats a lovely step backwards.

I knows the majority of people will disagree with me here but hey ho its all about opinions I suppose.

Oatway and Chippy should have been released, we need to look forward and they are both around the 34 yr old mark. People go on about leadership in midfield, well if the midfield is well organised then it shouldn't be a problem. Chelsea and Liverpool have players that lead by a playing example rather than a vocal example and are well organised. In my opinion they also

Nicolas should have been offered a new contract. Deserved the opportunity to show what he can do and would have provided more tactical stability, disapline, quality and mobility in midfield.

I am glad Butters has stayed for another year and our defence is very young so his guidance will be invaluable. Also defence is the one area of the pitch where an vocal, experienced player is required, they tend to spot danger early if they are worth their salt (which Tank is).

El-Turi I can understand but it would it have been nice to see how he would have done this year.

Dodd I would have given him a pay as you play. Has experience and quality.

Hart and Mayo Useful squad players I'm think it is a good idea to give them another year.

So experience doesn't matter in midfield but we need some experienced defenders ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here