Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reid lays into Wilkins

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
reid has always struck me as one of the most unlikley people to go one of these types of rants - seems a bit out of character

oh well, when something like this happened with mcghee it was bad man management. when something similar happens with wilkins, it is the player mouthing off and naylor trying to have a dig at the club

would be interesting to see what the other senior pros think about being released - hart seemed to have a subtle dig at wilkins in what he posted on here yesterday, i wonder if any of the others are thinking something similar?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
i think dean has had to make some diffcicult decisions not an easy job to do but one than needed to be done - the club have been trying to get reid back from injury for 2 years and it hasn't worked - why are some people moaning at the people that have gone

Hart - not featured in the last year much - has served the club well but all good things come to an end - won't be missed on the pitch as hasn't played that much 2007/2008
Butters - has served the club well but all good things come to an end - hasn't played a massive amount of games mainly covered injures in 2007/2008 - at the age of 38 we would have expected this anyway

Mayo - not featured in the last year much - has served the club well but all good things come to an end - all good things have to come to an end which kerry has said himself on the radio - he can also do what he said on the interview - now go back to being an Albion Fan

Martot - was only a loan player anyway
Reid - the club have been trying to get reid back from injury for 2 years and it hasn't worked - i feel that after all that has been done for him this is very uncalled for by the parting shot
Rents - was given a year contract and has not proved himself - when given the opportunities i feel he is not a strong enough player to be left back - look at him and then looik at richards - its speaks for itself in my opinion

Mcfaul - was only a loan player who didn't work out

Cobbs Skinner and Winterton - have obviously not performed to what club needs so have been released - players need to get over it - the same happened to breach last year - it happens

Hinsh - he is being given the same opportunity as charlie last season - both given a lot less that paul reid has been given ( ie 2 YEARS )

i don't think anytime is good to deliver this type of news but i think Dean has let people know as quickly as he could - when would be a good time to deliver this news like this?
Deb - I have seen you post some total crap on this board, but to be fair that post is bang on. Now where did I leave that bottle....?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This does not surprise me one little bit.

I am very surprised Wilkins actualkly spoke to Reid and didnt do it from another room.

Dandyman

In London village.
i think dean has had to make some diffcicult decisions not an easy job to do but one than needed to be done - the club have been trying to get reid back from injury for 2 years and it hasn't worked - why are some people moaning at the people that have gone

Hart - not featured in the last year much - has served the club well but all good things come to an end - won't be missed on the pitch as hasn't played that much 2007/2008
Butters - has served the club well but all good things come to an end - hasn't played a massive amount of games mainly covered injures in 2007/2008 - at the age of 38 we would have expected this anyway

Mayo - not featured in the last year much - has served the club well but all good things come to an end - all good things have to come to an end which kerry has said himself on the radio - he can also do what he said on the interview - now go back to being an Albion Fan

Martot - was only a loan player anyway
Reid - the club have been trying to get reid back from injury for 2 years and it hasn't worked - i feel that after all that has been done for him this is very uncalled for by the parting shot
Rents - was given a year contract and has not proved himself - when given the opportunities i feel he is not a strong enough player to be left back - look at him and then looik at richards - its speaks for itself in my opinion

Mcfaul - was only a loan player who didn't work out

Cobbs Skinner and Winterton - have obviously not performed to what club needs so have been released - players need to get over it - the same happened to breach last year - it happens

Hinsh - he is being given the same opportunity as charlie last season - both given a lot less that paul reid has been given ( ie 2 YEARS )

i don't think anytime is good to deliver this type of news but i think Dean has let people know as quickly as he could - when would be a good time to deliver this news like this?

Spot on.

People might also want to ask this year's player of the year what he thinks of the manager that has trained, developed and played him since his teens is.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Spot on.

People might also want to ask this year's player of the year what he thinks of the manager that has trained, developed and played him since his teens is.

if you are successful under the manager that gave you your chance and let you make a name for yourself it is always going to cloud your view

i wonder what adam virgo would say if you asked him about mark mcghee?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Spot on.

but then look at the rest of the people Wilkins released, all his Youth Team he has been with for years and years.

That must have been hard for Wilkins to say bye to those he has been nurturing since they left school, and like wise for the younger players that came through the youth system, thinking Wilkins was their best way into the 1st team squad, only to be told by the same man their dream was over.

In my opinion I think it was harder for the released youth team players to take, than the seasoned pros like Reid. If Reid felt like this article, then the youth teamers must feel a lot worse

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
And who could blame him, sorry to go over old ground but Reid or Loft? Hmmm...

I would agree Reid (before his injury) or loft,no contest but..................

Dandyman

In London village.
but then look at the rest of the people Wilkins released, all his Youth Team he has been with for years and years.

That must have been hard for Wilkins to say bye to those he has been nurturing since they left school, and like wise for the younger players that came through the youth system, thinking Wilkins was their best way into the 1st team squad, only to be told by the same man their dream was over.

In my opinion I think it was harder for the released youth team players to take, than the seasoned pros like Reid. If Reid felt like this article, then the youth teamers must feel a lot worse

Fair point, which IMO shows that Wilkins is making football decisions not ones based on favouritism or self-interest.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I have needed to (unfortunately) "let people go" or make them redundant in the past and it's (obviously) not enjoyable for either party. I have also been made redundant - so I can see both perspectives.

The reality is that it is always "bad timing" (when can it be good timing?) and some people take it stoically, some with relief and some need to shout back and/or let off steam.

Unfortunately the article in todays Argus is an example of the latter.

It's an understandable reaction, it's a common reaction and it's regretable. In this example it doesn't necessarily show Reid in a good light when perhaps he should be showing other managers what a good buy he may be.

Let's hope that everyone who has been released by the club can move onwards.

:albion:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
reid has always struck me as one of the most unlikley people to go one of these types of rants - seems a bit out of character

oh well, when something like this happened with mcghee it was bad man management. when something similar happens with wilkins, it is the player mouthing off and naylor trying to have a dig at the club

would be interesting to see what the other senior pros think about being released - hart seemed to have a subtle dig at wilkins in what he posted on here yesterday, i wonder if any of the others are thinking something similar?

I can tell you what those senior pros are likely to think.

That the current manager never really gave them a chance and that he had his favourites and that he should of given me at least an extra year.

Just like at the beginning of their careers when they were given there early opportunities, the senior pros being released to make way from them.

It called the progression of a football club, it seems that the Butters, Mayo and Hart saw this coming, kinda accepted it and are probably working today to try and secure another club.

Maybe this is why they are considered legends by many and Reid is not.

I've heard similar concerns about Wilkins from other sources.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Dean is sadly doing his job, I thought Reid was one of our best players but since his injury has struggled to regain form and a place.

I believe he is one of those players that will pop up someone in the lower leagues and command a position in another team.

Wilkins will be judged now on how he spends his money in the market, he has certainly made budget avalible. Even though I think Mayo and Hart played well when needed I bet Wilkins would have liked to have released them to have money to play with.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
this is a managers job. noone likes being told they are not good enough and with the enflated ego's of footballers these days this was expected. shame it came from reid a player who i have hoped for the last 2 years could recapture the form he showd in the past. shame but he will be replace and so will all the others. Just like we have replaced old faces of the past like watson chippie and oatway. Deano shouldnt be criticised he has done nothing wrong and obv a player who isnt getting picked will blame the manage. the team has progressed throughout the season and i cant see ried getting back in it next season.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Sounds like a heavy dose of sour grapes to me.

Nail on the head there! As much as I allways thought Reid was an honest hard working pro it's also true that in the time he's been here he's never been good enough in any one position to make it his own, And if he's looking at being a utility player then he's behing Adam El Abd in the pecking order there as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...it does seem to be a recurring theme. Players were saying similar stuff around Xmas time.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Although Wilkins has got rid of loads he is doing a great job, and if he can keep up the standard of signings then our squad next season will be much better than this - which at the end of the day is what we ALL want

Keepers
Needs to sign someone to push Kuipers, and maybe disloge him as number 16

Defenders
Out - Butters, Mayo, Rents, Cobbs
In - Whing
I would say that Whing is better than any of the 4 above, a quality defender

Midfielders
Out - Hammond, Reid, Martot, McFaul, O Callaghan
In - Thomson, Racon, Westlake, McFaul, O Callaghan
I didnt agree with Hammond leaving as he has a massive influence, but he had to go. Racon, Westlake and Thomson are at the level Hammond was and could be better

Strikers
Out - Elder, Revell, Savage
In - Murray, Forster, Dixon
Murray and Forster are possible the best 2 signings we have made in years, absolute quality, and much better than what we released

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Letting Reid go was the right decision.

His dig at Wilkins has been manipulated by Naylor, however, this adds to my slight concern regarding Wilkins man management skills.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I've heard similar concerns about Wilkins from other sources.

What concerns?

Do the players dislike him personally? or dislike his training methods? or his communication? or team selection / tactics? or do they think he doesn't know what he's doing?

It all sounds VERY worrying to me.... is he losing the dressing room? :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here