Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reid lays into Wilkins

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As much as i like Reid, he is never fit.
Thats entirley what the decision was based on i am sure.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
the 3 bullet points at the start of the article arent really mentioned in the rest of the article - it is a twist on what Reid actually said.

Yes there is truth in the bullet points, but it makes Wilkins much more of a villian that was really necessary

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Paul Reid has a good point, but it is not just our club that does this. A lot of other clubs have had a massive clearout and made late decisions. Unfortunately the lack of finance in the lower leagues means that tough decisions have to be made and these decisions can't be made during the season, can they? Is it right to tell someone that they are not going to have a contract renewed during the middle of February, when they may possibly still play a part in the team?

As far as man management skills are concerned, perhaps he does need to sharpen up his act. Paul Reid does not seem to be the sort of person that would lay into someone out of bitterness.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I dont understand why it is described as a LATE decision to tell players.

I and a number of other people yesterday were giving praise as we thought the club were doing things EARLY and giving the players more chance of getting a club over the summer (at least 100 days)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He can say what he likes ,facts are he is pretty injury prone and when fit hardly sets the world alight. I don't subscribe to the NSC view of Paul Reid at all. If ever a player has been built up on here then this is the one

edit - liked the way Naylor says "joining them in the dole que!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Having read it looks like nothing more than a dissapointed player caught at a bad time by a journalist who gets off on even the slightest whiff of an anti-albion story
And there it is, it's written as if Reid just ranted that whole statment but in reality Naylor is a journolist and knows what questions to ask in order to get quotes, he most likely promped alot of that statement out of Reid.

As for the timing, when else is he supposed to let the players know?
Godd luck to Reid though, he's a good player but as he said himself, his face just didn't fit with this manager, that's football I'm afraid.

It's a shame that a row seems to have emerged from yesterdays cull, but unfortunately Wilkins is in the position of having to make tough and unpopular decisions, that's what managing is about. Whilst it was sad to see some great pros like Gary, Guy, Kerry and Paul get the axe, surely it was the best long term decision for the club if we are to progress next season.

I hope Paul's bitterness doesn't last and that he remembers the good times that he's had here. It must have been incredibly frustrating over the last year or so and that probably played a part in his comments, but he has to remember that Deano has to look towards putting together a team that can aspire to championship football at Falmer and in all fairness I did not see an injury-prone Reid being a part of it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I dont understand why it is described as a LATE decision to tell players.

I and a number of other people yesterday were giving praise as we thought the club were doing things EARLY and giving the players more chance of getting a club over the summer (at least 100 days)

There is 2 points to address here.

Was the decision left to late and should he have been given mores chances to have proved himself.
On the first point I would say that the club have acted correctly as this is how it has always worked and should come as no surprise, ie dates. He has not been included in games even when fit so that must have been a pretty strong indication as to how Wilkins rated him and his chances of a contract renewal.

On the second point, surely he has had enough chances over the 4 years and what with his growing history of injuries I think the club have got it right in releasing him.

He has not been a bad player by any means but at least he has a chance at 28 to make an impact somewhere else if he stays fit.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
No matter how "fun" it must be to play football as a profession. That is exactly what it is to him - a PROFESSION. It's his job, his career. Call it what you like but basically he is now out of work, so maybe a little compassion?? Imagine if you lost your job tomorrow!

Erm, that is what basically what I said. I said good luck to him and I mean it. But this is that nature of the career he chose.

And I lost my job in January and I am still looking for work in what is a very quiet market at the moment. So no imagination required pal!

Dandyman

In London village.
Thats a hell of a broadside but I am confused.

Surely Wilkins is a superb all round manager and gets on with all his players. Surely this sort of thing only happened with Mark McGhee as thats why I have had rammed down my throat for a year and a half. Harty alluded to a similar dissatisfaction and may well have been more forthright if he did not have his testamonial coming up.

Can someone explain ?.

Really? Has Deano lost the dressing room or run out of ideas on the pitch? It seems you have as much grip on reality as the other Spielberg.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think he is blaming the wrong guy really. DIck pulls the strings for sure. Dean is a young manager learning his trade, Dick is one of the most dominant chairman in the country. Dean needs to gain experience so that he can handle Dick better. I suspect if Dean had had his way he would have told some players a few weeks ago.

I do agree though that Dean should not be letting Paul Reid go. Top guy ad a versatile footballer. Also one of the few players we have who is the peak age of 24-30. That kind of guy should be kept on.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I do agree though that Dean should not be letting Paul Reid go. Top guy ad a versatile footballer. Also one of the few players we have who is the peak age of 24-30. That kind of guy should be kept on.

Or the kind of player who has been injury prone who has never really delivered and whose salary could be used to get a better player?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's just CROSS because he's been released. A natural reaction for sure, but just because Reid doesn't like it, doesn't make it a bad decision. And it's the start of the summer - plenty of time for him to get fixed up.

Personally, I'm quite pleased to see him go. He was OK I suppose, but didn't pull up any trees for us, and was rarely out of the treatment room. I'm fairly confident we'll get a better player in for the money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must admit, I'm quite surprised not so much at Reid's disappointment - that's natural and expected - but his offloading of that on to Andy Naylor.

Maybe the players don't have the NSC paranoia of Naylor's alleged agenda? Not a mention of McGhee either which is no doubt a big disappointment to much of NSC :ohmy:

PS where else could Reid have been expected to express his views? The Sydney Chronicle? ( or whatever the local sports paper is down there) or is he not supposed to speak out?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Thats a hell of a broadside but I am confused.

Surely Wilkins is a superb all round manager and gets on with all his players. Surely this sort of thing only happened with Mark McGhee as thats why I have had rammed down my throat for a year and a half. Harty alluded to a similar dissatisfaction and may well have been more forthright if he did not have his testamonial coming up.

Can someone explain ?.

Turn it in Gareth.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Reid has worked hard at this club and I'm sorry to see him go but its the right decision, as it was with Butters, Mayo and Hart..... painful but good business. We are now looking to a bright future and money needs to be freed up to bring in players who can play Championship football in the future. I think there would have been more surprises if there were more contracts up for negotitaion.

Seriously, on the Loft issue, money is not freed up by letting him go, he is still very young and he has been consistently on the fringes, unlike McFaul. He costs us nothing to keep until we get a better player to cover or he realises his potential.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I love Naylors points highlighted in Blue

Reid fires parting shot
By Andy Naylor

Paul Reid has directed a parting shot at Albion boss Dean Wilkins and his management style.

The normally mild-mannered Australian is seething over the the handling of his departure from the Seagulls.

Reid claims Wilkins:
- Does not communicate enough with his players
- Lacks man-management skills
- Shows disrespect in his treatment of senior pros

Reid was among ten players released by the club yesterday in an end-of-season clear-out.

He has been joined on the dole queue by long-serving trio Kerry Mayo, Gary Hart and Guy Butters, plus Sam Rents, David Martot, Shane McFaul, Sonny Cobbs, Chris Winterton and Lloyd Skinner.

The versatile Reid, hit by a succession of long-term injury problems since the start of last season, says he knew what was coming when he walked into Wilkins' office at the training ground at Falmer yesterday morning.

The 28-year-old from Sydney, signed on a free transfer from Bradford City four years ago, forced his way back into the first team in January but then suffered medial knee ligament damage.

Reid said: "When Dean Wilkins said they were not going to be giving me another contract, I sarcastically said to him shock, horror'.

"I knew just from what has gone on over the last few months and even just the last few weeks really. I strained my medial ligament at the wrong time. I had just got back into the team and I was unlucky with that injury.

"For the last six weeks that I've been back I've played five reserve games in four different positions. It gets to the stage where you think if somebody wants you at the club they would give you an opportunity to shine and prove your worth.

"The reserves played Leyton Orient away and I played left midfield. I know I was our best player in that game but I didn't get in the first team squad that weekend. You know deep down that when your face doesn't fit you have got no chance.

"I was coming back at the start of the season from a serious knee injury. You have got to get back into the swing of things and the feel of playing football again.

"When you haven't played for so long you need a run of games where you are given a bit of a chance and I haven't found that this year.

"The medial ligament injury didn't help but, even before that, I travelled with the team to all the games and Sam Rents and I were always the ones left out.

"You have got to stay positive but when you don't get any feedback from the coaching staff, any communication between them and you, then it makes it difficult. You keep putting in 100 per cent in training and don't complain and that's what Sam and I did."

With his contract running out and his future up in the air, the frustration mounted for Reid and other senior members of the squad as they awaited their fate.

He said: "You would think someone who has played should know how to man manage people. All players want is honesty. If the manager doesn't want you then you just prefer them to be honest with you, so you can look elsewhere.

"They don't want to be left out in the cold, get to this stage of the season and then get told you are not being signed next year. It makes it difficult when you have given your all in every game you have played. I have done so much for this club, on and off the pitch.

"You understand that sometimes a manager likes you, sometimes they don't. If they don't then you would prefer to know there and then that you are not wanted so you can move on and look for other things.

"That is the main thing. I have spoken to all of the players and, as you can imagine, none of the players are happy with the way it has been dealt with. It has been left so late.

"It is a bit of a lack of respect to us as players. A lot of these players have mortgages and families. This is their livelihoods.

"I made it clear in my meeting yesterday that it's not great leaving it so late and Dean Wilkins agreed.

"He said the timing wasn't great but then said he is not fully to blame and that, seeing as I know the chairman so well, why don't I speak to him about why it was left so late?

"The management and coaching staff deal with the players on a daily basis and it seemed like he was shifting the blame on the chairman, when it should be the management who are making the decisions.

"They know what the players are doing in training, how they are performing and what sort of characters they are."

Reid admits the whole experience has left him with a nasty taste in the mouth after six goals in 104 appearances in midfield and at full-back for Albion, which included helping them to promotion in his first few months at the club and then staying in the Championship.

He said: "I love being at this club and I am normally a person who sits back, doesn't let things bother me.

"If the manager asks me to play in a certain position I won't complain. I have been left out most of the season and I don't cause any trouble.

"I have respected the management and the club and to be treated like we have been and left out in the cold shows a lack of respect.

"I am angry so people like Kerry and Harty, who have been here for ten or 11 years, must be pulling their hair out."

Reid now aims to prove Albion are wrong to let him go by continuing his career in England, rather than returning Down Under. He said: "My wife and I have settled here. I have just become a British citizen and I have already turned down a three-year deal to go back to the Australian A League. People must think I'm mad but we want to stay here.

"I want to prove them (Albion) wrong. They said since I have been here I have not made one position my own. I thought being versatile and filling different positions has benefited the club and the team. "Now it seems like that has been one of my downfalls."

Wilkins said: "I always knew a big part of the job would be to bring to a close a very successful era in the club's history. A player's time, however successful, always eventually comes to an end.

"All the contract decisions that were made were entirely for footballing reasons and nothing else. I don't take any pleasure delivering this type of news to players, having suffered it first hand in 1996 along with our first team coach, Ian Chapman, who had just been voted player of the season, but it is part of the game.

"Equally, the timing of informing the players is part of the profession. About 90 per cent of Football League clubs inform out of contract players at this time of the season. Officially we have until May 17 and some clubs still have not announced their retained lists.

"I would like to be able to tell players earlier but that was not practicable as opinions and decisions were not finalised. I thank all the players I had to see yesterday for their professionalism on the pitch throughout their time at the club and I wish them all the very best for the future."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My views;

Reidy - good footballer - top bloke.
However - has HAS been injury prone, and the club has dutifuly paid his wages every month, over th last two years, of which for only about 7 months has he actually been avaiable to play. The club has NOT treated him shoddily, far from it.

He has been given as much warning as he could have been, to go look elsewhere, and if as he says he 'knew it was coming' then in reality he's had longer still to sort himself out.

His wages will be used to get in Leven or someone else, and we will all move forward.

I really like Paul reid and I'm personally sad to see him leave, but if the manager is not going to pick him to play its in no-one's benefit for him to stay.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am surprised that a fairly experienced player has decided to come out and explained his own particular disappointment.

Players always wish to know sooner, but generally you get a feel from the club/manager where you stand at anyone time and with his injuries was always likely to be vulnerable.

As for the timing, well the manager will decide when he wants this to happen within the guidelines set out and that must be right.

90% presumely decide to tell them at least this late and I can see why.

No manager wants to work with a group of players, some with their own grievances as shown so well by Reid whilst trying to continue to play league games.

Reid's real gripe isnt timing but the decision itself, its hurt him.

I note that he was also given a 'free' at Bradford, I wonder when he was told by them there that they didnt wish to retain him ?

It can be a tough profession at times, but he continues to have a career and if he stays fit he might get another few years of being paid a decent wage as a footballer, so in many respects he is fortunate.

He should spare a thought for the young scholars that were released yesterday, now they really have had there dreams shattered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here