Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reid lays into Wilkins

And there it is, it's written as if Reid just ranted that whole statment but in reality Naylor is a journolist and knows what questions to ask in order to get quotes, he most likely promped alot of that statement out of Reid.

As for the timing, when else is he supposed to let the players know?
Godd luck to Reid though, he's a good player but as he said himself, his face just didn't fit with this manager, that's football I'm afraid.

It sounds too simple to say his face didn't fit, and suggests that DW has favourites based on what - looks??

It doesn't help any player to parade around with his bird at his place of business, looking like a cool young David Beckham celebrity, but it does help if a player looks like a consummate professional who is aching to get on the pitch and play team football - and that's even if he is injured.
How is it we have seen so little of Paul Reid all season, even on the bench? Why would our club, of all clubs, be paying someone hundreds of pounds every week to watch from the stands? Why have we not heard about the fellow doing amazing things in the reserves and deserving a shot at the first team, like we did with Jake Robinson not too long ago?
If the guy isn't going to be looking like getting on that pitch and making things happen for Brighton and Hove Albion - then let him go, simple as that.

Adam Hinshelwood has had bad injuries and perhaps tried too hard to get back before - and paid dearly for it. He's focussed, apparently, on starting for us next season. A physician would probably be making that decision for him too.
I'd imagine good sense will prevail if Hinshelwood can't be an asset, can't compete or stay physically unimpaired for any length of time next season - but this time, it would probably be career-over for him as a pro footballer let's face it.

People come and go, and not many of NSC have gone through a professional life without glitches or disagreements with our employers. Many of you have been laid off, endured pay-cuts, or plain sacked. If you are employers, you have fired employees or had to shake them up.

All facts of professional life, business is business and where that is concerned there's no place for passengers unless you're one of the Royal Family (or married to a politician).

Last edited:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
If it is true that Reid was offered a three year contract in the A-League, he must be really confident in his ability to get a chance at another English club to have turned that down. Especially with his injury history.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Albion have been more than generous over the last few years in retaining players who I thought were past their sell-by. This time, the writings been on the wall since Lloyd was taken on in a full-time scouting role, we were always going to have a clear-out this summer and its not before time. Did Reid really expect to be offered a contract extension in January whilst he's on the treatment table (again) ? His gripe seems to be that we've not told him till after the end of the season - well "shock, horror" to use his own words, thats the way it is in football ! Did he seriously expect Wilkins to start getting embroiled in multiple contract negotiations and start telling players they're being released, during a run-in when we still had an outside chance of the Playoffs right up until the penultimate game ? Cos this kind of broadside ni the press would have been JUST what the team would need on the eve of what could have turned out to be some crucial games for us. I'm surprised and disappointed at Reids bitterness, but then perhaps he was just shooting from the lip having only just been given the news.

Thats the nature of the business fella.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
nothing surprising there unless it was Wilkins' slip[ in referring him to the Chairman

So Deano isn't the best man manager in the world. Big deal

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Notice the way Wilkins NEVER praises FDM even when he has been OUTSTANDING on lots of occasions this season. Now all of the older pros have been turfed out. What is it with Wilkins and the older members of the squad? Maybe he feels threatened by them because they know better than the younger lot?

And I'm a Wilkins fan btw - I just wanted to air that one thought.
Wilkins never singles out any one player for praise or criticism. Also he signed Nicky Forster who could be far more 'threatening' to a manager than Paul Reid.

The only thing that strikes me as slightly odd is the supposed comment about Dick Knight...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shame it has ended like this as I like Reid a lot.

However the facts don't lie and he has had an unlucky run of injuries and we cannot afford to pay for players who may be subject to a few appearances a season due to finances.

We have had Dodd, Kitson and El Turienzo to name a few who cost us dear on wages and delivered precious little.

I stand by Wilkins with this decision.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
If this is true, and not just Naylor being a twat as usual, then Paul Reid will go down a fair bit in my eyes.

Why would a manager tell players their not getting new deals before the end of the season? Hardly make them try harder will it.

I agree with the decision to let Reid go. He's never fit!

I also think the main part of the story is the comment that Wilkins is ment to have said about DK. I think we may have a manager getting fed up with the inference from the chairman. Dean Wilkins is one of the easiest blokes to get on with, so if Paul Reid's said what was printed, then I would suggest he's the one with the problem

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
If this is true, and not just Naylor being a twat as usual, then Paul Reid will go down a fair bit in my eyes.

Why would a manager tell players their not getting new deals before the end of the season? Hardly make them try harder will it.

I agree with the decision to let Reid go. He's never fit!

I also think the main part of the story is the comment that Wilkins is ment to have said about DK. I think we may have a manager getting fed up with the inference from the chairman. Dean Wilkins is one of the easiest blokes to get on with, so if Paul Reid's said what was printed, then I would suggest he's the one with the problem

Exactly.

DK pulling the strings on his puppet again.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Reid was probably told at the right time, however a bit disappointed he wasn't given the Swansea game to play in. Our midfield was poor and Reidy could have at least given Wilkins something to think about. Is a very good player in his day and will find another League 1 club with no problems.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
What has gone on behind the scenes is for us all to guess, but there certainly isnt any smoke without fire.

The timing of the outburst seems like sour grapes,but he isnt the first player to have slated wilkins man management skills and lack of communication with players....as far as we know he may only communicate with those who he has a strong interest in playing wise and the injured possible released players just get tossed aside.

These are peoples careers and if reid did think he was getting a new contract then surely management should have pre warned him of what they were doing.

I never understand this lack of communication thing, when we go into work each day..we actually speak to our bosses or people in charge...but in football these seem so distant...as if the chairman is some god that cannot be spoken to or approached, just seems a strange business to me.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What has gone on behind the scenes is for us all to guess, but there certainly isnt any smoke without fire.

The timing of the outburst seems like sour grapes,but he isnt the first player to have slated wilkins man management skills and lack of communication with players....as far as we know he may only communicate with those who he has a strong interest in playing wise and the injured possible released players just get tossed aside.
Who else has?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Reid was probably told at the right time, however a bit disappointed he wasn't given the Swansea game to play in. Our midfield was poor and Reidy could have at least given Wilkins something to think about. Is a very good player in his day and will find another League 1 club with no problems.

I find it amazing how many people think it might of been a good idea to give xyz a run out before they left.

I said it before we are thankfully a professional football club and not 'Jim'll Fix It'.

Wilkins rightly is already looking torwards next season, he has taken a difficult decision, but most on here agree quite sensible ones.

Why was Reid so shocked, I could of told him he was likely to be let go, he never plays and the team has performed very well without him, getting to a very respectable 7th place, with youngsters being favoured ahead of him.

God knows what his agent was saying to him !!

He said it himself he said 'Shock Horror' when told so a contridiction when it came to his disappointment.

Of course I wish him well, but not too sure why you think he will get a League 1 club no problem.

What exactly has he achieved in the past 2 season's, I am sure other managers are looking at other players in front of him.

These are peoples careers and if reid did think he was getting a new contract then surely management should have pre warned him of what they were doing.

I never understand this lack of communication thing, when we go into work each day..we actually speak to our bosses or people in charge...but in football these seem so distant...as if the chairman is some god that cannot be spoken to or approached, just seems a strange business to me.

Lack of communication between managers and players at football clubs happens all the time. Managers either like a player or they don't.
Look at Coppell when he was with us, he froze Adam Virgo out, didn't talk to him allegedgly and loaned him to Exeter City.
Coppell goes, McGhee arrives, Virgo plays!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I find it amazing how many people think it might of been a good idea to give xyz a run out before they left.

I said it before we are thankfully a professional football club and not 'Jim'll Fix It'.

Wilkins rightly is already looking torwards next season, he has taken a difficult decision, but most on here agree quite sensible ones.

Why was Reid so shocked, I could of told him he was likely to be let go, he never plays and the team has performed very well without him, getting to a very respectable 7th place, with youngsters being favoured ahead of him.

God knows what his agent was saying to him !!

He said it himself he said 'Shock Horror' when told so a contridiction when it came to his disappointment.

Of course I wish him well, but not too sure why you think he will get a League 1 club no problem.

What exactly has he achieved in the past 2 season's, I am sure other managers are looking at other players in front of him.

Blimey
You CAN be sensible then.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Lack of communication between managers and players at football clubs happens all the time. Managers either like a player or they don't.

Thats very true.

The thing is that if we accept that Wilkins didnt see Reid as an asset to his team, what is a manager meant to say to him ?

He cant be dishonest and say you play the next two reserves game and do well I will give you two years.

And he couldnt say, to be honest Reidy I just dont fancy you, so no matter how you do today your out ! ( unless specifically asked, which it seemed he wasnt ).

So generally the manager knows he cant give encouraging words to an experienced player that is likely to be released.

I suspect that most professional players accept that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here