Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reid lays into Wilkins

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He can speak out to whoever he chooses.

Not that it will do him much good to speak to the Argus.

Of course he can, my comment was in response to your suprise that he had chosen to speak to the Argus. Still interested as to where else you think he should have or even could have chosen.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quite funny observing how amoungst the fans there is a pro-Knight group and anti-Knight group, which seems to extend towards their feelings towards coaching staff and players.

Like Knight, unsure about Wilkins and vice versa.

I wondering whether split exists within the playing staff to a certain extent.

Understandable I guess. Seems to me that Wilkins is very much his own man.

From my own limited contacts, I've just come to the conclusion that some players like certain manager for various reasons and others do not. Sounds obvious I know, but I don't think even under Mcghee (or now) we've had or got a situation where the manager has lost the dressing room. Just that both managers aren't particularly interested in keeping everybody happy for the sake of it.

Last edited:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Just re-read the article and it really is a heap of nothing. Just an angry rant from a player let go.

He had five games in the reserves, and is surprised he didn't get back in the team ahead of Westlake? Who's on loan costing us 3 grand a week (allegedly).

He's miffed about the timing (which is when most clubs announce their releases) but saw it coming months ago and did nothing about it?

And when he whinges to Dean, Dean says "if you're not happy talk to my boss". Wow! Just like real management.

And Hart and Mayo must be well miffed, they must have thought their loan spells were just to get them fit!

For christ sake, this does undermine the "true professional" image.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course he can, my comment was in response to your suprise that he had chosen to speak to the Argus. Still interested as to where else you think he should have or even could have chosen.

Why did he need to choose anywhere?

As I said, what purpose does it serve? Was he hoping for a Geoffrey Howe resignation-type reaction? There would be very little benefit for Reid because, as we have seen on here, that rant is largely being shrugged off by many as someone who wanted a rant. I suppose it gives Andy Naylor a bit of space filler.

Can't help feeling this story is going to be splashed all over tomorrow's fish and chips.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why did he need to choose anywhere?

As I said, what purpose does it serve? Was he hoping for a Geoffrey Howe resignation-type reaction? There would be very little benefit for Reid because, as we have seen on here, that rant is largely being shrugged off by many as someone who wanted a rant. I suppose it gives Andy Naylor a bit of space filler.

Can't help feeling this story is going to be splashed all over tomorrow's fish and chips.

Oh well, I found his comments interesting and it's good to hear how players feel imo. So much better than the club line of " we'd like to thank so and so for all his endeavours and blah blah blah" which is the stock response to a player being released and really says nothing about the reasoning, which the club are never going to publicise.

Whether it was right or wrong doesn't really matter. he felt pissed off enough to let his feelings be known, good luck to him.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Reidy wasn't injury prone, when we took him on a free from Bradford City. He just been unlucky with those two nasty injuries, which could of retired him. In my mind, I thought Reidy could of been given another shot. Because with a good pre-season under his belt, I'm sure we could of saw the best of him. It does wonder me through, does Wilkins really know what he is doing?!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Reidy wasn't injury prone, when we took him on a free from Bradford City. He just been unlucky with those two nasty injuries, which could of retired him. In my mind, I thought Reidy could of been given another shot. Because with a good pre-season under his belt, I'm sure we could of saw the best of him. It does wonder me through, does Wilkins really know what he is doing?!

I agree with that. Reid looked to be our best player shortly before his injury and it is bitterly disappointing that he has struggled so much. I am sure we will find out the answer to your last question next season. It does seem as though we have done our homework and with Barry Lloyd on board, we may see some exciting transfer activity OR at least I hope we do!

Current finances might suggest that we can't take any further risks on Reidy and we have to move on. Sad, as he was one of my favourite players. :(

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Having been a bit busy recently I haven't had much time to focus on the "clearout". But now I've read this thread I can only conclude that the club have pretty much made the right decisions. Some were no doubt very tough, and I wouldn't have envied Wilkins giving the bad news to ten players. Last year I seem to remember a whole load of whingers moaning about why we kept the likes of Butters, Mayo and Hart. As it happened, we certainly needed all three at various junctures. Now, though, we need to prepare for something altogether more challenging. I'd be surprised if most on here aren't expecting at least a top six finish next season. To achieve that we need to bring in four or five really decent players, and we all know that this will cost money. The reality of life is that releasing the ten players means more funds available to bring in the new guys.

Given all that, Naylor could quite easily have written something headed "Albion make right decision to release 10 players". But that wouldn't have sold many papers.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I wonder what the reaction would have been on here if it was mcghee Ried was having a pop at? mmmm:glare:

total agreement, poor management in isolating the player, mcghee must go?

put it this way, nobody would be questioning what purpose the rant served, it would be more of a thank you reid for giving us an insight into the club as regards to what is going on/another reason to beat mcghee

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Just re-read the article and it really is a heap of nothing. Just an angry rant from a player let go.

He had five games in the reserves, and is surprised he didn't get back in the team ahead of Westlake? Who's on loan costing us 3 grand a week (allegedly).

He's miffed about the timing (which is when most clubs announce their releases) but saw it coming months ago and did nothing about it?

And when he whinges to Dean, Dean says "if you're not happy talk to my boss". Wow! Just like real management.

And Hart and Mayo must be well miffed, they must have thought their loan spells were just to get them fit!

God your talk some shit .......

But you are spot on .... !!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

:) BEST post in this thread.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
As usual, great piece of journalistic shit-stirring from Mr A Naylor. When are the Argus going to do us all a favour and get rid of this prat.

Get Brian Owen doing the reporting...At least he's impartial and reports on the facts!

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
reidy also had a little go at McGhee when he was on the radio summarising with hawsey. can't remember the details but it surprised me then just as this article has surprised me a little. it does seem quite unprofessional to go into detail to the press on what was said at such a meeting. I rated him, and feel bad that he never got back to real fitness, but hopefully he'll find a club again and regain fitness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here