Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paralympics?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think the thing that comes across is that alot of them believe that their disabilities have actually been a good thing for them rather than a negative.

In alot of the interviews the athletes state that if they hadn't had a disability they wouldn't have got to do all the wonderful things that they have done in life if they had been able bodied

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
What is the point?

If the name of the game is to be the best, there is a distinct irony in that they are by no means anywhere near the best!!

If you can't compete at the top level (Olympics) then you shouldn't be competing in a worldwide event at all!!

They are milking olympic funds for something that no one gives a toss about!!

PM me and come and play a bit of wheelchair basketball.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I think there are two issues here.
1) People should not try to put down someones achievements in trying to be the top of their sport, be it in the main olympics or the paralympics.
2) Should the paralympics be televised on mainstream BBC when the England games are only on Setanta? I dont know?

You forget the fact that all the main channels bid for the rights to show England games as they know they will be popular. They don't say 'oh let's just stick england games on a channel not many people have'.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I care more about and would much rather watch most of the paralympic events than i do about the sailing people we're supposed to care about because we win or people riding horses slowly.

And this BBC1's schedule for tonight, i think the paralympics would be far better viewing than this shite
5:15 pm
The Weakest Link
6:00 pm
BBC News at Six
BBC London News
The One Show
EastEnders
8:00 pm
Holby City
9:00 pm
Mutual Friends
10:00 pm
BBC News at Ten
10:25 pm
BBC London News
The latest stories from the BBC London newsroom. Followed by Weather.
10:35 pm
Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
???Mate, you don't compete in sport to try and get on telly!!

I know that! There was a post on perhaps they do not want coverage, intimating that possibly the competitors would want to avoid the camera for whatever reason. I was pointing out that they wouldn't be where they are if they were to shy away with their disability.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sometimes I wonder how certain people on this forum have the brain power to turn on a computer, let alone type a coherent sentence...

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I know that! There was a post on perhaps they do not want coverage, intimating that possibly the competitors would want to avoid the camera for whatever reason. I was pointing out that they wouldn't be where they are if they were to shy away with their disability.

no you said 'camera shy'. it sounded like you were saying people wouldn't go into sport if they were camera shy. they're 2 different things altogether.

1067Seagull

Banned
Jun 27, 2008
The problem is that the competition isn't fair. The 100metres for wheelchairs always goes to the country with the strongest magnet.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
no you said 'camera shy'. it sounded like you were saying people wouldn't go into sport if they were camera shy. they're 2 different things altogether.

No, that is not what I meant. Perhaps I should have said recluse. I am not sure why it was suggested that Paralympians might not want coverage anyway.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
On a more important note, Gail Emms was on 'Fighting Talk' the at the weekend and was very amusing. Went in my estimation from being a 3 or 4 pinter to a Martini.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
What I don’t get about the Paralympics is why it’s not on before the main ones? If it was it would be a tasty preview before the main event. Instead it’s on when everyone has had enough of people bobbing up and down in a boat and shooting clay pigeons.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
In one of the wheelchair races for the Women there was a huge pile up after someone lost control. That should be pretty hilarious for the 33% of NSC that think its funny to laugh at the paralympics. I'll see if I can find it for you.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
But is it not more important that somebody who may have suffered a catastrophic event in their life, such as losing a limb, or being paralysed or blinded, has something to strive for?

Let's be honest, disabled people often have a pretty shit time of it in everyday life, for trivial reasons that you probably don't even consider, and the Paralympics just might be a chance to show the world what they are capable of, rather than what they aren't, for once?

Nobody's suggesting that a 100m runner with cerebral palsy, for example, is the fastest man on earth, but I suspect if you asked one of the competitors, that's not what it's about.

Absobloodylutely.

What an utter twat that first poster was. I interviewed Eleanor Simmonds a month or so ago, the 13-year-old Paralympic swimmer who won GOLD the other day. She, and most of the other Paralympians, are incredible athletes and they make many of the world's big 'name', highly paid footballers look like complete *****.

Well done Eleanor, you are a real star :clap2:

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
What is the point?

If the name of the game is to be the best, there is a distinct irony in that they are by no means anywhere near the best!!

If you can't compete at the top level (Olympics) then you shouldn't be competing in a worldwide event at all!!

They are milking olympic funds for something that no one gives a toss about!!

Mate, seriously just f*** off and put your fascist diatribe on another board. I suffer from cerebral palsy and consider what you say to be offensive. John Bumlick, you are also offensive. Paralympics has been around for years and will continue to do so, what's the problem with it?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I had one ear on the opening ceremony as I was clearing the lounge ready for a new carpet to be laid, and even though I wasn't concentrating on it I HAD to turn over because of the fawning and obseqious drivel being spouted by the Beeb's commentary team.

10 minutes of bollocks as a one armed bloke shins up a rope really did my head in.
Good luck to all of the competitors, it is a really worthwhile event BUT...the airtime it's been given is excessive, in much the same way that women's soccer gets the same disproportionate amount of airtime.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
10 minutes of bollocks as a one armed bloke shins up a rope really did my head in.
Good luck to all of the competitors, it is a really worthwhile event BUT...the airtime it's been given is excessive, in much the same way that women's soccer gets the same disproportionate amount of airtime.

Why? It's hardly bloody on the telly. I think there should be MORE of it! (Paralympics, that is, not women's football :lol: )

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Mate, seriously just f*** off and put your fascist diatribe on another board. I suffer from cerebral palsy and consider what you say to be offensive. John Bumlick, you are also offensive. Paralympics has been around for years and will continue to do so, what's the problem with it?

Well said there, I know for a fact we have a number of disabled Albion fans who read this board and find rubbish like that very offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here