Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paralympics?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Whatever happened to Morph anyway? Another class act that the Beeb f***ed off - probably for being too amusing: or not being egomaniacal enough. Kin' disgraceful :rant:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So because YOU don't enjoy watching it, you think it doesn't warrant the coverage it gets?
No. Because I don't enjoy watching it, I don't want it on the tellybox. However, the reason I don't think it warrants the coverage it gets is because it is very much a niche competition. I believe I said as much in my very first post.

Well done for parting with some cash. I am sure the over-exposed athletes are eternally grateful.

Dysmorphophobe :nono:
I did not in any way suggest the competitors should be grateful for my cash as you well know. The reason I said that was to highlight the fact that I am NOT a "dysmorphophobe" and was prepared to give it a chance. To be honest, you're just making yourself look pious and it really is very silly.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
:D I am only yanking your chain, Simster.

I have seen Nibble enjoy a "tete-a-tete" with you and thought I might give it a crack.

I don't agree with your coverage sentiment as it is only on once every four years and it provides valuable income, but the rest of my diatribe was not serious.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I dont find it particularly interesting viewing. However some of the posters appear to be saying that it should not be televised. How would Albion fans feel if they might have the chance to watch there team on the box? Only to be told we are in a minority and therefore it was not important enough to be screened?
"appear to be saying"? ??? No they don't. They appear to be saying it's a decent enough competition but that they don't have much interest in it, and questioning *how much* airtime it is getting. Not the same thing as asking for it to be removed from the screen altogether.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
:D I am only yanking your chain, Simster.

I have seen Nibble enjoy a "tete-a-tete" with you and thought I might give it a crack.

I don't agree with your coverage sentiment as it is only on once every four years and it provides valuable income, but the rest of my diatribe was not serious.

owned. :(

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The most impressive performance thus far, in my opinion, was one of the chinese strikers in the blind football. The ball was literally glued to both his feet and he would put most of our squad to shame with his ball control. Unreal.

NB If you haven't seen it, try and distance yourself from the image of Japanese Binocular Football.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"appear to be saying"? ??? No they don't. They appear to be saying it's a decent enough competition but that they don't have much interest in it, and questioning *how much* airtime it is getting. Not the same thing as asking for it to be removed from the screen altogether.

f*** me, you are a bore.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I am a new poster on here. I find it interesting and also sad as to some of the comments of here tonight. Disabled persons haven't had the best deal in life. the way I see it is as follows.........that my passion in life is the Albion. But most of my work colleagues think I am mad. Who I am to say what is more important to be screned on TV.? Maybe a nationwide poll would overwhelmingly vote for the Paralympics against a live Albion game? I dont begrudge it being shown on mainstream tv although agree it should not be on BBC2 and that the competitors are very condescending (which the disabled atheletes would hate even more to know of).

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
My son plays for the Seagulls Specials and I think it is fantastic opportunity for people with disabilities to get the chance to play competitive football. I see the paralympics as a similar opportunity and I think it is fantastic that the disabled have something to strive for and the chance to travel the world and compete against competitors from around the world.

However, would I want my son's football matches to televised. The answer is probably not. The standard is quite poor and to be honest I cannot see why anyone not connected to the players would want to watch other than to take the piss. The BBC show the paralympics to be all PC but I worry that many people watch them for all the wrong reasons.

To the guy that posted the sick poster - you're a wanker. You can try to justify yourself but you're still a wanker.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
My son plays for the Seagulls Specials and I think it is fantastic opportunity for people with disabilities to get the chance to play competitive football. I see the paralympics as a similar opportunity and I think it is fantastic that the disabled have something to strive for and the chance to travel the world and compete against competitors from around the world.

However, would I want my son's football matches to televised. The answer is probably not. The standard is quite poor and to be honest I cannot see why anyone not connected to the players would want to watch other than to take the piss. The BBC show the paralympics to be all PC but I worry that many people watch them for all the wrong reasons.

To the guy that posted the sick poster - you're a wanker. You can try to justify yourself but you're still a wanker.

Thank you. Really good to hear it "as it is". Especially from someone whom is speaking from experience unlike many of the posters tonight, including myself. Unfortunately we all have pre conceived ideas. For example that disabled atheletes wish to be seen on tv?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Thank you. Really good to hear it "as it is". Especially from someone whom is speaking from experience unlike many of the posters tonight, including myself. Unfortunately we all have pre conceived ideas. For example that disabled atheletes wish to be seen on tv?

I don't see why they wouldn't? The disabilities are nothing to be ashamed of and I daresay they would not be competing if they were "camera shy".

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here

oooh, mr hitony sir! he just called me a wanker!

and to you, andybaha, i really don't feel the need to justify anything to anyone. i posted it because i find it funny and it's relevant to this thread. that's not justification, that's explanation. i understand why you might not find it funny but i do...so either deal with it or ignore it.

or maybe i should just resort to name calling because i don't agree with your attitude...?

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
This thread is stupid.

If you dont wanna watch the Paralympics, THEN DON'T F**KING WATCH IT THEN! I'm sure you got other channels to watch or other things to do.

How many TV Channels do you have and how many of those channels show the Paralympics and how many hours a day of all these chanels put together are actually dedicated to the Paralympics?

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I don't see why they wouldn't? The disabilities are nothing to be ashamed of and I daresay they would not be competing if they were "camera shy".
I daresay they would not be competing if they were "camera shy".
Interesting point. Do you know the answer? How do you know the competitors are not camera shy? As the Dad with the lad in the Seagull Specials showed me tonight. We really don't know what we are talking about as we dont have a real insight.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Mr Bumlick
The poster you put on this site was very thought provocating. If nothing else it raised the issue of disabalities, be it of a physical or mental nature.
I hope this was your intention?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I daresay they would not be competing if they were "camera shy".
Interesting point. Do you know the answer? How do you know the competitors are not camera shy? As the Dad with the lad in the Seagull Specials showed me tonight. We really don't know what we are talking about as we dont have a real insight.

Obviously there will be individuals who are not too keen on the cameras as I am sure there are with the olympic athletes. I would be bold to suggest that the vast majority would want more coverage of their respective sports as opposed to once every four years. More coverage, means more money. I really do not think that one would make it to the olympics if they did not buy into the whole package i.e. facing the public and a worldwide audience.

Being hard of hearing (I hate that phrase), I have a less visual disability than missing a limb or other physical impairments, although it was a big step going into the crowded pub on the hockey social night with my first hearing aids. Took a while to get used to, but has never really been a problem. Chances are I miss the snide/rude/cruel comments from the general public. :D

Sportswise, I haven't quite made it to the televised standard.....yet! :angel:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Obviously there will be individuals who are not too keen on the cameras as I am sure there are with the olympic athletes. I would be bold to suggest that the vast majority would want more coverage of their respective sports as opposed to once every four years. More coverage, means more money. I really do not think that one would make it to the olympics if they did not buy into the whole package i.e. facing the public and a worldwide audience.

Being hard of hearing (I hate that phrase), I have a less visual disability than missing a limb or other physical impairments, although it was a big step going into the crowded pub on the hockey social night with my first hearing aids. Took a while to get used to, but has never really been a problem. Chances are I miss the snide/rude/cruel comments from the general public. :D

Sportswise, I haven't quite made it to the televised standard.....yet! :angel:

You are obviously right in that the disabled atheletes would never have flown to Bejing if they did not want to be seen on tv.
Maybe your hearing aid has been doing you a favour in life? Allowing you not to hear ther snide/rude/cruel comments from the general public whom are worth nothing?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You are obviously right in that the disabled atheletes would never have flown to Bejing if they did not want to be seen on tv.
Maybe your hearing aid has been doing you a favour in life? Allowing you not to hear ther snide/rude/cruel comments from the general public whom are worth nothing?

The hearing aids do help me hear the odd snide remark and it wouldn't be an issue at all if I wasn't deaf.

The fact is, there are some stats somewhere, that a large proportion of the general public are afraid/scared/dislike people with disabilities and will treat that person differently and will discriminate. A sad fact of life.

The major message, in my opinion, from the paralympics is that those with disabilities are regular people with the same emotions, drive and determination of able bodied people. Hell, if most of society had the same drive and determination as these athletes, the world would be a much better place.

Unfortunately, they are not able to compete on a level with the Olympians, so the Paralympics was born. The whole event may come across as being some sort of PC exercise, but I think there is a much more valuable lesson from the games.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Iv'e been watching the paralympics each night and its awesome.

To see a one armed man zooming around the velodrome doing what alot of able bodied people couldn't do is incredible to watch.

Inspirational stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here