Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic on the streets of London.......

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Complete tosh.

What about all the riots in the 90's up north. Let me see, now who was in power? Oh yeah the same lot who have created the worst financial situation this country has ever found itself in in peacetime.

People have a choice about whether to break the law or not. I seem to manage not to rob places and vandalise them just about every day.

What riots in the 90s? I think youve got your years/governments confused old chap...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We used to get the odd summer time riot 'cos punters got beered up on a hot summers night, usually after Ingerland had got knocked out of whatever finals (if they qualified in the first place of course), or because there were racial tensions in a specific community.

Times have changed - six months ago it was anarchists having a go at the banks and Charlie Gilmore chinless wonder types 'having a laugh' causing trouble on the back of genuine protests about the tuition fees. More recently it was the anti-Tesco brigade.

Yes our wonderful fragmented society and the greed of banks and big business are underlying issues and not helped by the current climate and lack of optimism. All a nice excuse to go out and have a pop at the establishment.

IMHO the technology and social networks being used to incite trouble and cause things to go viral faster than the Police can react. Criminal gangs are taking advantage and now don't want to be outdone by their rivals so have to do likewise on their manor ('wikid innit'). Would like to see Police use their powers to temporarily shut down mobile networks.

TV news channels are just as bad by showing constant wall to wall images that glorify the aggro.

Hope no one gets killed but fear it will take that before the hand wringing Liberals stop whinging about the Police and start giving them support to deal with disorder in a proportionate and firm manner.

Of course it may suit the Govt to allow a bit of disorder so they can reign in some of the Police budget cuts. Wouldn't look good if this sort of stuff kicks off this time next year when we are in the midst of the Olympics.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
What riots in the 90s? I think youve got your years/governments confused old chap...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_riots

2001 - Oldham Riots, May 2001, (Oldham, Greater Manchester, England)
2001 - Harehills riot Leeds, June 2001, West Yorkshire, England
2001 - Bradford Riot, July 2001, (Bradford, West Yorkshire, England)
2001 - Holy Cross dispute, Summer 2001, (Belfast, Northern Ireland)
2005 - 2005 Birmingham race riots in Lozells, Birmingham, United Kingdom.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Complete tosh.

What about all the riots in the 90's up north. Let me see, now who was in power? Oh yeah the same lot who have created the worst financial situation this country has ever found itself in in peacetime.

People have a choice about whether to break the law or not. I seem to manage not to rob places and vandalise them just about every day.

I assume you are talking about the race riots in Bradford and Oldham of 2001? Also, well done on Labour for creating the worst financial situation this country has ever found itself in, and amazingly appears to have had the power to bring down the entire world!! Weird that, a Labour government has single handedly managed to bring down America's credit rating, topple Greece, bring Portugal, Italy and Spain to it's knees, crush the Euro. Amazing they managed all that on their own...

So back to the topic in hand, your policy on managing a complex inner city housing estate and community is that you personally manage not to rob places. Wow, perhaps you could email Teresa May and pass on your insightfulness?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
There is no doubt that the criminality is appalling and should be dealt with accordingly. However, these things tend to happen when the connection between authority i.e. local government or police and a community become so distant that said community becomes a tinderbox waiting for a spark. As with the Brixton riots in '95 that spark was the police treatment of a community member (rightly or wrongly). In political terms, the investment in projects that establish project leaders from within the estate or community, whether these are parents, social workers, youth workers, church leaders or what have you, establish a line of communication between a community and it's governing authority. Any great coincidence that most of these projects and others such as Sure Start have been savagely cut over the past 12 months?

Not sure anyone is looking to justify the riot, bizarre way of looking at my previous point, but as others have pointed out, Labour poured money into these type of projects (rightly or wrongly) and we have not had civil disturbance on this scale for 15 years.

No, no, no. You are crediting these opportunistic thugs with a level of intelligence and forethought they do not deserve. These things tend to happen when there is a bandwagon these criminals can use as cover.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
If only this was about politics!! I very much doubt any of the scum causing this could actually tell you who the Prime Minister of this country is!! quite simply it is mindless thuggery and theft etc, which many are just jumping on the band wagon.

Clearly many will try to use the situation and use it as a political weapon against the present government, looking at some of the footage on telly, I would say most of the idiots causing this were born under a labour government, so maybe it is Labours fault :)

Seriously though, in my opinion the problem needs to be sorted with a very heavy hand, bring in water cannons and the army whatever it takes, but most of all, once these scum get bought to a criminal court, deal with them properly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, no, no. You are crediting these opportunistic thugs with a level of intelligence and forethought they do not deserve. These things tend to happen when there is a bandwagon these criminals can use as cover.

You have it spot on. These criminals are using a bandwagon to go about their riot, that is what happens. What politicians can do in the right circumstances is prevent the bandwagon from leaving the station. That is what I am talking about. In no way I am suggesting that the rioters themselves deserve any justification or anything other than condemnation for their actions, however as you rightly point out, they have jumped on this opportunity as is often the case when unrest starts to build. I believe coming from separate directions we are in agreement.

My point is that you can prevent the unrest from building, you can 'bridge' gaps in communities, but as with anything it does cost money, hence this is a political debate.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Also, well done on Labour for creating the worst financial situation this country has ever found itself in, and amazingly appears to have had the power to bring down the entire world!! Weird that, a Labour government has single handedly managed to bring down America's credit rating, topple Greece, bring Portugal, Italy and Spain to it's knees, crush the Euro. Amazing they managed all that on their own...

Deary me. No one is suggesting that they managed to single handedly bring down the global economy. However, they subscribed to, fully endorsed, and engaged in the kind of crackpot economics which has, surprise surprise, come home to roost in the countries who decided it was easier to ignore the fact that a country cannot spend beyond its means indefinitely. Not to mention Brown's decision to sell off the single thing that backed up our currency for a tiny amount of its true value. Every Labour government ends in bankruptcy.

Dandyman

In London village.
Complete tosh.

Quite agree. Sadly the chances of Fred the Shred & the rest of the financial fuckwits ending up in court seems slim.

---
I am here: Google Maps
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
A generation of youngsters that have grown up under a Labour government who have been encouraged to have exactly what they want, exactly when they want it. Not really a suurprise that they all start kicking off when they finally get a dose of realism.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I assume you are talking about the race riots in Bradford and Oldham of 2001? Also, well done on Labour for creating the worst financial situation this country has ever found itself in, and amazingly appears to have had the power to bring down the entire world!! Weird that, a Labour government has single handedly managed to bring down America's credit rating, topple Greece, bring Portugal, Italy and Spain to it's knees, crush the Euro. Amazing they managed all that on their own...

So back to the topic in hand, your policy on managing a complex inner city housing estate and community is that you personally manage not to rob places. Wow, perhaps you could email Teresa May and pass on your insightfulness?

Do you think Labour single handedly did that? Now I would never credit them with that much influence. Labour, the US and pretty much all the western powers were to blame. I can imagine your vilification of Tory policy if they'd been the ones who were at the helm at the time. You'd be having a field day. Labour's government were a true disaster for our country. I also believe that if the Tories had been in control we would maybe be in an even worse position. Tories or Labour, they're both as bad as each other in my opinion.

Your point that it only happens under Tory government id plainly untrue though.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
You have it spot on. These criminals are using a bandwagon to go about their riot, that is what happens. What politicians can do in the right circumstances is prevent the bandwagon from leaving the station. That is what I am talking about. In no way I am suggesting that the rioters themselves deserve any justification or anything other than condemnation for their actions, however as you rightly point out, they have jumped on this opportunity as is often the case when unrest starts to build. I believe coming from separate directions we are in agreement.

My point is that you can prevent the unrest from building, you can 'bridge' gaps in communities, but as with anything it does cost money, hence this is a political debate.

But the bandwagon here is a young guy who was shot by police whilst carrying a gun. What are the government supposed to do about this?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
England cricket team now on lockdown in Birmingham as the police are expecting trouble in the area according to Kevin Pieterson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here