Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic on the streets of London.......

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I am talking purely about cuts to those areas - we should have stopped crap like overseas aid and funding for half of these "projects" the labour party run councils are so fond of.

I'd disagree that Labour are (were) in anyway left-wing, but that's a separate debate.

Personally I also disagree about the overseas aid (I think it's essential), but that's not to say I agree with the cuts to the police budget (I don't).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You wont have any joy speaking out about DC on this forum mate. Country would need to grind to a halt and self combust before people got their heads out the sand. Different man / same tories though

I think you will find there is quite an even scattering of lab and cons on this board.

I totally agree. This "left-wing" excuse for a Tory Party are cutting the budgets of the two things that should have bigger budgets - defense and law and order. Their cuts in these areas are more like Labour's.

Exactly when did the labour government slash the police and military budgets over the last 10 years?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think you will find there is quite an even scattering of lab and cons on this board.

Exactly when did the labour government slash the police and military budgets over the last 10 years?

They are their normal target areas. IF the Country had been stupid enough to re-elect them, we can be sure they would have seen massive cuts compared to other areas. In recent years they spunked money we did not have on anything and everything.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
That is a lot of smoke at the moment on Sky News, shop next to Greggs and flats(?) above

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
How on earth people can use these riots as an excuse for some cheap political mudslinging is beyond me. They have absolutely nothing to do with the current government and anyone who suggests otherwise ascribes to this bunch of low life opportunistic criminals a level of intelligence and reason which is wholly undeserved.

And on the subject of police cuts, as far as I'm aware they are taking fewer cuts than other parts of government. The fact is this country spends more than it takes in tax and we rely on the goodwill of China and others to buy our bonds. Those bonds only remain affordable if we demonstrate that we have a genuine plan to balance the budget. Thus, we have seen the US lose its AAA credit rating and interest on French government bonds has edged up today. We are swimming in debt and the emerging economies are, quite fairly, showing an increasing reluctance to fund our profligacy. It's time for people in the country to wake up to the reality, and severity, of the situation.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
That fire is ridiculous and they need to let the Fire Brigade in soon before is spreads

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
some people on here give these people too much credit, if you genuinely think these riots have anything to do with political statements or genuine social comment.

an incident in tottenham is now just been used as an excuse for theft and violence.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Things must be bad at the Met if Cameron is thinking about bringing in Bill Bratton who used to head up the NYPD and LAPD

Sep 1, 2010
My how much of London needs to be alight before we just need to do the right thing and just get the military in to pick these cowardly wankers off one by one.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
All very quiet round here and in Chiswick today. There was a bit of tension when the local Waitrose ran out of Houmous but it quickly calmed down.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They are their normal target areas. IF the Country had been stupid enough to re-elect them, we can be sure they would have seen massive cuts compared to other areas. In recent years they spunked money we did not have on anything and everything.

Spunked money on community projects that put members of a community at the forefront of projects as an essential link between the authorities and the communities themselves. Amazing how you cut those projects, and you get this kind of outcome. The most cost effective way to tackle crime is to prevent it.

Brixton Riots, 1981, let me think...are yes Tory government, Broadwater Farm Riot 1985, oh hang on...Tory government, Poll Tax Riot, erm, yep Tory government again...1995 Brixton Riots, oh yeah, Tories again...Anyone would think they only look after the middle classes and above!?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
of course, this has happened every month for the past 10 years :facepalm:

Ok, I'm obviously way below your level of intelligence. Please justify the robbing of JD sports or Currys etc, or setting fire to cars & property. I'd really like to be enlightened. Only all I can see is gangs of thugs roaming around causing terror. So come on, f***ing explain.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Peckham riots after a north london 'Gangsta' gets shot, hmmm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here