Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic at the Pumps.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
We just need to make sure that the public realise how much the tanker drivers already earn.

The drivers own union rep was on BBC news trying to drum up support for his comrades. What he really should not of said was that the drivers are paid AN AVERAGE of 45K per year, equivalent to 900 pounds per week!

These drivers have a responsible job with stringent safety regulations, but it ain't rocket science. Drive to garage, attach hoses, start pump, stop pump, remove hoses, return to base.

If the drivers feel underpaid then they should look for new jobs, not hold the rest of us to ransom.

This,if you are not happy at work for whatever reason get another job it aint rocket science

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I don't care why they want to strike if you don't like your job find a new one, no sympathy what so ever with these scum who want to potentially deprive me of earning a living.

Tanker drivers are the new miners being used by the unions to further their unelected political aims, what ever the point of unions was (there was a time they were very needed) they exist now to maintain the employment of the feckless and lazy and to give a power base to the unelectable.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sounds sense until Claims direct and 'Elf & Safety turn-up (and they will be there)

I suspect you will be singing a different tune once you can't get a loaf of bread or a pint of milk because virtually everything on supermarket shelves is delivered by road so is entirely dependent on continuity of fuel supplies. The shelves would be empty within 2-3 days if a tanker drivers strike takes hold and the inevitable panic buying starts. Thats why Unite have cunningly chosen this group of workers to have a high profile industrial campaign because they know it has the potential to snooker the Govt. Tanker drivers have such a critical role in keeping UK PLC running, plus there will be essential users such as hospitals, emergency services and users of heating oil such as care homes and schools. I guess thats why the Govt COBRA commitee has met. Plus the impact would stop the fragile economic recovery. So the Govt taking reasonable steps to secure fuel supplies and keep the country on the move seem sensible.

On the other hand no one should underestimate the hazards of dealing with flammable spirits. The very strict controls for the storage and delivery of petrol are there for a very good reason (mainly resulting from horrendous tragedies), so the HSE and relevant licensing authorities will inevitably take a close look at contingency arrangements to ensure that no dangerous practices are happening. However I am very surprised that the Govt is recommending punters stockpile jerry cans now before strike dates have been identified as this seems to intensify the panic buying as well as the obvious hazards of keeping fuel. It makes me shudder to think of more widespread filling of cans on petrol forecourts especially given how closely the kiosk attendants are supposed to monitor the pumps and react to unsafe practices / emergencies yet are expected to do the job of a check out operator too given the amount of stuff for sale in garages.

Tanker drivers are the new miners being used by the unions to further their unelected political aims, what ever the point of unions was (there was a time they were very needed) they exist now to maintain the employment of the feckless and lazy and to give a power base to the unelectable.
Oddly enough, the guy behind the counter at my local petrol station (which will have NO fuel to sell tomorrow, btw) was saying this evening that the tanker drivers are being used by Cameron to deflect attention from the hostile public reaction to the budget. Having discovered just how unelectable this government has become, he's re-establishing his own power base.

And, no. I wasn't buying fuel this evening. Just using the place as my local corner shop. Which, of course, won't be available tomorrow because Francis "Jerrycan" Maude will have shut it down.

D

Deleted member 18477

Some geezer filling his motor and 3 jerry cans at my local this evening. Yes I was buying diesel as i would have run out on the way to work 2moz!

Panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oddly enough, the guy behind the counter at my local petrol station (which will have NO fuel to sell tomorrow, btw) was saying this evening that the tanker drivers are being used by Cameron to deflect attention from the hostile public reaction to the budget. Having discovered just how unelectable this government has become, he's re-establishing his own power base.

An interesting theory from your man there. Is he a lowly minimum pay shop assistant or the owner?

Fortunately with Labour being far far more unelectable, the Tories don't have too much to worry about. Which is good.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
A timely boost for the coffers with everyone going petrol crazy, no?

i see your thinking.
just when i'm worried about not being able to afford to fill my van for work anymore, i might be filling it non stop instead.
and just as prices are increasing aswell.......
makes me mad tbh, myself earning a living includes me spending 20-25-30quid a day on fuel, due to price increases, would almost rather sit at home instead watching news of blockades/strikes etc...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just no point in panicking-can't do without fuel for work,can't stock enough safely & use a tank per week,i would be forced to use public transport and that's that-for me that is a last resort as i travel 30 miles to work and finish late but some people need cars for more important reasons-

An interesting theory from your man there. Is he a lowly minimum pay shop assistant or the owner?

Fortunately with Labour being far far more unelectable, the Tories don't have too much to worry about. Which is good.
He's a shop assistant in a small independent petrol station. Interestingly, he said that takings were up by £9,000 on Tuesday.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
He's a shop assistant in a small independent petrol station. Interestingly, he said that takings were up by £9,000 on Tuesday.

Crikey-that's one way to kick start an economy-i vote for a month long strike

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

is it? really?
what with the current state of affairs, surely a decent opposition party is what is required?
although with that clueless twat in charge of labour, i wouldn't vote them either.
i personally think b'ton have it best with the greens.........................................................(awaiting abuse from all sorts of corners).......................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Easter Sunday is only slightly over a week away; cue another round of panic buying because the supermarkets close for ONE day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You'll be laughing even more Gold when I burn down Selhurst :moo:

.............you sneak!! need a lift,i have half a tank..

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Just been to Tesco petrol station on the way home from the gym like I do most Wednesday nights and it was frigging rammed. There's usually only about 4 cars on the forecourt and 1 bloke picking up charcoal bricketts as a last minute gift for the wifes birthday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here