Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic at the Pumps.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
It's Smash 'len' at Unite. Crow is next.

I think you can rest assured that Len is a tad more concerned what the members who voted in overwhelming numbers for this strike think, than of what you think. Which is why he is the leader of a trade union with 1.5 million members with access to national media to express his opinions. Whereas you are stuck with expressing yourself on NSC.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you can rest assured that Len is a tad more concerned what the members who voted in overwhelming numbers for this strike think, than of what you think.

yes, i'm sure he is more concerned about the 1000 lorry drivers in favour, and the even the other 1000 voting against, than the other 60 million in the country who will be inconvenienced.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
yes, i'm sure he is more concerned about the 1000 lorry drivers in favour, and the even the other 1000 voting against, than the other 60 million in the country who will be inconvenienced.

I think you miss the point. Workers join a trade union to promote their interests at work not to carry out a public duty. Unfortunately you've mistaken us for a public service, if you think we should put the interests of car drivers over those of our members.

I also find it somewhat curious that you don't expect the same level of commitment to the public good from the head of RBS when you defended his right to a million pounds of tax payers money in a bonus. Seems you think that free market ideas should only be applied to the rich.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I also find it somewhat curious that you don't expect the same level of commitment to the public good from the head of RBS when you defended his right to a million pounds of tax payers money in a bonus. Seems you think that free market ideas should only be applied to the rich.

when Hester goes on strike to protect his million £ bonus and inconviences me, you will have a point, until then you are comparing apples and oranges. what a senior executive is paid doesn't really effect me*, while a union drumming up a strike timed for maximum inconvenience to the public, does effect me a bit and an awfull lot of others quite alot.

* actually there is an effect, their pay is taxed and lowers the tax burden of everyone else a little. government gets more from high pay and bonuses than from corporation tax.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

You put £15 in your car?

Either you have a ridiculously small car, you're a biker, or you were panic buying yourself. Why would you fill your car up if it only needed £15 worth otherwise? That would be barely a quarter of a tank in my (medium sized) car.

I only took what I needed for a few days and then I will put another 15.00 quid today. I drive carefully and conserve my fuel. And when people take more than they actually need + Jerry cans on top and panic, it's the reason we are getting in this mess.

The bloody unions will cripple/bankrupt this country.

Always the first thing people blame.
However, if greedy companies cut corners hiring less employees and pushing their existing ones beyond lines of safety to compensate.... who is creating unemployment and raping the country, again?

"A statement from Unite said: "Tanker drivers work in an increasingly fragmented and pressurised industry, where corners are being cut on safety and training in a bid to squeeze profits and win contracts.

"Drivers face growing job insecurity as a result of the contract 'merry-go-round' and a 'beat the clock' culture has flourished, with drivers forced to meet ever shorter delivery deadlines. "

Diana Holland from the Unite union warns of "an industry that is in chaos"

It added that pensions were also inferior to those previously offered and some workers had switched pensions six times"

gully07

Sep 26, 2010
hassocks
just been to tesco's london rd burgess hill people round here must think coz haywards heath is runnung out of fuel they have to come over here and empty these pumps dry

D

Deleted member 22389

Always the first thing people blame.
However, if greedy companies cut corners hiring less employees and pushing their existing ones beyond lines of safety to compensate.... who is creating unemployment and raping the country, again?

"A statement from Unite said: "Tanker drivers work in an increasingly fragmented and pressurised industry, where corners are being cut on safety and training in a bid to squeeze profits and win contracts.

"Drivers face growing job insecurity as a result of the contract 'merry-go-round' and a 'beat the clock' culture has flourished, with drivers forced to meet ever shorter delivery deadlines. "

Diana Holland from the Unite union warns of "an industry that is in chaos"

It added that pensions were also inferior to those previously offered and some workers had switched pensions six times"

It's a losing battle. I understand why the drivers want to go on strike. Why should standards fall. First it was the public sector workers, and now tankers drivers are next in the firing line.
Because the press mention that a tanker drivers earn 45k a year, that's the only thing I believe some people are worrying about, without understanding the full facts of why they want to go on strike.
The real criminals here are the government not the tanker drivers. They are the ones that hold the keys. What the tanker drivers get a week compared to what the government takes from you every time you fill up is what people should be moaning about.

just been to tesco's london rd burgess hill people round here must think coz haywards heath is runnung out of fuel they have to come over here and empty these pumps dry

This,

My wife has just been to the Tesco off the Industrial estate, not to panic buy but because she was nearly in the red, and she likened it to the Chariot Race in Ben Hur.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hiring a car, fine, why give Hertz or whoever free fuel. I just can't see why you'd only stick £15 in your own car. Possibly wasting petrol by having to make more frequent trips to fill it up.

The way demand for fuel is going our friend is probably sitting on £20 of gas in his tank right now. Forget ISAs and stocks and shares is fuel you want to be investing in.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
How difficult can it be to drive a lorry and pour some petrol into the ground? Seriously?

I'm nicely filled up now though. The red unions won't be inconveniencing me this time.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's a losing battle. I understand why the drivers want to go on strike. Why should standards fall. First it was the public sector workers, and now tankers drivers are next in the firing line.
Because the press mention that a tanker drivers earn 45k a year, that's the only thing I believe some people are worrying about, without understanding the full facts of why they want to go on strike.
The real criminals here are the government not the tanker drivers. They are the ones that hold the keys. What the tanker drivers get a week compared to what the government takes from you every time you fill up is what people should be moaning about.

And of course the unions would give you the full facts? i think not...probably somewhere in the middle is the truth

kano

Jun 17, 2011
The unions have done a pretty terrible job of communicating the reasons for this strike to the public.

Public opinion is firmly against the drivers and its too late to change it now, if the drivers have a genuine complaint about something other than pay i would be pretty disappointed in the unions handling of things.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How difficult can it be to drive a lorry and pour some petrol into the ground? Seriously?

I'm nicely filled up now though. The red unions won't be inconveniencing me this time.

How long does a tank last you then?

As a matter of course, I reckon a tank lasts us about 2 weeks with trips to nursery and work etc.

However I need to fill up today/tomorrow to drive back to Sussex at the weekend and I'll also need to either fill up there or on the way back in order to get home again. I'm wondering if these pesky Union rascals (read: wankers) are going to stop me seeing the Middlesbrough game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here