Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace v Brighton summary (of 72 threads)

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
What do you know of our youngsters? you probably only know of your own because you've had to chuck them in the 1st team

How do you know how much either owners are worth?
Freedman as good as Poyet, do me a favour, Lawrence is the brains in your set up
In short
YOUR SHIT AND YOU KNOW YOU ARE,

If we're shit, what does that make you? 1 point out of 6.

This is not directed at the sensible ones.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I'm sure it would be fine and easier logistically, but wouldn't get the same increase in fans. We could probably get 40000 in a new stadium, maybe 25000-30000 in a renovated Selhurst.

Renovation would be cheaper too, and I love the dump that is Selhurst, but the owners seem to prefer moving Crystal Palace to Crystal Palace.

40000? Per match or per quarter?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I think that the team that ends up higher will probably have the better squad and that looks like BHA, if not then Dougie isn't using the squad effectively enough.

Not so, though resting players in League games appears to have been a mistake in hindsight. The lead between us changes every few weeks. We were 4 points ahead not long ago, you were ahead before that etc.

Remember, our squad will get better every year as our kids get a year older.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Not so, though resting players in League games appears to have been a mistake in hindsight. The lead between us changes every few weeks. We were 4 points ahead not long ago, you were ahead before that etc.

And then get sold to some tin pot northern outfit.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Palace fans continually report to each other that Poyet is likely to leave us in a fashion that Freedman would 'never consider'. The conception that Poyet isn't in for the long haul with Brighton is Palace myth based only on spite and the fact they can point to someone in charge with history of service to their club thus 'proving' their point. The usual one-eyed bollocks.

It is all very well but we at Albion instead listen to the facts (rather than spitefully conceived speculation) and those are very agreeable and consistently proven signals that Poyet's ambition is matched by Bloom's. This is reflected in our signings, new ground and the training ground/academy complex that is now underway.

Much as Palace like to ignore it / cannot see it even if they tried, there are good things going on at our club.

I don't think Poyet is any more likely to go than Freedman, in fact the scale of backing he has received outstrips Freedmans and if all you can point to is his history as a player... well in fact I think Freedman would be more likely to go to a lower-middling Premier club in some f***ing shit northern hole than Poyet is, if he were promised say £5mill to play with.

Any arguments that think they can refute the above top 3 paragraphs will be quotes about Gus eventually managing at the highest level taken out of context (how BBS delights in those occasional soundbites... serious historians they ain't) and the last one is my speculation so feel free to have a pop but guess what... the argument carries weight.

2) The richer / cares more thing you palace have apparently engineered amongst yourselves is a comforting load of shit based not on reality but delusion and desperation for your clubs present-day ambition to match our own/have meaning, and it relates more or less exactly to when a woman says 'you have a really nice/perfect fit dick' because she can't tell you it's big because it's not.

the rest, yeah, ok more or less and a reasonable tone welcome to the boards. at least you weren't getting involved in the childish back and forth that has been turning my mind to sludge, although of course your post carried far more/ the usual intellectual dishonesty.

fnnarr.

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
Do you need a new ground? I'm assuming the Holmesdale is ok on the inside, and probably the Whitehorse too.

The ground location has history and heritage and is well served by public transport.

Would 2 new stands not do you instead?

I for one would love to see a redeveloped selhurst and for us to continue playing there (I only live 2 streets away so it's not a case of selfishness) it has heritage and history like you stated but we can't build upwards anywhere around the stadium which has always had stiff opposition from local residents I also know that the planned development in CPP will hit lots of difficulty's due to the NIMBY brigade/council much like you with the amex although you got your dream I know we won't get ours. So I guess I await with unknown anticipation the next club statement that says we are not looking at CPP anymore and dread the thought of another relocation idea.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I would say we were equal in the amounts our owners have although we have 4 so collectively may outweigh bloom in combined wealth but that doesn't matter it's what each is willing to spend.

And to a certain extent that is your problem. They either all chuck in a load of money for an assault on the premiership or one will have too take the lead buy the others out, which in itself will cost a fair amount of money. Something that none of the four appears to want to do. At present they are adopting a holding position which is very good for the stability of the club, but means little in the way of progress.

Tony Bloom has loaned the money, interest free and it's unsecured which effectively means that neither he (or any of his offspring) are ever likely to see it again.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
ok so it's fair to say that both our owners have pumped in there own money without having to borrow and are both taking current season debts on the chin respectively

Err current season debts???

We have 18,000 STH spending between £350 and a grand a season.

Say £9,000,000 income from STs

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Staying at Selhurst, and modernising, would seem the most likely and logical option. We'd all love a 40,000 seater stadium but how often would Palace fill it? Or BHA, if we're honest?

There's no point pretending either of our clubs has unlimited potential. There's no shame in being a club that gets gates in the lower 20,000s that performs solidly in the Championship, may get a crack at the Prem from time to time, and even sinks into L1 on the odd occasion. Darlington are a good example of a club that assumed they were far bigger than their history suggests.

For what it's worth I'd say CPFC and BHA are pretty evenly matched on the pitch just now, both have eager young managers and owners that care, and passionate fans that rightly support their local club.

The momentum is probably with BHA, thanks to us finally emerging from so long in the doldrums and getting the new stadium. But this is a weird old league and who knows what the table may tell us at the season's end.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia

Those kids, if they keep improving, will be sold to bigger clubs, just as they are at all clubs outside the elite. It's a regrettable state of affairs but very few clubs in our position get to see a generation of kids get older together and improve, at least not if they really are any good.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Zaha will be off in the summer to the Premiership. You know he will.

It just wont be Barca or Real Madrid like you htink it should be.

Neither Barca or Madrid play in the Premiership. This would be a problem.

He'll go to a top 6 side for at least £10m, which will all be reinvested as promised. Whether this happens in the summer or not depends on which players are available for us to spend the cash on. Even though he is an incredible, four new signings at a million or two each including wages could be bought with the transfer fee we revive.

I love Wilf, but if we could buy a few more star players the money could be useful. I think we'll have him for another 6-12 months.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So, lots of digs about the ground, the area etc (when did you lot get so superior?):

Ground: Yours is new, ours is a tip (which I still love). BHA Yup. Don't take it too hard, yours does compare favourably with... ooh, I don't know - Gillingham

Area: Falmer is lovely, Croydon is grim (I live in Cambridge btw). BHA Selsdon Park or Croydon arifield aside, greenery is in short supply round your way.

Squad: Yours is being bolstered, ours in solid. BHA, just, although you weren't exceptional last night. Until we get an full-blown academy, I have to admit a certain green-eyed admiration that Palace have for bringing on new kids

Head to head: 1-3, 1-1. The Palace. ... and up yours too :rant:

Owners: Your owner is richer, ours care more. Draw. Couldn't be further from the truth. A lifelong fans and third-generation director who has just coughed up £105m - and is about to spend £36m more - on facilities for the club he loves. Damn that apathy...

Fans: You're getting more than us. BHA (but you're all a bit weird). We're normal. You're the unreconstructed throwbacks. :)

Manager: Poyet is great, but will go. Dougie's in for the long haul. Palace (if Gus goes). I have a certain grudging respect for Freedman. He's like Pete Meaden's mod aphorism - 'clean living under difficult circumstances.' His call on how the game went last night was a bit psychedelic, mind. There's fewer clubs about that Gus would be tempted to go to. The law of averages dictates Freedman would be off first.

So, yes, you're on the up, we're doing OK but need a new ground. The good thing is that we've a few derbies to look forward to over the next few years. Carry on.

... regardless.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Err current season debts???

We have 18,000 STH spending between £350 and a grand a season.

Say £9,000,000 income from STs

So, Bloom is taking the massive income (profit?) on the chin then?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
ok so it's fair to say that both our owners have pumped in there own money without having to borrow and are both taking current season debts on the chin respectively

You are assuming that we have operational losses at the Amex, we could be breaking even given that many of our squad are on L1 contracts.

Palace have some players on pretty decent wages, Ambrose is on £12k a week (according to one of your fans), Murray and Gardner are both on £9k a week for example. I note from Companies House that CPFC have to date not filed any accounts, despite the company incorporating in March 2010, perhaps they have something to hide? I have looked further and Palace have not filed any accounts since 2008, where they made a loss of £8.8million on turnover of just under £12million...........and a wage bill of £11.7 million.

To put it into context, the Albion's wage bill was about £4.3 million in their last filed accounts, although I would expect that to rise given the money we have spent on players in the last 18 months.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
And to a certain extent that is your problem. They either all chuck in a load of money for an assault on the premiership or one will have too take the lead buy the others out, which in itself will cost a fair amount of money. Something that none of the four appears to want to do. At present they are adopting a holding position which is very good for the stability of the club, but means little in the way of progress.

Tony Bloom has loaned the money, interest free and it's unsecured which effectively means that neither he (or any of his offspring) are ever likely to see it again.

They are all very united in their vision for the club. The success won't come from buying players - it'll come from our academy kids in the team and reinvesting the money we get from the ones that are too big for us. We'll be sticking a big pile of cash into our team when Wilf goes, and then another big pile a couple of years later if we get a decent sell-on fee.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Staying at Selhurst, and modernising, would seem the most likely and logical option. We'd all love a 40,000 seater stadium but how often would Palace fill it? Or BHA, if we're honest?

There's no point pretending either of our clubs has unlimited potential. There's no shame in being a club that gets gates in the lower 20,000s that performs solidly in the Championship, may get a crack at the Prem from time to time, and even sinks into L1 on the odd occasion. Darlington are a good example of a club that assumed they were far bigger than their history suggests.

For what it's worth I'd say CPFC and BHA are pretty evenly matched on the pitch just now, both have eager young managers and owners that care, and passionate fans that rightly support their local club.

The momentum is probably with BHA, thanks to us finally emerging from so long in the doldrums and getting the new stadium. But this is a weird old league and who knows what the table may tell us at the season's end.

Yup. Go with that.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Neither Barca or Madrid play in the Premiership. This would be a problem.

He'll go to a top 6 side for at least £10m, which will all be reinvested as promised. Whether this happens in the summer or not depends on which players are available for us to spend the cash on. Even though he is an incredible, four new signings at a million or two each including wages could be bought with the transfer fee we revive.

I love Wilf, but if we could buy a few more star players the money could be useful. I think we'll have him for another 6-12 months.

For you to get £10 million he needs to be have played consistently for a couple of season with little drop inform, trouble is he'll be sold before then and so the price will go down. Re-investment of the fee or a percentage there of, will depend on how the owners are funding the club (see my post above) and to whether they use the money to recover some of there earlier outlay.
As we know to our cost, having a decent ground is a real incentive to players, and unfortunaely for you, Sellarse is a tip and many of the clubs that you'll compete with have better grounds. Sellarse is yours, you may love it but it will become more and more of a millstone. Your in for a long few years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here