Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace v Brighton summary (of 72 threads)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I for one would love to see a redeveloped selhurst and for us to continue playing there (I only live 2 streets away so it's not a case of selfishness) it has heritage and history like you stated but we can't build upwards anywhere around the stadium which has always had stiff opposition from local residents I also know that the planned development in CPP will hit lots of difficulty's due to the NIMBY brigade/council much like you with the amex although you got your dream I know we won't get ours. So I guess I await with unknown anticipation the next club statement that says we are not looking at CPP anymore and dread the thought of another relocation idea.

I had an uncle who lived in Beckenham, so I used to read the local press up there. If there are NIMBYs in a still fairly working class area like Selhurst, I can't imagine what the opposition will be like if you try to build in CPP. I remember the row when Barkway and his mates from Bromley Council tried to build a cinema complex in CPP. You'll get all the usual crap about noise, bad behaviour, etc. Transport-wise, I suppose it's about the best location, as Crystal Palace Station has been expanded and has the new ELL service, and just about every bus in South London ends up at Crystal Palace Parade, but I can't see you getting it past the Council. What happened to the idea of Croydon Sports Arena? Mind you, if Falmer Station struggled at first (it's a lot better now that Southern have got their act together), I can't see a piddling little tram stop being sufficient.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Are you not expecting 30,000 after expanding? Is that not from an average of 6000?

Not unreasonable at all, imo.

We've gone from 6000ish (full capacity) to 20000ish (full capacity) - so we've every right to believe that 30K would also sell out. Would you not worry that you're currently nowhere near selling out your capacity before even thinking of expanding?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I'm sure it would be fine and easier logistically, but wouldn't get the same increase in fans. We could probably get 40000 in a new stadium, maybe 25000-30000 in a renovated Selhurst.

When you say "probably get" you mean realistically fit in rather than actually have a remote dream of possibly attracting? Just asking as I could "probably get" all of The Saturdays and Pussycat Dolls in my bed (particularly if they agreed to a Razzle stack), but I'm not expecting it to ever happen, no matter how big a bed I get...

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
How anyone with a brain can seriously suggest that Palace's johnny come lately owners care more than a man who put his hand in his pocket and built a stadium whilst coming from a family that have been involved with the Albion since Noah was a boy, actually beggars believe. But carry on

this.

Original poster doesn't have a clue.

Infact a lot of Palace fans don't seem to want to acknowledge that Brighton fans fought tooth and nail to save our club from dodgy owners. Perhaps because they don't want to admit it would be all a bit too much effort for them if it had happened the other way around.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I think Palace fans are missing something here regarding their owners. They have stated clearly that they will not take anything out of the club, not that all transfer profit will be reinvested in players. Judging by the comments of the few palace fans I know and some comments that have followed recent games, your season ticket sales are quite likely to drop again for next season. That means the club is going to be running at an even greater loss and i think you can expect that some of the player sales profit (probably a significant chunk) will be spent on making up the deficit. Attendances for the remainder of the season may also have a bearing. i think you're delusional if you think you're going to have 10mill to spend in the summer.

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
this.

Infact a lot of Palace fans don't seem to want to acknowledge that Brighton fans fought tooth and nail to save our club from dodgy owners. Perhaps because they don't want to admit it would be all a bit too much effort for them if it had happened the other way around.

and some brighton fans seem to forget that we stood with you along with supporters from other clubs and dug OUR hands in OUR pockets to help.

and some brighton fans seem to forget that we stood with you along with supporters from other clubs and dug OUR hands in OUR pockets to help.

yeah there are some decent palace supporters (on here and in the real world) but don't start hiighlighting words like 'OUR' as if you're implying that we should be eternally thankful to ALL 12,000 of YOU for turning over every penny YOU earned into OUR bank accounts, Yes Palace fans helped but a lot of fans of a lot of other clubs helped without being so patronising about it

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
In our League? Only Fratton Park that I can think of, and that's not much to be proud of.

As far as League One goes, well the top five currently all have better stadiums, as for the rest, well in many cases it depends on what your criteria for "better" are: capacity, or "not having to walk around in other peoples' piss for two hours" :shrug:

Glenn-Murray can say what he likes but that FA cup game against Aldershot was a cracking atmosphere in one of my favourite grounds. Even they managed to lay-on adequate toilet facilities ( albeit of a Portaloo type ) - it was like Glastonbury in Winter.

And where else can you have a pre-season friendly where you can just walk into the (home) supporters club and be offered a welcoming pint whilst wearing colours - ( all right, Dicks bar ).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I for one would love to see a redeveloped selhurst and for us to continue playing there (I only live 2 streets away so it's not a case of selfishness) it has heritage and history like you stated but we can't build upwards anywhere around the stadium which has always had stiff opposition from local residents I also know that the planned development in CPP will hit lots of difficulty's due to the NIMBY brigade/council much like you with the amex although you got your dream I know we won't get ours. So I guess I await with unknown anticipation the next club statement that says we are not looking at CPP anymore and dread the thought of another relocation idea.

I've been round Crystal Palace Park a few times, and would struggle to see what the nature of the opposition would be - aside from bloody-mindedness. It's on a site in the middle of a park which already houses an athletics stadium. One of the problems might be because you have to deal with FIVE councils.

Transport-wise, it's served by several bus routes, and while Crystal Palace Station is close by, Penge East and Penge West aren't exactly miles away either.

What's the timescale on this plan?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
this.

Funny because i thought palace fans are so trusting when it comes to there so called hero's owners, wanting to sell the ground to help pay for the the new stadium/ground sounds so familiar, they may be fans but they are also business men and the five year plan with never happen. the best outcome palace fans can hope for is a redevelop Selhurst park.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I just think both teams have a bright future at the moment, brighton are more advanced along the new stadium, plans for top training facilities route, palace have potentially loads of cash behind them too. Its just good to see the rivalry renewed, been neck and neck between the clubs all season

Oct 25, 2003
in truth i love that we're able to compete with palace now- it's never happened in my albion supporting lifetime as we've always been shackled by the constraints of withdean when we've been in the same league as them

i look forward to many more derby games in the championship....and it'd be brilliant if we were both in the premiership, slugging it out with the big boys

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
yeah there are some decent palace supporters (on here and in the real world) but don't start hiighlighting words like 'OUR' as if you're implying that we should be eternally thankful to ALL 12,000 of YOU for turning over every penny YOU earned into OUR bank accounts, Yes Palace fans helped but a lot of fans of a lot of other clubs helped without being so patronising about it

Not at all I was implying that we know what you went through we helped were we could along with other clubs and as the poster stated (the bit I highlighted) we did acknowledge what you went through and it was disgusting the same as when we have 2 administrations thrown in our face both situations undeniably out of supporters control but we as clubs are both on good levels you have a new stadium we want one or to redevelop selhurst we have a very good academy which is highly rated you are pushing to build yours (again with local opposition so I am led to believe) we are an established championship team and have flirted with the premier league these are the two gems missing in your crown but I could see you staying in the championship premiership is something to build for and will take you a possible 2 seasons of doing what you are we are also building Dougie is adopting the old George Graham ethos of build from the back it's not everyone's cup of tea but if we are not conceding 3 goals against a game then that's fine by me just wish other palace supporters would see sense with this.

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
I've been round Crystal Palace Park a few times, and would struggle to see what the nature of the opposition would be - aside from bloody-mindedness. It's on a site in the middle of a park which already houses an athletics stadium. One of the problems might be because you have to deal with FIVE councils.

Transport-wise, it's served by several bus routes, and while Crystal Palace Station is close by, Penge East and Penge West aren't exactly miles away either.

opposition mainly to traffic/congestion around the crystal palace triangle.
you are right it does have good transport links also anerley train station could be used along with various bus routes from croydon/south norwood and inner london and there was talk of extending the tram line into CPP.
Like I stated earlier if we have to move then so be it but I would rather stay at selhurst timescale im pretty sure was 5 years but don't hold me to it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I think Selhurst could be a nice ground if it was developed and two new "state of the art" stands in place. O.K what could a new developed Selhurst hold 25k? Thats enough surely? I think Palace fans are living in Cuckoo land if they think they could fill 40k week in week out. Not unlike us........we will not fill 30k every week, even in the Premiership but it is a luxury to have a larger capacity for the bigger games!
As for Zaha......overated imho......but then i do not watch him week-in-out. But Palace do have a good set of young players and the sale of Zaha will give them money to spend, not sure they have a better squad than us. They have Murray ffs......joke.
Good championship side, what we are trying to achieve and both clubs around the same potential of making the Premiership!

Palace need to do something quick in respect of the Arthur Wait stand - as has been previously mentioned on here it is amazing how it passes safety regs. Pull it down and build a similar sized stand in its place and concentrate on the old stand opposite which has more potential to be redeveloped yet much larger , as I seem to remember it has a car park out the back and therefore potential for improvement.

Have Palace ever proposed rebuilding Selhurst and if so how ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Not sure the 5 councils would be an issue, the application just gets submitted to council with the largest part of the application sites in its boundary.

Although admittedly getting all the Councils to sign legal agreements about stewarding and transport work improvements would be a nightmare. It was bad enough for us with Brighton, Lewes and the Universities.

It was my first trip to Selhurst and whilst it's got character there's an underlying feel of decline around the place. the atmosphere was pretty drab so that probably didn't help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here