Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace v Brighton summary (of 72 threads)

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I always find the Palace supporters take on their academy confusing. Apparently there is a conveyor belt of talent that has been rolling off quality players for several years - yet their struggle in the league and the fact that they have recently purchased players from Margate & Dulwich Hamlet seems to suggest that it is not working as well as we are lead to believe.

Zaha & Clyne are good players but they have hardly pushed Palace to the top of the league - when and if they go will they use the money to good effect ? I suggest you put some decent seats in the AW for a start.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
So, lots of digs about the ground, the area etc (when did you lot get so superior?):

Ground: Yours is new, ours is a tip (which I still love). BHA

Area: Falmer is lovely, Croydon is grim (I live in Cambridge btw). BHA

Squad: Yours is being bolstered, ours in solid. BHA, just, although you weren't exceptional last night.

Head to head: 1-3, 1-1. The Palace.

Owners: Your owner is richer, ours care more. Draw.

Fans: You're getting more than us. BHA (but you're all a bit weird).

Manager: Poyet is great, but will go. Dougie's in for the long haul. Palace (if Gus goes).

Firm: Don't know, don't care. Draw.

So, yes, you're on the up, we're doing OK but need a new ground. The good thing is that we've a few derbies to look forward to over the next few years. Carry on.

Owner - bollocks. The Bloom family have been involved with us since the 1950s

Manager - bollocks. If Poyet goes it will be becuase he's been lured away by a top, top job, which is a reflection of the fact that he is a Manager on the up. Freedman will stay, because he hasn't got a hope in hell of getting a top, top job because he's limited as a Manager.

Other than that, fair enough

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Selhurst isn't THAT bad. It's certainly better than the majority of L1 grounds, and some grounds in our league

In our League? Only Fratton Park that I can think of, and that's not much to be proud of.

As far as League One goes, well the top five currently all have better stadiums, as for the rest, well in many cases it depends on what your criteria for "better" are: capacity, or "not having to walk around in other peoples' piss for two hours" :shrug:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Manager - bollocks. If Poyet goes it will be becuase he's been lured away by a top, top job, which is a reflection of the fact that he is a Manager on the up. Freedman will stay, because he hasn't got a hope in hell of getting a top, top job because he's limited as a manager

Dougie will be off in a shot if a phone call comes from Celtic or Rangers.

Jan 12, 2012
In our League? Only Fratton Park that I can think of, and that's not much to be proud of.

As far as League One goes, well the top five currently all have better stadiums, as for the rest, well in many cases it depends on what your criteria for "better" are: capacity, or "not having to walk around in other peoples' piss for two hours" :shrug:

Unfortunately we haven't got a sugar daddy to build us one, so untill that happens, we'll have to carry on standing in our piss.
BTW,it great to be high and mighty and sneering at our facilities,but dont forget your recent past too soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In all honesty is Zaha that good ? I`ve only seen snippets of him to be honest so I really don`t know but the 8 to 10 million being bandied about does seem incredible for a 18/19 year old.
He looks pretty good, and should be able to improve his final ball, but I've not seen evidence that he had more than £5m offered.
BTW,it great to be high and mighty and sneering at our facilities,but dont forget your recent past too soon.
To be fair, he was responding to a Palace poster who said Selhurst was better than other championship grounds, it's not like he was just starting on your palace.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Unfortunately we haven't got a sugar daddy to build us one, so untill that happens, we'll have to carry on standing in our piss.

Behave yourself, try commenting about something factual as opposed to dribbling all over your keyboard :ffsparr:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There's four of 'em, and they're all on rich lists etc. Last year they did an interview saying they had more cash than any Championship team except QPR.

Just an observation but so did Jordan at one point, bad business dealings, economic factors and the fact he was orange soon changed that! It's not about how much money they have it's about how much they are prepared to spend. BTW Bloom's having been involved with the Albion since my Dad went as a lad and I'm 50!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Some daft sniping, and some good posts from both sides in this thread. My view on it all is this..... Freedman is doing ok, as is Gus. No one can possibly know when or where either manager will be this time next year. Hopefully still at their respective clubs. I don't know enough about CPFC2010 to comment on any of their business strategy, But the Bloom family have been on and off the board for years. TB has been a season ticket holder since he was a nipper. The one thing that puzzles me a bit, is the ground situation. We came from an 8000 seater shit hole, which rightly or wrongly people wanting to watch football had thought they would have trouble getting tickets(because it was like that for a few years) So most of our extra 12,000 are people returning back to the Albion, with a fair few new fans thrown in. But the situation with Palace getting a 40,000 seater is different imo. Selhurst is never full, so where would the extra people come from to fill it? This isn't a dig, but a genuine question to the sensible Palace lads on here.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
God this is tedious, can we pack it in and restart these petty squabbles same time next year please?

Fair enough - I was trying to end it with the OP.

As regards TB, I didn't mean he doesn't care. He obviously does, to the tune of £80m. I guess I was thinking about visibility and interacting with the fans, but that's not what being an owner is all about.

My comment about Poyet was also a back-handed compliment. He'll get a top job some day.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Fair enough - I was trying to end it with the OP.

As regards TB, I didn't mean he doesn't care. He obviously does, to the tune of £80m. I guess I was thinking about visibility and interacting with the fans, but that's not what being an owner is all about.

QUOTE]

He was on the train (on his own) back from Notts County and Huddesfield last year, in the pub pre match this season

CPFC1234

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
ON A DERSERTED ISLAND
Id Say were pretty evenly matched as well, But the final piece of the Palace puzzle is...A New Stadium. I really Believe IF it did happen we would really turn a corner, were getting a New training ground in the next year to two, have a great manager, squad, Decent fan base But would Rocket in a New Ground. I wouldnt mind a redeveloped Selhurst as well, if the NSC move didnt happen, Weve spent two years in meetings and consultations already.

CPFC1234

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
ON A DERSERTED ISLAND
Some daft sniping, and some good posts from both sides in this thread. My view on it all is this..... Freedman is doing ok, as is Gus. No one can possibly know when or where either manager will be this time next year. Hopefully still at their respective clubs. I don't know enough about CPFC2010 to comment on any of their business strategy, But the Bloom family have been on and off the board for years. TB has been a season ticket holder since he was a nipper. The one thing that puzzles me a bit, is the ground situation. We came from an 8000 seater shit hole, which rightly or wrongly people wanting to watch football had thought they would have trouble getting tickets(because it was like that for a few years) So most of our extra 12,000 are people returning back to the Albion, with a fair few new fans thrown in. But the situation with Palace getting a 40,000 seater is different imo. Selhurst is never full, so where would the extra people come from to fill it? This isn't a dig, but a genuine question to the sensible Palace lads on here.

Neither could you fill the Goldstone or Withdean...But Look what you get at the Amex now. Build it and they will come. BTW its a 25,000 expandable to 40K.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I guess I was thinking about visibility and interacting with the fans, but that's not what being an owner is all about.

I've met him a couple of times and am just an ordinary fan.

He came up to London to speak to a few of us at fans get together (in a pub) and I've had a few words on the train last season. Not unusual for him to travel with the fans away.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Who was on Brightons Right Wing last night? Could have been a striker? Thought he was your best player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here