Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace v Brighton summary (of 72 threads)

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
They are all very united in their vision for the club. The success won't come from buying players - it'll come from our academy kids in the team and reinvesting the money we get from the ones that are too big for us. We'll be sticking a big pile of cash into our team when Wilf goes, and then another big pile a couple of years later if we get a decent sell-on fee.

it's not hard to get a bunch of businessmen to unite in a financially prudent gameplan... especially a club with your admin history DIG (in case you didn't) and... yeah. but if that is the case then good for you, lets all hope it takes you in the right direction, and ours takes us the same, with you forever one step behind starting this season. :wave:

ps. lol zaha will never go for that. between agitation for a move and drops in form... just... no. and whoever thought he and williams would combine for 15-18 mill is living in f***ing cuckoo land

Last edited:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Staying at Selhurst, and modernising, would seem the most likely and logical option. We'd all love a 40,000 seater stadium but how often would Palace fill it? Or BHA, if we're honest?

There's no point pretending either of our clubs has unlimited potential. There's no shame in being a club that gets gates in the lower 20,000s that performs solidly in the Championship, may get a crack at the Prem from time to time, and even sinks into L1 on the odd occasion.

This sounds like us - except for the last bit, we've not been there for a very long time :)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So, lots of digs about the ground, the area etc (when did you lot get so superior?):

Ground: Yours is new, ours is a tip (which I still love). BHA

Area: Falmer is lovely, Croydon is grim (I live in Cambridge btw). BHA

Squad: Yours is being bolstered, ours in solid. BHA, just, although you weren't exceptional last night.

Head to head: 1-3, 1-1. The Palace.

Owners: Your owner is richer, ours care more. Draw.

Fans: You're getting more than us. BHA (but you're all a bit weird).

Manager: Poyet is great, but will go. Dougie's in for the long haul. Palace (if Gus goes).

Firm: Don't know, don't care. Draw.

So, yes, you're on the up, we're doing OK but need a new ground. The good thing is that we've a few derbies to look forward to over the next few years. Carry on.

Ground - I like old football grounds, but the view, facilities etc last night were poor. £30.00 was a piss take. I personally would prefer that CP redeveloped SP, but if something isn't done soon H&S will shut the AW down - there are bits of metal coming through the seats, the toilets are a disgrace, and actually danderous to get in/out of.

Area - agreed - but I would still have prefered our new ground to be at Brighton Station as the lack of pubs/food nearby is frustrating at Falmer.

Squads - don't know enough about yours - I thought we shaded last night, pity we didn't have one of Lus Lua, Noone or Vicente to bring on with 10 to go. I'm happy enough at the moment with what we've got.

Freedman does set up his teams very defensvely though - how many shots on goal last night from the home side. Easterlooked lost on his own.

Results - Can't argue with facts - however I think we'll finish above you as you don't score enough goals.

Don't know enough about yours - but where have they been the last few years? We know where Bloom and his Family have been - putting their money into the club for a very long time.

Managers - We'll see re Poyet - I believe he'll be with us for a while. If we are successful, ten he becomes more attractive to the big boys, but likewise if we're doing well, he may see the whole thing through. Fredman likewise - he must have been pleased CPFC2010 turned down the Zaha bids - or perhaps he might have liked £9m to spend!

Palace fan calling BHA fans wierd? Not sure about that one! (and only 11,832 of yours their last night!!)

Firms - agreed - don't care. (Having read a bit on the BBS though it does seem the OTT policing didn't go down well with the home fans - esp. the bit about keeping home fans in.)

In summary - see you next year.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So, lots of digs about the ground, the area etc (when did you lot get so superior?):

Ground: Yours is new, ours is a tip (which I still love). BHA

Area: Falmer is lovely, Croydon is grim (I live in Cambridge btw). BHA

Squad: Yours is being bolstered, ours in solid. BHA, just, although you weren't exceptional last night.

Manager: Poyet is great, but will go. Dougie's in for the long haul. Palace (if Gus goes).

So, yes, you're on the up, we're doing OK but need a new ground. The good thing is that we've a few derbies to look forward to over the next few years. Carry on.

Agree with most of that (especially the BHA all being a bit weird bit) but the Bloom comment is a little bit odd. You are suggesting that Bloom doesn't care that much. He's basically paid £100 million out of his own pocket, so I cant really see how much more he could possibly care.

And by "Palace owners engage with the fans more", do you mean they listen to you bitching about only being given 2500 tickets to the Amex so childishly restrict us to 2700 at yours, doing themselves out of 60 grand? But that was a seriously strange, not to mention petty, thing to do.

But I'm just glad we have proper rivals again and are going to have some decent derby games over the next few years.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
They are all very united in their vision for the club. The success won't come from buying players - it'll come from our academy kids in the team and reinvesting the money we get from the ones that are too big for us. We'll be sticking a big pile of cash into our team when Wilf goes, and then another big pile a couple of years later if we get a decent sell-on fee.

Vision and hard cash are two very different things, while your run by commitee your hamstrung regards investiment) as the problems of running a club in such a manner will only lead to problems. Each 'partner' would need to invest the same or a proportionally to there initial investment, however when one doesn't or can't it skews the view of the others and then it will get messy ... very messy. The best you can hope for is that one or possibly two decided to take the reigns and go for it.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
For you to get £10 million he needs to be have played consistently for a couple of season with little drop inform, trouble is he'll be sold before then and so the price will go down. Re-investment of the fee or a percentage there of, will depend on how the owners are funding the club (see my post above) and to whether they use the money to recover some of there earlier outlay.
As we know to our cost, having a decent ground is a real incentive to players, and unfortunaely for you, Sellarse is a tip and many of the clubs that you'll compete with have better grounds. Sellarse is yours, you may love it but it will become more and more of a millstone. Your in for a long few years

We've turned down £7m already. His value will only increase. £10m seems pretty realistic to me.

2010 have already said that they will never take a penny out of the club. All money from any player sales in future will only ever be reinvested in transfer fees and wages.

We have attracted some very good players in the past, and Selhurst isn't THAT bad. It's certainly better than the majority of L1 grounds, and some grounds in our league. I think the clubs ambition and (mainly) wages will make more of a difference.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We have attracted some very good players in the past, and Selhurst isn't THAT bad.

True, I think Edgar Davids is your version of Vicente by the sounds of it, but his BIRD is well worth a groin strain for.

article-2078821-0F45F03D00000578-315_634x393.jpg

article-1213910-05E4693B000005DC-363_233x593.jpg

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
If we're shit, what does that make you? 1 point out of 6.

This is not directed at the sensible ones.

We like to give the under privileged a helping hand & ,at the risk of sounding like Adkins, you still cant keep up
As I said
YOUR SHIT AND YOU KNOW YOU ARE

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There's four of 'em, and they're all on rich lists etc. Last year they did an interview saying they had more cash than any Championship team except QPR.

There is a chance that the combined wealth of your 4 guys would be higher than our Tony but I can see a power struggle developing in the years to come at your place.. These are all men that have made their fortunes I would guess by being their own men so I suspect something will have to give when you lot actually start investing money for the new ground. You wont get it by prudent housekeeping on 14 k gates.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
so, lots of digs about the ground, the area etc (when did you lot get so superior?):

Ground: Yours is new, ours is a tip (which i still love). Bha

area: Falmer is lovely, croydon is grim (i live in cambridge btw). Bha

squad: Yours is being bolstered, ours in solid. Bha, just, although you weren't exceptional last night.

Head to head: 1-3, 1-1. The palace.

Owners: Your owner is richer, ours care more. draw.

Fans: You're getting more than us. Bha (but you're all a bit weird).

Manager: Poyet is great, but will go. Dougie's in for the long haul. Palace (if gus goes).

So, yes, you're on the up, we're doing ok but need a new ground. The good thing is that we've a few derbies to look forward to over the next few years. Carry on.
bollocks.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A few inaccuracies but overall a refreshingly honest view of the 2 clubs.
I haven't read any replies to the OP but I presume it has been pointed out that Tony Bloom is Albion through & through ??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ground: Yours is new, ours is a tip (which I still love).
If we had your ground, I'd love it too. You've got stands on all sides, and bar some annoying posts, you get to see the football.
Area: Falmer is lovely, Croydon is grim
Seriously, who cares.
Generous, thanks.
Yep, fair enough.
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: you've got to be kidding me. I don't know about the credentials of your owners, what links they have with the club, and whether they've ever promised any of their own money, interest free. Ours is a life long supporter, his family were on the board decades ago, he was giving us money before he took over and he's given us an interest free loan of about £100m for the ground because he loves the club. I know a couple of the people that grew up with him and apparently he's a genuinely lovely guy that's always followed BHA.
Impossible to compare due to the different grounds we've had for the last 20 years. I'll take the last bit as a massive compliment though.
We just don't know yet do we.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In all honesty is Zaha that good ? I`ve only seen snippets of him to be honest so I really don`t know but the 8 to 10 million being bandied about does seem incredible for a 18/19 year old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here