Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace scrap stadium plans

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
OK, I've now measured it using Google Earth, they're both 7 acres, more or less.

Are you including Sainsbury's as part of the Selhurst site, then? I'm certain that the footprint of the Amex is larger than their actual football ground.

Oct 25, 2003
why don't they just sell zaha and then use the proceeds to buy wembley, the emirates, old trafford, st james' park, the nou camp and the san siro and turn their remaining collection of global superstars into a kind of harlem globetrotters touring exhibition all-star team?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sounds like a pretty stupid idea to me. Any chairman/manager with an ounce of common sense will know that at the end of that two year cycle, you'll need to be selling a player or two, so they'll only offer knock-down prices.

Its a pretty risky long term strategy too. It relies on their always being a conveyor belt of talent, ripe for sale at the right time. Say Zaha suffers a career ending injury this season, they sell Williams to balance the books instead, but nobody particularly good comes through in the next two year cycle. What then?

Oct 25, 2003
Its a pretty risky long term strategy too. It relies on their always being a conveyor belt of talent, ripe for sale at the right time. Say Zaha suffers a career ending injury this season, they sell Williams to balance the books instead, but nobody particularly good comes through in the next two year cycle. What then?

you're forgetting that palace have the best youth system ON EARTH

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Well by then they will be in the top 6 of the prem and playing in a redeveloped 45k stadium all bankrolled by the billionaires.

Keep up HKFC. Tut tut :wagfinger:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Are you including Sainsbury's as part of the Selhurst site, then? I'm certain that the footprint of the Amex is larger than their actual football ground.

Plus The Amex plot includes a car park, a coach park, a station entrance, large exterior concourses etc. Selhurst is tucked in by roads and a supermarket.

If you'd said Selhurst is half the size of The Amex I'd have gone along with it, but you're on an absolute wind-up with it being the other way round I'm afraid.

No, I just measured the stadium for both. There is a large carpark next to Selhurst too, though this may be Sainsburys?

Those aren't our losses, that is the budget for our playing staff. CPFC2010 have said that there is a £10m staff budget for the next two seasons, the vast majority of which will be for players.

The BBS quote doesn't say this though - cf: "......costing the owners about £10.5M in that time.........". This implies the £10.5M will need to come from the shareholders, not revenue income.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Sounds like a pretty stupid idea to me. Any chairman/manager with an ounce of common sense will know that at the end of that two year cycle, you'll need to be selling a player or two, so they'll only offer knock-down prices.

We won't accept a knock-down price. We've got the luxury of having our best players on 5 year contracts.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
No, I just measured the stadium for both. There is a large carpark next to Selhurst too, though this may be Sainsburys?

Sainsburys own it. However, according to Steve Parish, Sainsburys are very keen to help us redevelop Selhurst.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We won't accept a knock-down price. We've got the luxury of having our best players on 5 year contracts.

Th length of the contract is irrelevant. If the plan means you need to sell players every two years, and others are aware of this, they will drive the price down. If you have to sell the player you have to accept whatever is offered, regardless of what the contract length is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just looking at the footprint of Selhurst is pure CHUCKLES. They are talking about redeveloping it, but how?

* The big barn at the end of the ground is already done, and towers over the rest of the ground (and looks shit). In any case, Holmesdale Road is in the way so it can't be pushed any further back.
* There is a supermarket at the opposite end which means the ground can't be expanded out that way
* That leaves the two stands along the length of the pitch. The Arthur Waite could be redeveloped on it's current sizeable plot, but the main stand can't. It is already TINY and there is a road that prevents it from being built out in that direction.

At best, you'll have a decent new Arthur Waite, joining the comedy Holmesdale barn stand as big (ish) structures, along with two truly crap looking stands - one that cannot be redeveloped as it is the other half of a supermarket, and the other one because it has no footprint to build on. These stands won't look out of place in league two. :lolol:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Th length of the contract is irrelevant. If the plan means you need to sell players every two years, and others are aware of this, they will drive the price down. If you have to sell the player you have to accept whatever is offered, regardless of what the contract length is.

I see where you're coming from, but the owners simply wouldn't sell any of our players for a knock-down price. I'm sure there is a flexible timescale if things really weren't going to plan. Thankfully they've got a large pile of cash, so the 2 year cycle might stretch to 3, then selling 2 players in 2 years or something.

CPFC2010 don't plan to spend all of the next 3 years outside of the Premiership. Not sure if it'll happen, but they think it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

I see where you're coming from, but the owners simply wouldn't sell any of our players for a knock-down price. I'm sure there is a flexible timescale if things really weren't going to plan. Thankfully they've got a large pile of cash, so the 2 year cycle might stretch to 3, then selling 2 players in 2 years or something.

CPFC2010 don't plan to spend all of the next 3 years outside of the Premiership. Not sure if it'll happen, but they think it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

FFP.

Look it up, then start to panic.:thumbsup:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Just looking at the footprint of Selhurst is pure CHUCKLES. They are talking about redeveloping it, but how?

* The big barn at the end of the ground is already done, and towers over the rest of the ground (and looks shit). In any case, Holmesdale Road is in the way so it can't be pushed any further back.
* There is a supermarket at the opposite end which means the ground can't be expanded out that way
* That leaves the two stands along the length of the pitch. The Arthur Waite could be redeveloped on it's current sizeable plot, but the main stand can't. It is already TINY and there is a road that prevents it from being built out in that direction.

At best, you'll have a decent new Arthur Waite, joining the comedy Holmesdale barn stand as big (ish) structures, along with two truly crap looking stands - one that cannot be redeveloped as it is the other half of a supermarket, and the other one because it has no footprint to build on. These stands won't look out of place in league two. :lolol:

HOLY SHIT, YOU'RE RIGHT! I'm going to rush this information to CPFC2010 at once, because OBVIOUSLY they haven't thought about how the ground could be redeveloped, they just made a statement blindly!

The plan is less of a "redeveloped" Selhurst and more of a knock-the-whole-thing-down and rebuild Selhurst, according to Steve Parish. The stand that would need to go first is actually the Holmesdale, as it's by far the worst structurally.

The CPFC stadium plans haven't actually been scrapped. All that has happened is that they're considering other options. The new stadium is still the preferred route for the board, but they are exploring the options we have at Selhurst too.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
FFP.

Look it up, then start to panic.:thumbsup:

Steve Parish says that FFP is a great idea and will benefit Palace in the long run. In the short term, they're investing £10m in the next two years while they still can.

Player sales count as income. CPFC2010's plan is perfect!

Oct 6, 2010

I think we all know that these days, if a player wants to leave for a bigger club, he goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here