Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last edited:

smileyeagle

Sep 7, 2005
Gipsy Hill
Re: Re: Palace Rivalry

Sneaky George said:
I think Tuesday night will have gone a long way to re-activating the rivalry.
I don't think the rivalry ever went away. However, from my personal point of view (and I can't speak for all Palace fans) I hate Millwall a lot more. Probably due to being a London side Palace fans and not Surrey - and also because we've played them so many more times in recent years, and they have a habit of beating us despite being a worse team. Its a habit I'm hoping you lot don't pick up!! ;)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Re: Re: Re: Palace Rivalry

smileyeagle said:
I don't think the rivalry ever went away. However, from my personal point of view (and I can't speak for all Palace fans) I hate Millwall a lot more. Probably due to being a London side Palace fans and not Surrey - and also because we've played them so many more times in recent years, and they have a habit of beating us despite being a worse team. Its a habit I'm hoping you lot don't pick up!! ;)
Understand that. It does help for the teams to actually play each other. Does the brighton -Palace rivalry mean anything to younger fans? Obviously it's an integral part of the Sussex education curriculum to teach kids about the Brighton-Palace thing. ;)

smileyeagle

Sep 7, 2005
Gipsy Hill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Palace Rivalry

Sneaky George said:
Does the brighton -Palace rivalry mean anything to younger fans?
Damn well better do. We spend enough time versing them in it! I'm sure Tuesday did no harm in keeping it going either. A few more like that and even I might hate you more than Millwall!

Brighton will always be the traditional rivalry - but if we end up leagues apart again who knows what the real youngsters will think of your lot ...

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
When we get Falmer it'll really take off again as you lot will be able to bring down a few thousand like the old days at the Goldstone. Bring it on!

smileyeagle

Sep 7, 2005
Gipsy Hill
Sneaky George said:
When we get Falmer it'll really take off again as you lot will be able to bring down a few thousand like the old days at the Goldstone. Bring it on!
Can't wait. Although I'd rather you didn't keep the 'traditional' chucking of bricks at the train when we arrive going. Was rather nasty last time I came down there ... :eek:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
When I was a kid we used to get a mate's Dad to drive up us to Albion games at Selhurst and there was a bridge at Coulsdon which had the immortal graffiti

" Turn back Brighton now or die!"

They've scrubbed it off now which is a shame cos it always made me laugh.

smileyeagle

Sep 7, 2005
Gipsy Hill
Sneaky George said:
When I was a kid we used to get a mate's Dad to drive up us to Albion games at Selhurst and there was a bridge at Coulsdon which had the immortal graffiti

I remember that too. Maybe one of our younger, less responsible fans should go and put if back. Just in the name of tradition you understand ... :D

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Palace Rivalry

smileyeagle said:

Brighton will always be the traditional rivalry - but if we end up leagues apart again who knows what the real youngsters will think of your lot ...

Agreed Smiley. We need to play each other for a few seasons and for that reason I hope you stay up! :thumbsup:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sneaky George said:

I remember that bridge as well Sneaky! Happy Days! :)

eagleseatseagulls

Sep 5, 2005
SE25
Brixtaan said:
Sorry,you're right,i didn't read the start of the thread but i'm sure the Millwall hardnuts treat you as the same joke as Charlton.So it's just us i'm afraid,we'll let you be our rivals even though we don't need you in any way,we've got far bigger business on the south coast to plan for.

LOL :lolol: joker!

A lot of Millwall hate us, with a passion. So much so that a large majority of them supported West Ham over us in the 04' play-off final. I don't think i need to explain to you why this is profoundly significant! :drink:

smileyeagle

Sep 7, 2005
Gipsy Hill
eagleseatseagulls said:
LOL :lolol: joker!

A lot of Millwall hate us, with a passion. So much so that a large majority of them supported West Ham over us in the 04' play-off final. I don't think i need to explain to you why this is profoundly significant! :drink:
All true.

I'm not entirely sure Brixtaan's clearly uninformed post is even worthy of your response!

E

enigma

smileyeagle said:
All true.

I'm not entirely sure Brixtaan's clearly uninformed post is even worthy of your response!

So if Milwall hate you more than the Hammers, why are West Ham listed as their number one rivals? By saying, a large MAJORITY you're implying that most of them wanted West Ham to win, which I find hard to believe, especially given the violence at their games.

smileyeagle

Sep 7, 2005
Gipsy Hill
enigma said:
So if Milwall hate you more than the Hammers, why are West Ham listed as their number one rivals? By saying, a large MAJORITY you're implying that most of them wanted West Ham to win, which I find hard to believe, especially given the violence at their games.
Who said they hate us more than the Hammers. Their traditional rivalry will always be West Ham - same as ours is you. However, recent history means we have played each other more, so you will have many fans on both sides that hate each other more. Rather like I hate Millwall more than you ...

I know you find it hard to beleive, but even your little victory over us doesn't mean that much. I mean I know you'd love it to matter to us that much, but it just doesn't. We haven't had to wait 16 years to score against you. We are still by far the superior club. I mean - we beat Liverpool not so ago - are we suddenly better that them? I think not.

Fact is, its just slightly irritating to us. Not the end of the world.

Still, that takes nothing away from the night - you fully deserved the win. Enjoy it.

eagleseatseagulls

Sep 5, 2005
SE25
smileyeagle said:
All true.

You have a point. It's just some of these poor little seagulls need to be brought right back down to earth after there smash and grab victory over palace the other night :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here