Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

P.C. gone mad...AGAIN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's more scandalous in my mind is that if the kids want to do football at school then the parents have to pay extra - that's something that wouldn't have happened 30 or 40 years ago. When did that come in?
It is a shame, but slightly eased by AITC doing jnr Stat's footy.
He was training (under 7's) with a local club but it was rubbish compared to the proper coaching he gets now, from the Albion.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I think being told not to win at sports in case the other team gets upset is pretty Politically correct.

I think its probably AGAINST THE RULES of most games, being told NOT to win

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
:facepalm:

Yes of course you would point out the need for indicating during a 3-point turn as this is part of the manoeuvre!!

Funny how 2 teachers have told you the same thing. I teach adults too and I can tell you that it is a myth that all adults can spell and most young people can't, one that is put about by people like you who have never taught and want to make point without having hard evidence to back it up.

I'm intrigue to learn at what point in a three point turn do you indicate?????

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Something tells me you may be in the same profession?? If you're not, a lot of schools use a version of this approach.

What some people fail to realise, and I have mentioned it in the quote above, is that some people find spelling so hard you would end up correcting virtually every word they write.

Which profession? Teaching? Not at all... an IT Manager whose best subject is/was certainly not English.

I am just thinking entirely logically (which can be both helpful and a hindrance at times) - in that in my mind if a child spells several words incorrectly and this isn't "marked" as such - in their mind they will believe their incorrect spelling to be right. How do teachers combat that situation, if they can at all?

Also, if a child only makes 2-3 spelling mistakes in a piece of work, then with the above approach I would suspect these would be corrected, and they learn from it - however if a child makes 15-20 mistakes, only 5-10 are corrected and therefore do not learn as much, isn't that discrimination because they aren't as intelligent? I would also understand that there must be allowances for dyslexic children too, but surely they and children who are poor at spelling need more focus from the teachers in that specific area?

Again, I know I am being simplistic and black and white - its how my brain thinks

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If there are a lot of spelling mistakes surely its best to tackle them a few at a time. When you're washing up do you put all the dishes in the sink in one go or do you work through one by one?

I approach the sink in a non-threatening manner and one by one I wash about half the plates. I leave the other ones dirty, as I don't want to overload the sink or make it think I'm expecting too much of it.

I wash the cutlery in another room with wetwipes, so the sink doesn't feel inadequate.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I am still SCARRED by a situation from year 6 (final year of primary).

Our football team had reached the Sussex schools cup final (or whatever it was officially called).

Now let me state this early. I'm not a BRILLIANT footballer. I'm ok but I CERTAINLY wasn't the star of the team.

In the semi I scored the winner and was looking forward to lining up in the final.

As we were getting ready to get on the mini bus for the trip to the neutral venue (probably whitehawk's ground) I was confronted by the coach.

Awaiting a kind word of enthusiasm I was instead greeted with a tale which haunts me to this day.

"MejonaNO12 aka riskit, I'm sorry, but Emma's mum has written to the school and demanded that Emma plays in the final".

Emma, as you may have guessed, was a GIRL. She had NEVER been to 'training' or played ANY games for the school.

But under the sheer PANIC of being sexist, the school BUCKLED and Emma got the honour of walking out in the starting line up.

Anyway, she was pony, I came on for her after about 30 mins and we won (not because of me).

THE END

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I approach the sink in a non-threatening manner and one by one I wash about half the plates. I leave the other ones dirty, as I don't want to overload the sink or make it think I'm expecting too much of it.

I wash the cutlery in another room with wetwipes, so the sink doesn't feel inadequate.

but does the cutlery feel inadequate that you take it to another room? I think you should wash all the plates but leave a bit of dirt on each one

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I am still SCARRED by a situation from year 6 (final year of primary).

Our football team had reached the Sussex schools cup final (or whatever it was officially called).

Now let me state this early. I'm not a BRILLIANT footballer. I'm ok but I CERTAINLY wasn't the star of the team.

In the semi I scored the winner and was looking forward to lining up in the final.

As we were getting ready to get on the mini bus for the trip to the neutral venue (probably whitehawk's ground) I was confronted by the coach.

Awaiting a kind word of enthusiasm I was instead greeted with a tale which haunts me to this day.

"MejonaNO12 aka riskit, I'm sorry, but Emma's mum has written to the school and demanded that Emma plays in the final".

Emma, as you may have guessed, was a GIRL. She had NEVER been to 'training' or played ANY games for the school.

But under the sheer PANIC of being sexist, the school BUCKLED and Emma got the honour of walking out in the starting line up.

Anyway, she was pony, I came on for her after about 30 mins and we won (not because of me).

THE END

Good story.

Girls!! Know your place!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
but does the cutlery feel inadequate that you take it to another room? I think you should wash all the plates but leave a bit of dirt on each one

I take care to explain to the cutlery that the reason I am washing them with wetwipes in another room is because I don't want to put too much pressure on the sink. A couple of the teaspoons can get a bit funny about it sometimes, but on the whole they accept it. The potato masher is always very understanding.

Not keen on your idea btw. I don't think letting the sink leave ALL the plates dirty would be helping anyone in the long run.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I understand your take on this but as a teacher I can tell you there are good reasons why we do not correct every single spelling mistake in every single piece of work. There is a learning objective for every piece of writing a child does, and the work is marked with this in mind. Learning objectives are structured so that a child learns all the writing skills that you and I take for granted, i.e. structure (story openings for example), grammar, use of imaginative vocabulary, being able to write in different styles, e.g. diary entries or factual writing. You can imagine that if we marked all work for all aspects of writing, the child would not know what to concentrate on. It would be a bit like your driving instructor teaching you about road positioning, use of the clutch, reading road signs etc all in your first lesson.

Funny you should say that, because that's exactly what I had in my first driving lesson yesterday!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
A word about PE lessons - they are lessons where you are taught something and where you as a teacher are putting across a skill to a group whose abilities are often at different ends of the scale. Football wise, up to year 9 your average class of about 20 or so will consist of the following:
1. One or two who may be signed to local professional or non-league clubs.
2. A fair number who play competitively for local junior teams on a Sunday.
3. A fair number who like football but only get to play in the playground or the park after school.
4. A number who do not like playing the game.
5. A few who are incapable of playing the game.

Somehow you as a teacher have to balance the lesson to cater for them all, teach them an aspect of the game for the first part of the lesson, for instance ball control or passing, then apply to a game situation. If somebody, usually from the first two groups, is too busy showing off or not following instructions then they should be punished because they are ruining it for others within that lesson. If you show some promise during lessons then quite often PE teachers will suggest joining local clubs or even pick you for school teams or trials which is where competitiveness should be encouraged because then you are pitting your skills against likeminded people. Running rings round the class fatty isn't going to prove anything.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
i think the point is you correct some but not all otherwise it becomes a mass of red ink (are you still allowed to use red or is that banned for being inflammatory) and the pupils might not learn anything as they see everything wrong and the pupil might feel like giving up. Its based on the principle of telling them they may have done three things wrong but they got one good thing right rather than 20 wrong and one right. If there are a lot of spelling mistakes surely its best to tackle them a few at a time. When you're washing up do you put all the dishes in the sink in one go or do you work through one by one?

Exactly this. No-one is suggesting teachers let bad spelling go.

But if a kid makes 20 spelling mistakes in a piece of writing and you circle/correct them all - where are they going to start on learning a lesson from that? The simple answer that is proven by psychologists and education analysts is that they probably won't start at all, and won't learn the correct way to spell any of them. If you highlight 1/2/3, that is 1/2/3 more than nothing. And then the next time you concentrate on 3 more that they are getting wrong.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
A word about PE lessons - they are lessons where you are taught something and where you as a teacher are putting across a skill to a group whose abilities are often at different ends of the scale. Football wise, up to year 9 your average class of about 20 or so will consist of the following:
1. One or two who may be signed to local professional or non-league clubs.
2. A fair number who play competitively for local junior teams on a Sunday.
3. A fair number who like football but only get to play in the playground or the park after school.
4. A number who do not like playing the game.
5. A few who are incapable of playing the game.

Somehow you as a teacher have to balance the lesson to cater for them all, teach them an aspect of the game for the first part of the lesson, for instance ball control or passing, then apply to a game situation. If somebody, usually from the first two groups, is too busy showing off or not following instructions then they should be punished because they are ruining it for others within that lesson. If you show some promise during lessons then quite often PE teachers will suggest joining local clubs or even pick you for school teams or trials which is where competitiveness should be encouraged because then you are pitting your skills against likeminded people. Running rings round the class fatty isn't going to prove anything.

Don't talk sense on here!

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I take care to explain to the cutlery that the reason I am washing them with wetwipes in another room is because I don't want to put too much pressure on the sink. A couple of the teaspoons can get a bit funny about it sometimes, but on the whole they accept it. The potato masher is always very understanding.

Not keen on your idea btw. I don't think letting the sink leave ALL the plates dirty would be helping anyone in the long run.

I just think the segregation is bad in the long term as it makes the plates feel superior to the cutlery while letting the sink get away with not doing all its work and making the cutlery scapegoats just think of the bullying that will happen later in the drawer. Potato mashers accept anything, they spend all day getting their head bashed in so they don't really know whats going on anyway.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Just spoken with his class teacher,who confirmed that he had been told to give the other team a chance,but chose to ignore her and scored a third goal and then he and fellow team mates celebrated the goal rather over enthusiastically.He was being punished to remind him of the School golden rules of fair play and sportsmanship and - suprise suprise - it`s not the winning but the taking part! There,that told me.

Sounds to me like he was told off for giving it the big 'un rather than the act of scoring.

No doubt influenced by the fact that Mrs. P teaches but I adopt the simple rule - "If my daughter's teacher doesn't come round my house and tell me how to do my job I won't go to the school and tell her how to do hers".
You should try my job. Everyone in the bloody world knows how to be a better transport planner than I am. To say nothing of NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here