Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

P.C. gone mad...AGAIN!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
f***ing hell your right on the money there. Ive been saying why do people spell Lose like Loose now I know. My son will be privately tutored by an ex teacher I know after school so in about 30 years he will be running this country full of numpties.

You read it here first.

I'm fairly sure there are a few older people who can't spell too.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Just spoken with his class teacher,who confirmed that he had been told to give the other team a chance,but chose to ignore her and scored a third goal and then he and fellow team mates celebrated the goal rather over enthusiastically.He was being punished to remind him of the School golden rules of fair play and sportsmanship and - suprise suprise - it`s not the winning but the taking part! There,that told me.

Can I suggest a more suitable response would have been to have made the sides fairer maybe? What a crock of shit.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
I suspect you're not too familiar with this model of education. In this instance, the emphasis is on the children learning, not the teachers teaching. The teachers are there to assist the child.

It's a more wide-ranging approach to learning, above and beyond, as the other poster put it 'being taught parrot-fashion', where you learn all the important aspects of English, maths, art, music, science, nature etc. and about the nature of self-esteem, teamwork, civility, manners, hard work and so on. It has been going on for over 100 years, and is very effective

Genuine question here, no axe to grind. If this "more wide-ranging" approach is "very effective" why isn't this style of education adopted in all schools?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am very familiar with this method of teaching, my ex of nine years was a teacher, probably taught a fair few of the NSCers kids I would have thought as she taught in a local school but I digress.Teachers are an odd bunch. A lot of my friends are teachers and I love them dearly but every one of them, to a man complains that they are being forced to teach in an inappropriate way but if anyone outside the teaching profession says similar it is met with a reaction bordering on psychotic hostility and the gist of such reaction is usually "You don't know what you are talking about". Strange. They even think that about the teaching assistants who probably do know a little bit as they are in the class all day, albeit helping sharpen pencils or shush the children but they are there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Genuine question here, no axe to grind. If this "more wide-ranging" approach is "very effective" why isn't this style of education adopted in all schools?

Good question, and the answer is, I don't know. It doesn't necessarily follow it's the most appropriate education method for every child, though there's scant reason why it shouldn't be.

Politics down the years (and face it, no government ever keeps to a consistent education policy) has decreed the 'top-down' adult-oriented (rather than child-oriented) approach is the one to take. At a guess, it's possibly the nature of our culture and the way society has viewed children and childhood, but that's a bit of a stab in the dark.

Bit and pieces of it have been implemented here and there. For instance, the what now seems painfully obvious implementation of 'child-size' tables and chairs was copied from Montessori.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
.Teachers are an odd bunch. A lot of my friends are teachers and I love them dearly but every one of them, to a man complains that they are being forced to teach in an inappropriate way but if anyone outside the teaching profession says similar it is met with a reaction bordering on psychotic hostility and the gist of such reaction is usually "You don't know what you are talking about". Strange. They even think that about the teaching assistants who probably do know a little bit as they are in the class all day, albeit helping sharpen pencils or shush the children but they are there

Absolutely. At our primary school (my wife is a Governor) at the first hint of criticism , the deputy headmistress will fold her arms across her chest and announce "well I've been teaching for 30 years and..." the implication being that because you don't have that level of experience anything you might have to say on the subject is invalid.

This is the same teacher, to drag things back to the original poster's experience,that is one of the orchestrators of the "non-competitive throw bean bags through a hoop as team" sports day. Apparently this is to save the children from the "trauma" of losing.

Fair enough if that's what you genuinely believe in but compare and contrast this attitude with the same teacher proudly dishing out Grade 3 recorder exam certificates, to those that had passed, during a school assembly. Presumably the one lad (not my son as it happens) who failed that exam and had to sit through these celebrations experienced no such trauma.

They want to have their cake and eat it don't they?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Running rings round the class fatty isn't going to prove anything.

If you are a teacher, I assume that last remark is tongue in cheek? If you used that language at our school your feet wouldnt touch the ground as you headed out of the gate.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes, non competitive sports days? What the f***? In about ten years time we are gonna have a generation of young adults with very little ambition. What the hell is English sport gonna look like if children don't have at least a sense of competitiveness and ambition to win? Appalling.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

In early year schooling, ts called "free flow" and its turning good experienced well paid teachers into nursery nurses!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm sorry, but this not correcting every spelling mistake thing just strikes me as another example of schools aggressively catering for the less intelligent / able kids, whilst leaving the brighter ones high and dry. If I'd written a piece of work and included some more challenging words, but they're spelling was not corrected, I'd have been thoroughly pissed off if I then used that word again and was told that it was spelled wrong, as by then I would have learnt it that way.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm sorry, but this not correcting every spelling mistake but they're spelling was not corrected,.

"their"

You illiterate bufoon.

he he

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Yes, non competitive sports days? What the f***? In about ten years time we are gonna have a generation of young adults with very little ambition. What the hell is English sport gonna look like if children don't have at least a sense of competitiveness and ambition to win? Appalling.
Interestingly my youngest daughter's school changed back to competitive sports days a few years ago. A friend who was a governor at the school told me that they had to put a lot of pressure on the head to do it as he was in favour of the non-competitive sort.

This business of supposedly avoiding trauma for the kids who lose just sums up for me just how far away from the real world some (though by no means all) of the teaching profession are.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One of the recommendations for improving football standards is to do away with winning and losing (or the league systems that keep track of them) because kids (and their parents) get so concerned with winning they don't worry about improving. They'd rather pick big kids who can bot the ball up the full size pitch, than the smaller kids who are skillful, but become tired by the ground they have to cover playing on adult pitches. By removing winning and losing, they focus on tactics and playing the game, instead of lumping it to the big kids, they have to show creativity and pass and move and so grow up with better skills.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
i think the point is you correct some but not all otherwise it becomes a mass of red ink (are you still allowed to use red or is that banned for being inflammatory) and the pupils might not learn anything as they see everything wrong and the pupil might feel like giving up. Its based on the principle of telling them they may have done three things wrong but they got one good thing right rather than 20 wrong and one right. If there are a lot of spelling mistakes surely its best to tackle them a few at a time. When you're washing up do you put all the dishes in the sink in one go or do you work through one by one?

Thank you JCL!

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Exactly this. No-one is suggesting teachers let bad spelling go.

But if a kid makes 20 spelling mistakes in a piece of writing and you circle/correct them all - where are they going to start on learning a lesson from that? The simple answer that is proven by psychologists and education analysts is that they probably won't start at all, and won't learn the correct way to spell any of them. If you highlight 1/2/3, that is 1/2/3 more than nothing. And then the next time you concentrate on 3 more that they are getting wrong.

... and thank you ATFC!

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
One of the recommendations for improving football standards is to do away with winning and losing (or the league systems that keep track of them) because kids (and their parents) get so concerned with winning they don't worry about improving. They'd rather pick big kids who can bot the ball up the full size pitch, than the smaller kids who are skillful, but become tired by the ground they have to cover playing on adult pitches. By removing winning and losing, they focus on tactics and playing the game, instead of lumping it to the big kids, they have to show creativity and pass and move and so grow up with better skills.

That's all very well but what's their spelling like?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here