Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

P.C. gone mad...AGAIN!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
'A bit upset and confused' you say? Give 'im a clip raaaahnd the ear and tell 'im to MAN UP. Upset and confused, indeed - this is political correctness gone . . . oh.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Scoring lots of goals? Can you make sure he brings his boots with him to the Amex on Sunday by any chance?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
To be fair, I don't think the guy was suggesting your boy was lying, merely that there may be slightly more to it than he's told you, that's all.

Indeed. Exagerration perhaps.... but not suggesting its an outright lie.

I'm talking about a general shift in culture nowadays. There is a real "My Jonny would never do anything wrong" mentality about a lot of parents, and they are hugely responsible for the incredible sense of entitlement amongst teenagers nowadays. Just don't know when and why this shift in parenting style happened. Not saying this applies to you as I am sure you have your head screwed on.

PS - If, when you go to the school, it turns out your son's version of events was entirely accurate please give those teachers a couple of slaps from me....

Aug 26, 2011
My son,11, came home from school yesterday,a bit upset and confused,when I asked him what the matter was he replied that he had been told off by two of the teachers and had 20mins. golden time taken away (this is free time at the end of the week to play on computers etc..) It turns out that during a football match he was playing in,he kept scoring goals and subsequently had been told not to as it was unsporting and he should have been giving the other team more of a chance! I just don`t know what to say,needless to say I am going up the School to see the Headmistress to find out what the f*** is going on,but,what chance does this country stand if this is the type of total bollocks of an education our kids are receiving.No wonder the Country is in such a f***ing mess!!

I doubt it wasn't the goal scoring that the teacher was disciplining him for..
...it was more likely that he was chanting 'the referees a w*nker'..?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I bet he just didn't pass the ball to anyone.... if he was warned about that. I see it to be pretty fair that he get some sort of "punishment"...

quite how having free time AT SCHOOL taken away from you is a punishment I don't know. Surely free time is playtime? or when you're at home?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You'll prob find he was goal hanging or not passing. I'd kick him off too.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
they won't correct every spelling mistake on any piece of work (because it would knock their confidence) - so instead they think lose is spelt like loose etc.

I understand your take on this but as a teacher I can tell you there are good reasons why we do not correct every single spelling mistake in every single piece of work. There is a learning objective for every piece of writing a child does, and the work is marked with this in mind. Learning objectives are structured so that a child learns all the writing skills that you and I take for granted, i.e. structure (story openings for example), grammar, use of imaginative vocabulary, being able to write in different styles, e.g. diary entries or factual writing. You can imagine that if we marked all work for all aspects of writing, the child would not know what to concentrate on. It would be a bit like your driving instructor teaching you about road positioning, use of the clutch, reading road signs etc all in your first lesson.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Thats like the sports day at my sons school where there are no winners, and they won't correct every spelling mistake on any piece of work (because it would knock their confidence) - so instead they think lose is spelt like loose etc.

f***ing hell your right on the money there. Ive been saying why do people spell Lose like Loose now I know. My son will be privately tutored by an ex teacher I know after school so in about 30 years he will be running this country full of numpties.

You read it here first.

No doubt influenced by the fact that Mrs. P teaches but I adopt the simple rule - "If my daughter's teacher doesn't come round my house and tell me how to do my job I won't go to the school and tell her how to do hers".

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I understand your take on this but as a teacher I can tell you there are good reasons why we do not correct every single spelling mistake in every single piece of work. There is a learning objective for every piece of writing a child does, and the work is marked with this in mind. Learning objectives are structured so that a child learns all the writing skills that you and I take for granted, i.e. structure (story openings for example), grammar, use of imaginative vocabulary, being able to write in different styles, e.g. diary entries or factual writing. You can imagine that if we marked all work for all aspects of writing, the child would not know what to concentrate on. It would be a bit like your driving instructor teaching you about road positioning, use of the clutch, reading road signs etc all in your first lesson.

Well this approach is clearly not working is it. When I was at school you got your spelling mistakes corrected. Full stop. To use your driving lesson analogy, would you let a pupil get away without indicating because you were concentrating on 3 point turns that week? Teachers can defend it all they like (I know I went out with one for 9 years) but we all know deep down children's spelling is f***ing dire these days and in no small way due to these kind of teaching methods. You correct mistakes and the kid learns. Spelling is a basic skill that should be taught continuously.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Would be interesting to hear the schools version of events after your visit.

It does seem a little far fetched but in this day and age, who knows.

Just spoken with his class teacher,who confirmed that he had been told to give the other team a chance,but chose to ignore her and scored a third goal and then he and fellow team mates celebrated the goal rather over enthusiastically.He was being punished to remind him of the School golden rules of fair play and sportsmanship and - suprise suprise - it`s not the winning but the taking part! There,that told me.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Indeed. Exagerration perhaps.... but not suggesting its an outright lie.

I'm talking about a general shift in culture nowadays. There is a real "My Jonny would never do anything wrong" mentality about a lot of parents, and they are hugely responsible for the incredible sense of entitlement amongst teenagers nowadays. Just don't know when and why this shift in parenting style happened. Not saying this applies to you as I am sure you have your head screwed on.

PS - If, when you go to the school, it turns out your son's version of events was entirely accurate please give those teachers a couple of slaps from me....

this.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just spoken with his class teacher,who confirmed that he had been told to give the other team a chance,but chose to ignore her and scored a third goal and then he and fellow team mates celebrated the goal rather over enthusiastically.He was being punished to remind him of the School golden rules of fair play and sportsmanship and - suprise suprise - it`s not the winning but the taking part! There,that told me.

Tell his teachers to shove it up their bollocks

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, not so much PC gone mad, more your son disobeyed his teacher and so was punished for it?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Well this approach is clearly not working is it. When I was at school you got your spelling mistakes corrected. Full stop. To use your driving lesson analogy, would you let a pupil get away without indicating because you were concentrating on 3 point turns that week? Teachers can defend it all they like (I know I went out with one for 9 years) but we all know deep down children's spelling is f***ing dire these days and in no small way due to these kind of teaching methods. You correct mistakes and the kid learns. Spelling is a basic skill that should be taught continuously.

:facepalm:

Yes of course you would point out the need for indicating during a 3-point turn as this is part of the manoeuvre!!

Funny how 2 teachers have told you the same thing. I teach adults too and I can tell you that it is a myth that all adults can spell and most young people can't, one that is put about by people like you who have never taught and want to make point without having hard evidence to back it up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
:facepalm:

Yes of course you would point out the need for indicating during a 3-point turn as this is part of the manoeuvre!!

Funny how 2 teachers have told you the same thing. I teach adults too and I can tell you that it is a myth that all adults can spell and most young people can't, one that is put about by people like you who have never taught and want to make point without having hard evidence to back it up.

Isn't spelling correctly important when telling a story (at least a story that is meant to be read), important with some forms of grammar (their, there, they're for example)? Isn't it such a basic skill it should be taught before story structure and different styles of writing. Isn't learning different prose forms before spelling a case of running before you can walk?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here