Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ostigard - Sold To Napoli 18/07/2022

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Roberts was 19 all last season. 19 ! Yet still a EPL squad regular.
Ben White went on his first loan to Newport County at the equivalent age. Way too early to judge how he might develop.

If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Having seen him play in the U23s regularly, I don't believe he will make it as a CB, perhaps a defensive midfielder.

All opinions, we shall see.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes. Not sure about a production line though.

Is Roberts good enough? Sub last year, but even when we were down to bare numbers he wasn’t called upon, probably needs a loan.
Could Cochrane play as a LCB, he played in a 3 at Hearts, is a good player IMO
Clarke likely to be at WBA
Turns also needs a loan.

Roberts definately needs a loan, IMHO. While he's out on loan I think we might be more likely to extend Clarke's contract (or offer him a better one) to give us left-sided cover rather then Cochrane - he's done OK up in Scotland, but without setting the SPL alight - maybe he's found hs level (though I think he might be influenced by higher wages in the Championship).

Tsoungui and Turns both look ready for loans to get them on to our CB production line.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Roberts definately needs a loan, IMHO. While he's out on loan I think we might be more likely to extend Clarke's contract (or offer him a better one) to give us left-sided cover rather then Cochrane - he's done OK up in Scotland, but without setting the SPL alight - maybe he's found hs level (though I think he might be influenced by higher wages in the Championship).

Tsoungui and Turns both look ready for loans to get them on to our CB production line.

He did ok at Rochdale when he went out on loan but agreed a championship load where he will regularly get time in a back 3.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He did ok at Rochdale when he went out on loan but agreed a championship load where he will regularly get time in a back 3.
He did just about OK at Rochdale, but no more than that - perhaps it was a bit too soon for him. He does seem not to have progressed much this season, sitting on the bench and playing a handful of U23 games. Hope he gets a really good loan - I think he needs one!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Opinions of course and I get the maxim often quoted on here and of course Albion have given 17 year olds and a 19 year old debuts this season. That said i think its premature to write off the prospects of a promising player when they are still a teenager.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Having seen him play in the U23s regularly, I don't believe he will make it as a CB, perhaps a defensive midfielder.

All opinions, we shall see.

All I'll say on this is:
-- pretty sure that that maxim is being slowly eased out: the debut age, and 50 appearance point of PL players is getting older (I don't have the stats to back this up, but I'd be amazed if it was wrong)
-- CBs will be one of the last positions to get debuts, only eclipsed by goalkeepers

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He struggled at Rochdale at CB dealing with big CFs. Ended up at FB

I feel ok is a fair assessment. First real game time very young and did ok. Didn’t set the world alight certainly didn’t get the praise Ben White did at Newport though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All I'll say on this is:
-- pretty sure that that maxim is being slowly eased out: the debut age, and 50 appearance point of PL players is getting older (I don't have the stats to back this up, but I'd be amazed if it was wrong)
-- CBs will be one of the last positions to get debuts, only eclipsed by goalkeepers

Probably, but you wouldn’t not play any player, if he was clearly good enough.

Our goalkeeper is quite young…. But there are fewer of those.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I feel ok is a fair assessment. First real game time very young and did ok. Didn’t set the world alight certainly didn’t get the praise Ben White did at Newport though.

He's still younger than when Ben White made his debut for Newport.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's still younger than when Ben White made his debut for Newport.

Actually he's four months older than White was when he joined Newport (Roberts was 20 in May, White was three months short of his 20th. birthday when he made his debut for Newport) - but yes, Roberts was obviously quite a bit younger when he went to Rochdale.

Still a good time for him to have a loan out now though!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Actually he's four months older than White was when he joined Newport (Roberts was 20 in May, White was three months short of his 20th. birthday when he made his debut for Newport) - but yes, Roberts was obviously quite a bit younger when he went to Rochdale.

Still a good time for him to have a loan out now though!

Ha! Yes. Agreed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ostigard - SIGNS 1 year deal - LOAN to Stoke

[tweet]1537604188149911552[/tweet]

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A very good move for the young man, if it comes too pass. Anybody fancy playing 'Guess the transfer fee'? I seem to remember seeing £3M too £4M* suggested somewhere - that seems about right, and represents a decent profit for the development team. A couple of successful seasons in Serie A could boost his value considerably, so I'd hope we include a decent sell-on clause.

*Transfermarket (for what it's worth) rate him at £4.5M. That would be nice .......................

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
A very good move for the young man, if it comes too pass. Anybody fancy playing 'Guess the transfer fee'? I seem to remember seeing £3M too £4M* suggested somewhere - that seems about right, and represents a decent profit for the development team. A couple of successful seasons in Serie A could boost his value considerably, so I'd hope we include a decent sell-on clause.

*Transfermarket (for what it's worth) rate him at £4.5M. That would be nice .......................

£4m would be lovely. More than we paid for Lampety and Veltman combined.

Strange how bargain right backs are less tricky to find than left backs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Last week the Norwegian equivalent of BBC reported that talks have been ongoing for four weeks due to Brighton wanting lots of bonuses. According to them, the initial fee would be £3m with bonuses potentially taking it to £10m.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last week the Norwegian equivalent of BBC reported that talks have been ongoing for four weeks due to Brighton wanting lots of bonuses. According to them, the initial fee would be £3m with bonuses potentially taking it to £10m.
£10M seems a lot at this stage of hs career - but I suppose it depends on what the bonuses are for. A £1M bonus if they win Serie A, for instance, might be quite a safe bet for Napoli (and if by any chance they do ever win it, that £1M would be worth it!). £1M for every ten appearances he makes - considerably less tempting for Napoli!

Like I said, I hope we put in a good sell-on clause!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here