Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ostigard - Sold To Napoli 18/07/2022

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I see Mathias Normann also in Norway squad. Never got a look in with us and think we gave him away to a Russian club. Last year Norwich best player

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I see Mathias Normann also in Norway squad. Never got a look in with us and think we gave him away to a Russian club. Last year Norwich best player

Was he really their best player, and what does that prove anyway? They were Championship at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If the final figure is nearer to 4 M euros plus add ons & an onward sale percentage , that’s not bad for a player who cost around £100k & whose salary has been paid mainly by on loan clubs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
According to Norwegian media, negotiations between Brighton and Napoli has been ongoing for four weeks.

£3m is only the initial fee, Brighton also wants a number of bonuses and clauses that could bring the total fee closer to £10m.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Excellent today, again. Bit funny that in both games against Sweden, he had a very murderous look and had to be restrained by his team mates not too rage-destroy some Swedes. Some temperament. But will be a world class defender if he can keep it in check.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ostigard - SIGNS 1 year deal - LOAN to Stoke

Excellent today, again. Bit funny that in both games against Sweden, he had a very murderous look and had to be restrained by his team mates not too rage-destroy some Swedes. Some temperament. But will be a world class defender if he can keep it in check.

‘World Class Defender’ is an almighty claim. I’d be distraught if I thought that the club were selling a potential world class talent (like Cucu or Caicedo) on the cheap and not shoving him in the first team to replace Burn & Duffy.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
‘World Class Defender’ is an almighty claim. I’d be distraught if I thought that the club were selling a potential world class talent (like Cucu or Caicedo) on the cheap and not shoving him in the first team to replace Burn & Duffy.
Indeed - if the club are of a similar mind that that's his likely trajectory, there's no way Potter isn't moving heaven and earth to find a place for him in the side next season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The idea that the risks in selling Ostigard (selling him for too little, better than our existing squad, could develop into much better player/and thus be worth millions more) haven't occurred to the club - implicit everytime we sell a loanee is a bit overdone. Of course they have which is why if its got to the this stage then they will structure the sale to mitigate that (sell on percentages, add-ons in terms of performances etc), worked through the options with both Potter and the player and presumably gamed out various scenarios (what if - x is also sold, what if x is injured during the season, what if we manage or not to land x player we're looking at, what if x player in squad doesn't develop as we'd hoped) and his impact if he's no longer on the books. Let alone what happens if we don't sell and he won't sign a new contract. ie: he goes for a free in 2023.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The idea that the risks in selling Ostigard (selling him for too little, better than our existing squad, could develop into much better player/and thus be worth millions more) haven't occurred to the club - implicit everytime we sell a loanee is a bit overdone. Of course they have which is why if its got to the this stage then they will structure the sale to mitigate that (sell on percentages, add-ons in terms of performances etc), worked through the options with both Potter and the player and presumably gamed out various scenarios (what if - x is also sold, what if x is injured during the season, what if we manage or not to land x player we're looking at, what if x player in squad doesn't develop as we'd hoped) and his impact if he's no longer on the books. Let alone what happens if we don't sell and he won't sign a new contract. ie: he goes for a free in 2023.
Indeed.

I really don't think the club get much wrong with sales and generally drive a very hard bargain with the buyers.

Of course we win some and lose some and sometimes we look at the bigger picture and reward longer serving players like Burn by not being too hard nosed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yeah well, it is what I believe will happen. He will be one of the best defenders around.

After the game yesterday he called himself "a little psycho" and that his team mates had to stop him from getting a red (because it has happened before). The Norwegian coach said he was class but needs to learn to control his temper and "not always try to be a muscle man". But as a player he really he is great. Good with the ball, very strong in the air, used to play striker until about 5 years ago so he's also a threat any time he gets near the opposition penalty box.

If the situation was slightly different I think he would have had a good chance to play in the PL next season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yeah well, it is what I believe will happen. He will be one of the best defenders around.

After the game yesterday he called himself "a little psycho" and that his team mates had to stop him from getting a red (because it has happened before). The Norwegian coach said he was class but needs to learn to control his temper and "not always try to be a muscle man". But as a player he really he is great. Good with the ball, very strong in the air, used to play striker until about 5 years ago so he's also a threat any time he gets near the opposition penalty box.

If the situation was slightly different I think he would have had a good chance to play in the PL next season.

Clearly been taking your drugs again

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure why we would sell a player with international experience when he can replace Duffy who is likely to be released

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Not sure why we would sell a player with international experience when he can replace Duffy who is likely to be released

Ostigard doesn’t want to sit on the bench, he wants to be playing. If he stays and doesn’t force his way into the side this season we will lose him on a free (actually it could be for a nominal fee set by tribunal as he will still be under 24 depending where he moves too). Selling him now means we can get a larger fee for him and negotiate better add ons. Clearly the club have weighed up the chances of him being in front of Veltman, Webster, Dunk and even Cucurella (when he’s been part of a back 3) this coming season and don’t see it happening. That’s before they even then add what’s going to happen with the likes of Jan Paul van Hecke or Matt Clarke.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apart from your first sentence (obviously meant to be sarcastic) I fully agree. Of course the club have done a f*ck*n' huge load of work and research and calculation on whatever happins next for Osti (and every other player on the books). Also, it is a given that the club will be as tight as the proverbial duck's arse about any deal - which is absolutely fair enough.

All the above, of course, will lead some of us to speculate, and sometimes discuss, whether we think the club has done a good deal ................... or not. It is the sort of thing that gets discussed on fans' message boards - it is not an unjustified attack or criticism of the club. We (or most of us) are very happy with the way the Albion is run - but a discussion about what to do with Osti doesn't actually require anyone to rush to the club's defence.

Nobody's attacking it!

What do you think would be a good deal for Osti? Not that that will have any bearing on what he is sold for (if indeed he is sold) but just as a basis of internet chatline discussion. £1M not enough? - or reasonable? £3M - should we hope for a big sell-on clause? Or should we all just wait until the club say Osti has left the club for an undisclosed fee - and we wish him well, blah, blah, blah - and shut the f*ck up until then? And stop discussing it afterwards?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He is just too aggressive at the moment, if he gets control of that he might be, but he isn't ready to play for us in the PL this season, so if there is an interested buyer it is probably best all round if he moves on.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm intrigued by this deal and what he'll do at Napoli. I'd love to be a fly on the wall and privy to every party's thinking.

He wants first team football which presumably we can't guarantee him so he wants to move on. Fair enough. If Ostigard is moving on for first team football you have to assume that he's been told he'll get it at Napoli. Napoli, however, are a much bigger club than us, challenging at the top end of Serie A and playing European football. If he's good enough for their first team he has to be good enough or very close to ours doesn't he?

Has he been given assurances that he'll be a starter at Napoli? Has he been given a similar role/prospects at both clubs so has decided that Napoli is the club to be at? If we think he's good enough for our first team but he won't sign what kind of deal/add ons/sale percentage are we going to negotiate? Presumably, if we think he's good enough for our first team it'll be quite considerable otherwise it wouldn't outweigh the benefit of an improved first team and the chance of him signing a new deal.

I know some of those questions will never be answered and are probably true for a lot of deals I just find this one particularly intriguing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here