Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ostigard - Sold To Napoli 18/07/2022

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm intrigued by this deal and what he'll do at Napoli. I'd love to be a fly on the wall and privy to every party's thinking.

He wants first team football which presumably we can't guarantee him so he wants to move on. Fair enough. If Ostigard is moving on for first team football you have to assume that he's been told he'll get it at Napoli. Napoli, however, are a much bigger club than us, challenging at the top end of Serie A and playing European football. If he's good enough for their first team he has to be good enough or very close to ours doesn't he?

Has he been given assurances that he'll be a starter at Napoli? Has he been given a similar role/prospects at both clubs so has decided that Napoli is the club to be at? If we think he's good enough for our first team but he won't sign what kind of deal/add ons/sale percentage are we going to negotiate? Presumably, if we think he's good enough for our first team it'll be quite considerable otherwise it wouldn't outweigh the benefit of an improved first team and the chance of him signing a new deal.

I know some of those questions will never be answered and are probably true for a lot of deals I just find this one particularly intriguing.

I assume Napoli don't have the same quality of established centre backs ahead of him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I assume Napoli don't have the same quality of established centre backs ahead of him.

That's the obvious inference but they have Koulibaly (although I think he might be on the move) and they finished third in Serie A, played in Europe last season and will be in the champions league next season. I haven't watched them play so don't know who they have beyond Koulibaly but you'd imagine a top end Italian team would have decent defenders. And even if they currently don't is Ostigard really a big upgrade on a third in Serie A defense? If he is it asks the question concerning his role with us next year.

I just find it such an intriguing scenario. It might just be me suffering a bit of 'little Brighton' syndrome. I can't fathom how a player apparently surplus to our requirements can be chased by a club the size of Napoli. Because of that seemingly bizarre set of circumstances I'm genuinely fascinated by it all. Far more than I am by most other player sales, especially when he hasn't made an appearance for the first team.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I'm intrigued by this deal and what he'll do at Napoli. I'd love to be a fly on the wall and privy to every party's thinking.

He wants first team football which presumably we can't guarantee him so he wants to move on. Fair enough. If Ostigard is moving on for first team football you have to assume that he's been told he'll get it at Napoli. Napoli, however, are a much bigger club than us, challenging at the top end of Serie A and playing European football. If he's good enough for their first team he has to be good enough or very close to ours doesn't he?

Has he been given assurances that he'll be a starter at Napoli? Has he been given a similar role/prospects at both clubs so has decided that Napoli is the club to be at? If we think he's good enough for our first team but he won't sign what kind of deal/add ons/sale percentage are we going to negotiate? Presumably, if we think he's good enough for our first team it'll be quite considerable otherwise it wouldn't outweigh the benefit of an improved first team and the chance of him signing a new deal.

I know some of those questions will never be answered and are probably true for a lot of deals I just find this one particularly intriguing.
.....or, he has settled in Italy, wants to stay there and has asked the club to allow him to stay there rather than restart his career here in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the obvious inference but they have Koulibaly (although I think he might be on the move) and they finished third in Serie A, played in Europe last season and will be in the champions league next season. I haven't watched them play so don't know who they have beyond Koulibaly but you'd imagine a top end Italian team would have decent defenders. And even if they currently don't is Ostigard really a big upgrade on a third in Serie A defense? If he is it asks the question concerning his role with us next year.

I just find it such an intriguing scenario. It might just be me suffering a bit of 'little Brighton' syndrome. I can't fathom how a player apparently surplus to our requirements can be chased by a club the size of Napoli. Because of that seemingly bizarre set of circumstances I'm genuinely fascinated by it all. Far more than I am by most other player sales, especially when he hasn't made an appearance for the first team.

It's the new normal, us 'little Brighton' fans are going to have to get used too.

The one that's going to get me will be the:-

£10m ish signing.
One visit to Lancing.
A couple of decreasing loan moves.
Completely forgotten about.
Announcement 3 years later 'player X has left the club by mutual consent'.
Collective "whhhhoooooooooo".

The law of averages says it will happen to 'little Brighton'.

It's a whole new world out there.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I suspect there is a bigger story to tell, if Ostigard and Duffy are sold over the summer. Add these to the fees for White and BDB and I doubt there is another club in the world who could raise that much money from selling centre backs on not replace them. We have been stockpiling them for a while now though.

Anyway back to Ostigard;

He doesn't want to stay, so there is no point in keeping a player who doesn't want to be here.
Not good enough to start for premier league Brighton right now, or Championship Stoke last season.

So yes intriguing that Napoli rate him so highly. I think the deal the club is supposedly pushing for could be very good for all parties.

Could the club have handled this differently? Yes there were multiple opportunities to do something different. With hindsight the loan to Stoke clearly didn't work out and Haydon Roberts also seem to go backwards spending a season bench warming. For Ostigard to have stayed at the club and to have forced himself into the first team, he was going to have had to push past a highly experienced senior professional, who was having possibly the best season of his career (Joel Veltman).

We have some good prospects in this position in the U23s, plus two Championship Players of the Season to come into contention and then you can't rule out further signings. I haven't seen a great deal of Ostigard, but he seems to be a committed tough tackling defender, maybe a little hot headed and possibly some rough edges in terms of keeping possession. Maybe those are characteristics, which Napoli value more highly than Brighton right now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I suspect there is a bigger story to tell, if Ostigard and Duffy are sold over the summer. Add these to the fees for White and BDB and I doubt there is another club in the world who could raise that much money from selling centre backs on not replace them. We have been stockpiling them for a while now though.

Clearly goalkeepers are the new currency at the club.

One day it'll be strikers!!!!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Anyway back to Ostigard;

He doesn't want to stay, so there is no point in keeping a player who doesn't want to be here.
Not good enough to start for premier league Brighton right now, or Championship Stoke last season.

So yes intriguing that Napoli rate him so highly. I think the deal the club is supposedly pushing for could be very good for all parties.

Could the club have handled this differently? Yes there were multiple opportunities to do something different. With hindsight the loan to Stoke clearly didn't work out and Haydon Roberts also seem to go backwards spending a season bench warming. For Ostigard to have stayed at the club and to have forced himself into the first team, he was going to have had to push past a highly experienced senior professional, who was having possibly the best season of his career (Joel Veltman).

We have some good prospects in this position in the U23s, plus two Championship Players of the Season to come into contention and then you can't rule out further signings. I haven't seen a great deal of Ostigard, but he seems to be a committed tough tackling defender, maybe a little hot headed and possibly some rough edges in terms of keeping possession. Maybe those are characteristics, which Napoli value more highly than Brighton right now.

Yes, there's a lot of merit in what you say. Still a fascinating situation and I7ll be interested to see how he does from here.

.....or, he has settled in Italy, wants to stay there and has asked the club to allow him to stay there rather than restart his career here in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's entirely possible. It still raises the point(in my head at least) that if he's good enough for Napoli he's surely good enough for us. How many other first team/first team squad players would we let go for a few million because they liked another country?

I think my real stumbling block is getting my head round that a disposable player for us would be sought after by one of the biggest clubs in Italy and who'll be playing Champions league next season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Anyway back to Ostigard;

Agree, and thanks to you and GNLF for your contributions. That said, Ostigard's Stoke adventure wasn't that bad, but it does illustrate what seems to be his primary motivation: he wants to play regularly. If that still pertains, Napoli are aware of it, and are that keen to sign him, you can probably see why Bloom is proving more stubborn over this deal than with Bissouma.

Edit: supposed to include this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Skiri_Østigård

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think my real stumbling block is getting my head round that a disposable player for us would be sought after by one of the biggest clubs in Italy and who'll be playing Champions league next season.

What will be quite amusing, if this deal goes through, will be Stoke fans wondering why a player who wasn't good enough for them is playing CL football, after they sent him back halfway through his loan!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What will be quite amusing, if this deal goes through, will be Stoke fans wondering why a player who wasn't good enough for them is playing CL football, after they sent him back halfway through his loan!

They might conclude there's more details at play which aren't in the public domain

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From what I have seen he is probably good enough to play at our level, and has potential. But I’m not sure he’s better than Dunk / Webster / Veltman and given he is pretty honest that he wants to play - I’m not sure we can offer him much more than Duffy type role.

If he can get guaranteed from elsewhere and with his contract status then selling him is best for all parties I suspect. His interview was pretty no nonsense

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I had high hopes for Leo, He followed the White model to a Championship side in Coventry and probably expected that White's sale would create an opportunity for him but for whatever reason he didn't get minutes and went to Stoke.

Equally we have a gap: Veltman, Dunk & Duffy are all 30+ and Webster 27 beyond those we have a pool of promising player in their early 20's with very little matchday experience. I had expected with our academy full of CB's that we would be playing with 3 CB's every game and ensuring that talent was given a start year on year.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I had high hopes for Leo, He followed the White model to a Championship side in Coventry and probably expected that White's sale would create an opportunity for him but for whatever reason he didn't get minutes and went to Stoke.
It seems likely that he'll either be playing for us next season, or Napoli - how much higher can those hopes get...?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Equally we have a gap: Veltman, Dunk & Duffy are all 30+ and Webster 27 beyond those we have a pool of promising player in their early 20's with very little matchday experience. I had expected with our academy full of CB's that we would be playing with 3 CB's every game and ensuring that talent was given a start year on year.

Van Hecke next on the production line, and I think you'll see him play 10-20 games next season.
Duffy will go, following Burn out, which is the succession planning for our CBs.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Van Hecke next on the production line, and I think you'll see him play 10-20 games next season.
Duffy will go, following Burn out, which is the succession planning for our CBs.

Yes. Not sure about a production line though.

Is Roberts good enough? Sub last year, but even when we were down to bare numbers he wasn’t called upon, probably needs a loan.
Could Cochrane play as a LCB, he played in a 3 at Hearts, is a good player IMO
Clarke likely to be at WBA
Turns also needs a loan.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Is Roberts good enough? Sub last year, but even when we were down to bare numbers he wasn’t called upon, probably needs a loan.
Could Cochrane play as a LCB, he played in a 3 at Hearts, is a good player IMO
Clarke likely to be at WBA
Turns also needs a loan.

Turns I like the look of. We'll see. The production line was with reference to the likes of Dunk, White, Ostigard, Van Hecke, and who knows next.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Turns I like the look of. We'll see. The production line was with reference to the likes of Dunk, White, Ostigard, Van Hecke, and who knows next.

Fair enough.

Turns did look good, but perhaps a little short….

I wonder if we’ll buy, but hope Van Hecke and Cochrane get the opportunity

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ostigard - SIGNS 1 year deal - LOAN to Stoke

Roberts was 19 all last season. 19 ! Yet still a EPL squad regular.
Ben White went on his first loan to Newport County at the equivalent age. Way too early to judge how he might develop.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Little experience ? Van Hecke turned 22 last week. He has just played a season in the Championship , and was Blackburn’s player of the year. Pretty likely he’s joining the first team squad next season - he cost a modest sum.

(And watch out for Odel Offiah - he looks incredibly assured for 19 but a loan for him I imagine)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here