Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One of the greatest days of my life - Who was there ?.

BHAFC V Sheff Weds FA Cup Semi Final

• I was there

Votes: 96 65.3%
  • I was not even conceived

Votes: 26 17.7%
  • I was not there

Votes: 25 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I was there and thought it was a better day than the actual final. Not sure which was the better the semi final or the match at Newcastle when we beat them and got promoted to Div 1. Loads of Geordies singing Susex By the Sea because it meant Sunderland stayed down great day.

As a fellow oldie BG I think the Newcastle match was the greatest. The break through into the top division was something my Dad and I had dreamed of. The ride back on the train was simply the best. Match at Highbury was a good second, Cup Final third.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I still have a lot of newspaper reports from the day after up in the attic.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Indeed. The previous year, despite being a 1st division club, we just about scraped past non-League Barnet (after a replay) and then lost 3-0 at home to third division Oxford United. I think we had a thread on here about that a while ago and that was probably the WORST I've felt as a Brighton fan, so emotionally it was quite a jump!

NB - All divisions are quoted in old money.

Did we not get knocked out by Man U the year before the Cup Final? I remember going to Old Trafford and seeing us, unbelievably, go 2-0 up after 20 minutes only for the match to finish 2-2 and us lose to a Gary Birtles goal at the Goldstone on the Wednesday. We then played Utd again on the following Saturday in the league and lost 3-1.

As for the Highbury game, one of my great regrets is that I missed it due to illness. I was recuperating at my Aunties house whilst the rest of my family went to the game. I did get to Anfield, though, in the 5th round. A special day.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Did we not get knocked out by Man U the year before the Cup Final? I remember going to Old Trafford and seeing us, unbelievably, go 2-0 up after 20 minutes only for the match to finish 2-2 and us lose to a Gary Birtles goal at the Goldstone on the Wednesday. We then played Utd again on the following Saturday in the league and lost 3-1.

As for the Highbury game, one of my great regrets is that I missed it due to illness. I was recuperating at my Aunties house whilst the rest of my family went to the game. I did get to Anfield, though, in the 5th round. A special day.

The Man Utd FA Cup games you are thinking about were from 1980-81. I've got highlights of the 4-1 defeat to them somewhere on my laptop - a miserable performance!

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Yes was there, a superb atmosphere and agree with BG that actually enjoyed the game more than the final and replay.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Yes I was, way back and to the right hand side. I have just been looking at all the stuff about Hillsborough and remember at Highbury how you were just taken by the sheer volume of people in the crowd and had no control over where you ended up, especially so after the 1st goal which was just a fantastic goal.

I thought last night how much Alex goal reminded me of Jimmy's, but Jimmy's was much better:thumbsup:

Yep, about halfway up the Clock End - crowd magically parted right in front of me as Case's free kick hit the underside of the bar and went in.

It was a right crush, but personally I thought the North Stand for the Norwich game was much worse. I recall they closed the gates at 1.30, and I'd never known it half as bad before or afterwards, just constant surges for the next three and a half hours. The official attendance was bang on the official capacity, but there must have been thousands more there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My dads friends daughter got chicken pox that week, so I got the ticket. Fantastic time. Sadly I was too young to realise what a great and rare experience it was. At the time I thought it would be one of many such days!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We got a coach up. It was a glorious day, early 70's. 4 pints of beer were consumed in a local hostelry and onto the game. Its all a blur but I do remember crying at the final whistle with PRIDE. Thats why I am such a grumpy bastard and so disillusioned nowadays when you have experienced that and 4 years in the top flight the shite that has been served up for 3 years and the prospect of division 4 football next season really pisses you off. Anyone under 20 has only ever known abject shit apart from a few highlights but BHAFC were BIG and were the talk of the country for a while. Now we are SMALL FRY a football irrelevance.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I was there , squeezed in , near the back of the clock end. Wednesday fans were very noisy from what I can remember. Fantastic goal from Jimmy Case.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It was a magnificent day I will never forget.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was there - wonderful day
I remember going to the catering and giving the bloke a tenner for a couple of coffees and him saying "You lot must be rich in Brighton as all I've had all day is tenners"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here