Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Omar Deghayes to return to Brighton

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What do you mean ... "at these times"?

He went to Pakistan in 2001 in order to come back to Britain, because war was breaking out in the region. He wanted to get as far away from it as possible.

I have never known a guilty man without an innocent explanaton :glare:

Look I have stated that we cant possibly know whether he was in the wrong place at the wrong time ...... but there remains a big big question mark over him, and to embrace a man that you cannot possibly trace his history remains irresponsible.

To totally ignore that he may of been there as at the very least a sympathisor or at worst actively supporting Al Qaeda is devastingly naive......

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Wasn't it from the Lybian Embassy window that the woman Police Constable was shot a few years ago. And now you all rush to the defence of a Lybian living in Brighton, who, I suppose went to Afghanistan and Pakistan for a Summer holiday. You lot make me laugh, or rather cry, for Britain.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Wasn't it from the Lybian Embassy window that the woman Police Constable was shot a few years ago. And now you all rush to the defence of a Lybian living in Brighton, who, I suppose went to Afghanistan and Pakistan for a Summer holiday. You lot make me laugh, or rather cry, for Britain.
Come to think of it, wasn't it the IRA that blew up Canary Wharf a few years ago?

Right, following your logic, let's arrest Terry Wogan.

If you are looking for the guilty Libyans in all this, I suggest you seek out the people who executed Omar Deghayes' father. Or possibly the Libyan who threatened Deghayes with death during the "interview" at Guantanamo.

Look I have stated that we cant possibly know whether he was in the wrong place at the wrong time ...... but there remains a big big question mark over him, and to embrace a man that you cannot possibly trace his history remains irresponsible.

To totally ignore that he may of been there as at the very least a sympathisor or at worst actively supporting Al Qaeda is devastingly naive......
The ONLY accusation the Americans have made against Omar Deghayes is that he was the Chechen rebel who appears in a videotape.

The CERTAIN evidence is that he wasn't. That was a man called Abu Walid.

You, BigGully think that Deghayes might have been in Pakistan, "supporting Al Qaeda". No-one, not even the Americans, has suggested that.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Come to think of it, wasn't it the IRA that blew up Canary Wharf a few years ago?

Right, following your logic, let's arrest Terry Wogan.

Or indeed any of us from across the water. Although it's my mother that really needs incarceration since she insists on living back home in Ireland. Despite clearly being responsible for every IRA atrocity since 1922.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

Absolutely Spot On !!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The ONLY accusation the Americans have made against Omar Deghayes is that he was the Chechen rebel who appears in a videotape.

The CERTAIN evidence is that he wasn't. That was a man called Abu Walid.

You, BigGully think that Deghayes might have been in Pakistan, "supporting Al Qaeda". No-one, not even the Americans, has suggested that.

I think you will find that the reason he was detained in Guatanamo, suggests that the Americans do feel that he might be a supporter of Al Qaeda at least.....???

So why would he be in Pakistan, what was for him there to alert the intelligent services. Please tell me the link ?

Why are the Conservatives calling for information to confirm whether he is a perceived risk....... surely it would be prudent to find this out through our own intelligent services, but for some bizaare you wish to give this man an absolute clean bill of health and welcome him back within our midst.

Your undoubting nature would be admirable if it wasnt so bloody illogical ???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Always 2 sides to a story and what would a Libyan refugee living in Brighton be doing in Afghanistan and Pakistan ?
Not exactly a club 18-30 to Benidorm ???

Glad you said that Ern, if I said that I'd be accused of being Pro USA.

He wasn't kept as a POW, so any arguments based on that principle are null and void. He was kept as an 'illegal combatant'. If he had done something wrong, he could have been charged. He wasn't. So even those who locked him up don't think he did anything wrong. Why do people on this board think he did?

And, besides, all talk of doing anything wrong is irrelevant. This, for me, is the same as the release of, say, Alan Johnston. Guantanamo Bay is just a placed where kidnapped people are kept. The freeing of any kidnapped person is a cause for celebration.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He wasn't kept as a POW, so any arguments based on that principle are null and void. He was kept as an 'illegal combatant'. If he had done something wrong, he could have been charged. He wasn't. So even those who locked him up don't think he did anything wrong. Why do people on this board think he did?

And, besides, all talk of doing anything wrong is irrelevant. This, for me, is the same as the release of, say, Alan Johnston. Guantanamo Bay is just a placed where kidnapped people are kept. The freeing of any kidnapped person is a cause for celebration.

Dont be silly..............he is a POW in another name .............I am sure before the London atrocities you would of been saying that we do not have a problem with Islamic Fundamentalism in our Country within some of our own Muslim Communities and those that thought we did were racists.

You probably thought that Cleric Hamza had every right to spout his vile rants on the streets of London whilst the London Police cordon off the street to accommodate this.

None of us know for sure whether this Lybian was indeed a terrorist or not.

But I for one am not yet willing to denounce USA whilst welcoming this man back into our own Communities and as for celebration...........???

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis

Absolutely, what fatbadger said!

brightonbluenose

May 6, 2006
Perhaps we should all take note of this Times article.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article675998.ece

Whilst there may be many civil liberties arguments against holding this man, i dont doubt for one second that he, like his brother, is a threat to this country
and its population. Its just a tragedy that no charges could be brought.

All these handwringers on here really cant see the wood for the trees.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Whilst there may be many civil liberties arguments against holding this man, i dont doubt for one second that he, like his brother, is a threat to this country

All well and good but as Rupert Murdoch owns the Times there are those who would say this is clearly biased reporting. The bog mistake the Americans have made is that through their arrogance they have made virtually no attempt to justify their actions and I think that annoys people more than anything.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I was going to do a little bit of research on this, but I suspected that our 'newly made friend' and his family are likely at least to be a terrorist excuser if not something far worse.

Maybe just maybe some on here that offer celebration and support to this man might now say that there is at least a possibility that he aint the persecuted soul some are reasoning.

Unfortunately you get the impression that the supporters of this man seem to have a louder voice than the majority that have rightly voiced there concerns.

I can hear the shouts now how you 'cant be guilty be association'.

Maybe Lord Bracknell may wish to comment on this poor mans predicament, as he takes down his Christian decorations to make way for the bunting to celebrate the release of this man.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
All well and good but as Rupert Murdoch owns the Times there are those who would say this is clearly biased reporting. The bog mistake the Americans have made is that through their arrogance they have made virtually no attempt to justify their actions and I think that annoys people more than anything.

Whats biased about the quotes supporting the assasination of our own Prime Minister......

I was going to do a little bit of research on this, but I suspected that our 'newly made friend' and his family are likely at least to be a terrorist excuser if not something far worse.

Maybe just maybe some on here that offer celebration and support to this man might now say that there is at least a possibility that he aint the persecuted soul some are reasoning.

Unfortunately you get the impression that the supporters of this man seem to have a louder voice than the majority that have rightly voiced there concerns.

I can hear the shouts now how you 'cant be guilty be association'.

Maybe Lord Bracknell may wish to comment on this poor mans predicament, as he takes down his Christian decorations to make way for the bunting to celebrate the release of this man.
Did you miss the Argus campaign that has been going on for years? It garnered many supporters in Sussex for the release of Omar Deghayes. Now it's about to happen, I expect there'll be big celebrations locally - including celebrations from people who have been backing British military intervention throughout the period of his detention.

As for my "Christian" decorations ... they're not up yet. And they don't go up until after sunset on Christmas Eve - that, I guess, is a legacy of my Catholic upbringing.

You talk as if supporting Deghayes is somehow incompatible with celebrating Christmas. I find that extremely offensive. As it happens, I've had no problem in the past celebrating Christmas with my Muslim ex-sister in law, herself a former victim of the somewhat irrational approach to "stateless persons" in the UK.

As for the Times article ... talk about presenting things out of context.

All that Abubaker Deghayes is actually quoted as saying is that he "endorsed the views of George Galloway" and that he considers Blair to be a political target. This is immediately twisted into linking him with an opinion that a suicide bombing could be morally justified. That's not an opinion expressed by Deghayes, but by Galloway.

It's no more valid an analysis than it would be if I claimed that someone on NSC had once agreed with an opinion expressed by Steve Coppell and this justified an insinuation that NSC is riddled with Reading supporters.

The dispute between Abubaker Deghayes and my old friend, Dr Abduljalil Sajid, is rather more complicated than the "man of terror" v "man of peace" conflict that we are invited to read into the story.

And if you want the views of Abduljalil Sajid on the Omar Deghaves case, try this (from the Argus):-

Imam Abduljalil Sajid, is a leading British Muslim, Imam of the Brighton Islamic Mission and chairman of the Muslim Council for Religious and Racial Harmony UK.

He knows Omar well and has made representations to the Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary on his behalf.

He recalls: "He was so caring about people, generous, gentle and so kind - completely non-violent. He helped in all sorts of ways, teaching the children, visiting the elderly and needy.

"He visited people in prison on my behalf. Whatever good work you could think of, he was ready to do it. I can't believe that this could happen to him."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here