Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Omar Deghayes to return to Brighton

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So how many Universities did he attend...............to study Law, I assumeed one would suffice ???

No it doesn't. You do your degree than have to apply again to do your law practice course to become a solicitor.

It's the vocational training part. Just like a someone who studies History and wants to teach it, you get the qualification then have to learn how to pass it on.

More than reasonable to do it elsewhere as many universities won't offer the second part. Both being practicing lawyers, my girlfriend and her best friend studied at two Universities.

Having just had a quick search on google it appears (as is normal) he finished his degree, but hadn't finished or was possibly due to retake the vocational part at another University.

I'm not surprised, the second part isn't easy (I was with my girlfriend during all her studies) and many students will decide not to take a career in law but use it elsewhere.

There are far more many people in life with law degrees than there are solicitors.

In fact there are far more many people talking about things, than people who know what they are talking about

In fact many people study law with absolutely no intention of practising it. Gives you a good grounding in business, in fact if you are smart you'd earn your money being a director of your own company if you've studied business law.

I'm not going to comment on the rest your post as I know very little about this case.

Although I wouldn't want anybody to use it as measure for the rest of your opinions, I will quickly comment on this point however.

You are talking complete and utter 100% unadulterated bollocks :)

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He was 16 when he arrived in Britain, in 1986.

As for employment, etc, the Argus version is this:-

Omar Deghayes wasn't born in Brighton but as a child he often visited here and settled when he was 16.

He lived in Saltdean, studied and undertook voluntary work and became part of the community. He loved poetry and politics, horse-riding and football and followed Tottenham Hotspur.

Friends describe him as a charismatic man of great faith. As one of very few Arabic speakers in this area, he taught the language to local Muslim children. He loved children, treated them with respect and listened carefully to their ideas.

It is well known that highly talented and ambitious children often use play to explore the calling they wish to pursue in later life.

For example, in childhood, the Bronte sisters wrote small novels and plays to entertain themselves.

When Omar Deghayes was a child he and his siblings held mock trials. His sister Amani recalls that they were organised by Omar, who she says was "always fascinated by the law".

I asked her if Omar was just. She said he was "always fair" but insisted on due process. She laughed: "The trials took a long time."

It is hardly surprising that the Deghayes children should have been interested in the law.

In the Eighties, their trade unionist father was arrested and then executed by the Libyan regime. The bereaved family fled to the UK because they already knew it well.

They respected its traditions of fairness and democracy. It is a tragic irony that Omar, who was so enthralled by legal process, should find himself illegally imprisoned for three years by the closest ally of the country to which his family fled for protection - and that his adopted country should seem to wash its hands of him.

It is another irony that Omar, who was given safety clearance by Sussex Police to serve as a prison visitor at Lewes Prison, providing support and comfort to both Muslim and non-Muslim prisoners, should now be imprisoned himself without charge.

And another Argus story:-

Omar and his family moved to Britain from Libya in 1986 after the death of his father, Amer.

They settled in Saltdean where his mother, Zohra Zewawi, still lives.

Omar became a Tottenham Hotspur supporter and even considered trying out for Brighton and Hove Albion.

He studied for A-Levels at Davies's - now Bellerbys - College in Hove and read law at Wolverhampton University.

In 2001, he was studying for a legal practice course at Huddersfield University when he decided to travel to Afghanistan and Pakistan as a volunteer on charity projects.

While there he married and had a son, Suleiman, who he has not seen since his arrest. His family in England have been unable to contact his wife.

I'm surprised the Albion connection hasn't surfaced earlier on this thread.

Could do a job?

:)

Sounds like interviewing Miss World............. wants to save kittens and small children but the reality remains, he hasnt worked since he's been here and didnt quite finish his degree.........and as for supporting Tottenham..........he had to go to Guantanamo on that alone !!

Its like filling in blanks in your CV......ermmmmm I know voluntary work..........

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You are talking complete and utter 100% unadulterated bollocks :)[/QUOTE]

You can join in if you want and try and put some reasoning behind your opinion.

As for talking 100% unadulterating bollocks, if you girlfriend becomes a Lawyer she will need those skills ???

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
The lefties will bend over backwards to help him...just wish they would do the same for all the injured serviceman and pensioners who are just as deserving

Nail on the head again but our so called learned friends will never agree to this not controversial enough.Some of the bum licking on here is incredible i'm sure LB and friends must be on a retainer or something to keep this bollocks going get a life.DO SOMETHING WORTHWHILE

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You can join in if you want and try and put some reasoning behind your opinion.

As for talking 100% unadulterating bollocks, if you girlfriend becomes a Lawyer she will need those skills ???

Becomes ? Has been one for over 15 years.

Reasoning ?

You're suggested it's odd studying law at more than University, that's bollocks. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Becomes ? Has been one for over 15 years.

Reasoning ?

You're suggested it's odd studying law at more than University, that's bollocks. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Bollocks your favourite word..............I always thought that you did your degree and then got a placement with a Law Practice for a further 3/4 years, I didnt know that you continued studying whilst with the Law Firm.

However as it seems that Omar only did the initial part of his degree, why then during THIS time did he study at different Universities. I gather he never went on to a Law Firm or studied any other subject, I would suggest that this might be unusual and just maybe you are thre one talking bollocks M'Lud ??

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bollocks your favourite word..............I always thought that you did your degree and then got a placement with a Law Practice for a further 3/4 years, I didnt know that you continued studying whilst with the Law Firm.

However as it seems that Omar only did the initial part of his degree, why then during THIS time did he study at different Universities. I gather he never went on to a Law Firm or studied any other subject, I would suggest that this might be unusual and just maybe you are thre one talking bollocks M'Lud ??

Unless I've read this wrong, he got a law degree at one university.

Went on to study his LPC at another, but didn't finish.

What is odd about that ? I'm lost.

Absolutely nothing unusual about it at all. I dropped out of one degree, went off and did another and am now doing a masters some 15 years later.

"I gather he never went on to a Law Firm or studied any other subject," - so what ?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can I ask what this omar fella brings to this country? Have we missed out on some important contribution whilst he's been gone?
Sure. But do it on another thread, eh - since that's got f*** all to do with the debate on his liberty any more than the issue of whether Wilkins should name a substitute keeper at Swindon.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Unless I've read this wrong, he got a law degree at one university.

Went on to study his LPC at another, but didn't finish.

What is odd about that ? I'm lost.

Absolutely nothing unusual about it at all. I dropped out of one degree, went off and did another and am now doing a masters some 15 years later.

"I gather he never went on to a Law Firm or studied any other subject," - so what ?

Nope we dont know for sure that he got a Law degree.........and that was the point being made in reference to his going to Universities...........it has been said that he has completed first part of his Law degree but there is no confirmation of any further advancement of this career...... therefore it is unusual that he has said he attended multiple Unversities, however not sure that this is that relevant to this discussion, except your earlier smug reply was not quite as clever as you had invisaged ???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know I shouldnt come back on here, but I cant resist it.

Is it just me or does anyone else see the similarity between Blue Peter and BigGully?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
glad its not just me then

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I know I shouldnt come back on here, but I cant resist it.

Is it just me or does anyone else see the similarity between Blue Peter and BigGully?

Brilliant.......does that mean I win......

Thought I did.........................thanks to you all that supported me and to those that didnt I am glad I sorted it out for you.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Nope we dont know for sure that he got a Law degree.........and that was the point being made in reference to his going to Universities...........it has been said that he has completed first part of his Law degree but there is no confirmation of any further advancement of this career...... therefore it is unusual that he has said he attended multiple Unversities, however not sure that this is that relevant to this discussion, except your earlier smug reply was not quite as clever as you had invisaged ???

So we're back to something being odd about somebody studying a degree, not finishing another course and deciding not to instantly take up a career in their chosen subject...:D:D:D

You don't actually need to have a degree to start the LPC, but that's the usual route I'm sure.

In any case, starting the LPC isn't just a case of turning up. It's handled through the Law Society.

( I'm not sure why I've bothering )

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here