Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Omar Deghayes to return to Brighton

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You want me to feel shame in reacting appropriately to your bigoted stance - one which has him condemned on little or no evidence because 'he's Libyan, he's a refugee, he's a devout Muslim, he went to Pakistan' - none of which, singularly or collectively gives any indication that he promotes or glorifies mass murder? Right-o.

You offer no evidence that states he is a terrorist, has been involved in any aspect of terrorism or has terrorist sympathies - none. You merely state circumstancial evidence - quoted to fit a 'profile' of what constitutes a terrorist.

You're not even right to say he was picked up by the intelligence services, and that's the ONLY thing you can quote to makes you suspicious of him - unless you really are basing guilt on the 'he's Libyan...' etc stuff. I am assuming that it has crossed your mind that maybe - just maybe - the Americans got this one wrong?

Why you feel it is bigoted ( thank you for dropping the 'white' bit by the way !! ) to have a genuine opinion that I am not convinced by you having him deemed totally innocent although you have no evidence other than your own 'is it bigoted' view to the contrary.

If we are to have a serious discussion on security and the threat of Terrorism and on Omars likely release and any perceived injustice, then it is only fair to discuss some of his profiling and actions.

Even scratching the surface since this thread started some days ago it has become clear to me and others that there might be an increased likelihood of an attachment to some level of Islamic Extreminism than was first mentioned.

Now because of this I am NOT willing to join any celebration party on his release, as I feel that the violence such views preach is extremely abhorrent.

Now it might be that he has been the victim of an injustice, but today neither one of us can say for sure.

then t is relevant when looking for Islamic Terrorists that the individual has certain profiling and I say again I am as yet not

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you have made it evident that you will not be joining in the celebrations. Fair enough. Nor will I. I don't know the guy. Yes, I know what you mean.

What 'actions' do you refer to that increase his 'profile' to make him a more likely terrorist suspect? Visiting Pakistan? Not good enough.

His possible exposure to Islamic Extremism is no more likely to make him a terrorist than, say, exposure to the BNP or any other version of political extremism is going to make you or I want to 'kill a Paki' or 'do a spade'. Like all of us, he is capable of free-thought.

Yes, it's possible that he believe in this extremism you talk about - but where's the evidence? The US, in releasing him, must have seemingly not found any (an asumption I know, but a fairly safe one).

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I think the American's treatment of this man and others at Guantanamo is outrageous. Charge them or release them.

But can someone (maybe Lord Bracknell?) answer this question. Omar trained as a solicitor in the British legal system with the intention of becoming a Human Rights lawyer. He then went to Malaysia, Afghanistan and Pakistan to "look for work".

The two things seem contradictory. Surely, having invested years in training to be a lawyer here, the place to look for work would have been here? You can see why many people are extremely sceptical about his intentions.

But can someone (maybe Lord Bracknell?) answer this question. Omar trained as a solicitor in the British legal system with the intention of becoming a Human Rights lawyer. He then went to Malaysia, Afghanistan and Pakistan to "look for work".

I'm not aware of any suggestion that the travel was in connection with finding work as a human rights lawyer. But I'm willing to be persuaded that it was, if you can point me to a source for this story.

... unless you are running these two paragraphs from the Amnesty International paper together (which isn't how I read them):-

Omar Deghayes and his family managed to flee persecution in Libya and were eventually granted political asylum in the UK. Omar Deghayes grew up in Brighton and studied law in British universities. A devout Muslim, Omar Deghayes visited prisoners to offer them support. Omar Deghayes’ ambition was to be a human rights lawyer.

In 2001, Omar Deghayes decided to travel with a friend and look for work. He went to Malaysia, Pakistan and eventually Afghanistan, where he married and had a son.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
... unless you are running these two paragraphs from the Amnesty International paper together (which isn't how I read them):-

Here we go guys....Mr Cynic here........

I will bet you that he may of started a Law degree.......but I will bet you £1.00 that our friend Omar........

a) did not finish the degree

b) if he did he then forgot to get a legal placement

c) has not had any gainful employment since coming to our Country

d) trust me a,b and c is the likely answer

Vote now.........not by fone the lines may have already been closed...!!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Ambition....................

My ambition was to play for Brighton & Hove Albion Fc....

However......................ermmmmmmmmmmmmm

I was actually particularly crap......!!!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
'Omar Deghayes and his family managed to flee persecution in Libya and were eventually granted political asylum in the UK. Omar Deghayes grew up in Brighton and studied law in British universities. A devout Muslim, Omar Deghayes visited prisoners to offer them support. Omar Deghayes’ ambition was to be a human rights lawyer.'

So how many Universities did he attend...............to study Law, I assumeed one would suffice ???

I guess that his ambition might be slightly different to the reality, so why do his supporters bang on about his background in Law, no wonder us sceptics are confused !!!

I've done some searching ...

This is from Arab News, 7 March 2007:-

Deghayes was a Brighton resident who went to Afghanistan hoping to export dry fruit to wholesalers in the United Kingdom. By the time the Americans began to bomb the country, Deghayes had settled in, and married an Afghani girl. When the situation worsened, he tried to flee across the border to Pakistan to get a British visa for his bride. He was captured in Lahore, taken back to Afghanistan, held at Bagram airbase, and labeled an “Enemy Combatant.”

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Brilliant sketch on Radio 4 tonight. A comedian was quoting all these announcements where people say "in these times of maximum security..." as if there will be a time when the announcers say "you know what...I think they've all gone home now so it's nice and safe. So, if you see any suspicious packages...give it a shake. Go on, have some fun."

Dunno what that adds to the debate but I thought it funny.

Also the bit about all they seem to do is freeze the assets of these terrorists.

Oy, Abdul..you coming bombing?

Nah...can't. I'm skint.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Deghayes was a Brighton resident who went to Afghanistan hoping to export dry fruit to wholesalers in the United Kingdom. By the time the Americans began to bomb the country, Deghayes had settled in, and married an Afghani girl. When the situation worsened, he tried to flee across the border to Pakistan to get a British visa for his bride. He was captured in Lahore, taken back to Afghanistan, held at Bagram airbase, and labeled an “Enemy Combatant.”

I liked that bit in the article..."hoping to export dry fruit to wholesalers in the UK"............
I thought he originally went to Afghanistan to "look for work"...? Obviously didn,t have much of a business plan then.
The more I follow this thread, the less inclined I am to believe anything Omar says, or is said on his behalf by that well known and unbiased body, known as Amnesty International.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I too have done some searching......it was a couple of days ago and information regarding Omar was posted by a group called Western Resistance that implicated Omar as a Terrorist ... now I have never heard of this group but I decided not to use this as support for my suspisions as I was not sure whether they themselves might be seen as an extreme group and might undermine my own arguments......

But I have changed my mind so here is the link

http://www.westernresistance.com/blog/archives/002372.html

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The lefties will bend over backwards to help him...just wish they would do the same for all the injured serviceman and pensioners who are just as deserving

The curious feature of the Abubaker Deghayes story is that his rift with Imam Abduljalil Sajid occurred in 1996/97. It appears to have got very nasty.

Yet, as late as August this year, Imam Sajid was describing Omar Deghayes in these terms:-"I can confirm he is a person who has nothing to do with any radicalisation, violence or abnormality. He was an ordinary, simple student - a young man." (The Argus, 8 August 2007)

Imam Sajid can clearly distinguish between the two brothers.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The lefties will bend over backwards to help him...just wish they would do the same for all the injured serviceman and pensioners who are just as deserving

Eh? Compassion, liberties and freedom isn't something that's rationed. It's not a choice between buying a poppy and popping a quid in the Free Omar campaign. Why can't I support both?

...and I'm very much NOT a leftie. :thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The curious feature of the Abubaker Deghayes story is that his rift with Imam Abduljalil Sajid occurred in 1996/97. It appears to have got very nasty.

Yet, as late as August this year, Imam Sajid was describing Omar Deghayes in these terms:-"I can confirm he is a person who has nothing to do with any radicalisation, violence or abnormality. He was an ordinary, simple student - a young man." (The Argus, 8 August 2007)

Can I ask what this omar fella brings to this country? Have we missed out on some important contribution whilst he's been gone?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

You now asking me to accept Imam Sajid's impartiality.................. he is at least a colleague................... not convinced especially as was it him that was threatened with violence when he was ousted by Omars Brother...............nah not convincing I am afraid.

Havent heard Omar yet denouncing his Brothers view either ....... !!!

LB could you confirm what age he came to this Country and whether you know of any employment record.........after, during or before his degree course ?

LB could you confirm what age he came to this Country and whether you know of any employment record.........after, during or before his degree course ?
He was 16 when he arrived in Britain, in 1986.

As for employment, etc, the Argus version is this:-

Omar Deghayes wasn't born in Brighton but as a child he often visited here and settled when he was 16.

He lived in Saltdean, studied and undertook voluntary work and became part of the community. He loved poetry and politics, horse-riding and football and followed Tottenham Hotspur.

Friends describe him as a charismatic man of great faith. As one of very few Arabic speakers in this area, he taught the language to local Muslim children. He loved children, treated them with respect and listened carefully to their ideas.

It is well known that highly talented and ambitious children often use play to explore the calling they wish to pursue in later life.

For example, in childhood, the Bronte sisters wrote small novels and plays to entertain themselves.

When Omar Deghayes was a child he and his siblings held mock trials. His sister Amani recalls that they were organised by Omar, who she says was "always fascinated by the law".

I asked her if Omar was just. She said he was "always fair" but insisted on due process. She laughed: "The trials took a long time."

It is hardly surprising that the Deghayes children should have been interested in the law.

In the Eighties, their trade unionist father was arrested and then executed by the Libyan regime. The bereaved family fled to the UK because they already knew it well.

They respected its traditions of fairness and democracy. It is a tragic irony that Omar, who was so enthralled by legal process, should find himself illegally imprisoned for three years by the closest ally of the country to which his family fled for protection - and that his adopted country should seem to wash its hands of him.

It is another irony that Omar, who was given safety clearance by Sussex Police to serve as a prison visitor at Lewes Prison, providing support and comfort to both Muslim and non-Muslim prisoners, should now be imprisoned himself without charge.

And another Argus story:-

Omar and his family moved to Britain from Libya in 1986 after the death of his father, Amer.

They settled in Saltdean where his mother, Zohra Zewawi, still lives.

Omar became a Tottenham Hotspur supporter and even considered trying out for Brighton and Hove Albion.

He studied for A-Levels at Davies's - now Bellerbys - College in Hove and read law at Wolverhampton University.

In 2001, he was studying for a legal practice course at Huddersfield University when he decided to travel to Afghanistan and Pakistan as a volunteer on charity projects.

While there he married and had a son, Suleiman, who he has not seen since his arrest. His family in England have been unable to contact his wife.

I'm surprised the Albion connection hasn't surfaced earlier on this thread.

Could do a job?

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here