Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear police force..... Not good

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
London Blue I am not trying to catch anyone 'out', all I am trying to portray to anyone who may care to read this is that you have to have rehabilitaion balanced with punishment and that needs discussion (after the hefty sentance)

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Hi Rivet,Badfish has gone on about this feral youth getting a beating as if it's the biggest crime of the century,if the youth had not been out there looting then he would not be in trouble,at no time has he shown any concern for the victims. As you rightly say,"And as far as I'm concerned,if it's backed by those voted in by the electorate,this is the law of the land." Is not rioting,looting,arson,killing, breaking the law of the land?

I think you have missed the point of Rivet's post. If I understand correctly, he's saying that people who were in favour of the slave trade justified their actions by saying that the majority of society agreed with them. Despite being backed by the majority of society, that doesn't necessarily make it 'right'.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Hi seagull, believe me I have no problem with the kid getting a beating, we should also give him a stiff sentance but, we should also look at reasons and causes, if we dont we repeat the mistakes of the past!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
London Blue I am not trying to catch anyone 'out', all I am trying to portray to anyone who may care to read this is that you have to have rehabilitaion balanced with punishment and that needs discussion (after the hefty sentance)

The vast majority of kids are law abiding citizens, doing their education, jobs, whatever. Many of those live in deprived inner city areas. Race, colour and creed is irrelevant. These kids are good and they respect this country, they are brought up to respect people, taught by their parents. They are now being polarised by the minority of total and utter thugs that are smearing them as a generation. This has nothing to do with deprivation or hard living and everything to do with lawlessness. These thugs that are breaking down society need to learn one thing... respect what they have, and if they don't, hit them hard.

Before anyone reminds me it wasn't just kids, I do realise that. But the evidence points towards most of them being kids.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
London Blue I am sorry but, I have this vision of you outside of sing sing usa with a plcard reading 'frying tonight', bollocks to the past, bollocks to the future, bollocks to the cost, bollocks to society as an entity, give me usa rights to carry arms! Am I wrong?!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
London Blue I am sorry but, I have this vision of you outside of sing sing usa with a plcard reading 'frying tonight', bollocks to the past, bollocks to the future, bollocks to the cost, bollocks to society as an entity, give me usa rights to carry arms! Am I wrong?!

I'm British not American, I'm losing your thread of thought.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No problem, the thought processes are not unsimiliar!

And your attempt of belittling is actually quite plain to see.

Now try and talk about the subject and not the American slavery situation of over a century ago and I may just find you worth replying to again.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sorry that was an ambiguous post, what I really meant is that yes we need strong sentances and punishment, yes we need strong police but no to public opinion being polarised to punishment without further discussion.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
And your attempt of belittling is actually quite plain to see.

Now try and talk about the subject and not the American slavery situation of over a century ago and I may just find you worth replying to again.

For what it's worth, I'm with Rivet on this.

Do we really want to live in a country where the police are allowed to dish out punishment as they see fit, without recourse to further legal process?

I'm not sure most people would agree with this anyway, but even if they did historical examples like the one Rivet used suggest that public opinion is not always right.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

You compare Sing Sing (and as an historian you will know about the old water tortures which took place there) and the outdated American right to bear arms with a British bobby hitting a suspect three times with his truncheon?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For what it's worth, I'm with Rivet on this.

Do we really want to live in a country where the police are allowed to dish out punishment as they see fit, without recourse to further legal process?

I'm not sure most people would agree with this anyway, but even if they did historical examples like the one Rivet used suggest that public opinion is not always right.

In the past 20 years ANYTHING the cops do is scrutinised with a fine toothed comb. If you read my post above I said, and I get tired of repeating myself because posts get cherry picked, they should not be heavy handed 24/7 and 365 days, I said they should be heavy handed in exceptions where violence is erupting. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that and we seem to be the only country where the police stand by and watch looters run off with their booty. If you can't see that we need to hit them heavy in the act then i am wasting my time here.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
You compare Sing Sing (and as an historian you will know about the old water tortures which took place there) and the outdated American right to bear arms with a British bobby hitting a suspect three times with his truncheon?

No I dont compare it at all, dont really understand where you get that inference!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
In the past 20 years ANYTHING the cops do is scrutinised with a fine toothed comb. If you read my post above I said, and I get tired of repeating myself because posts get cherry picked, they should not be heavy handed 24/7 and 365 days, I said they should be heavy handed in exceptions where violence is erupting. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that and we seem to be the only country where the police stand by and watch looters run off with their booty. If you can't see that we need to hit them heavy in the act then i am wasting my time here.

You are not wasting your time at all!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

I understand your position.

I think the key thing is that there is a difference between police being given permission to use a certain amount of force (e.g. baton charges) and an individual copper deciding to take his own action to punish someone.

In the first case, the authorities have decided to grant the police specific temporary powers to deal with a situation.

In the second case, an individual has chosen to act as judge, jury and executioner and has acted outside the law.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here