Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks Herr, that makes sense.

A pleasure. Not done NYC before, I've got a place for this year but might defer. Two races in a year is unfair on my body, and my wife.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well, two weeks on from Brighton, and I think my blisters- the ones on the soles of my feet anyway- have recovered sufficiently for me to attempt a cheeky run tomorrow morning. The running shoes have hitherto been festering in a cupboard since the big day.

Toe news: the little toenail did, as predicted fall off, and the infection seems to have cleared up now the nail is out the way. Plus it's barely noticeable. A while after that happened, I noticed my big toe on the same foot was still sore and the nail raised, like someone had stood on it, then eventually I discovered a rather large blister was lurking under that one too. Having popped it by making a hole (sorry, not nice) and releasing the pressure, I seem to have stopped any further infection by means of dunking it in warm salt water regularly. The nail is definitely loose, but it's still attached on one side, so by means of taping it down, I'm hoping to stop it falling off, as a summer with a missing big toenail is not conducive to the wearing of flip flops, and I reckon it would take bloody MONTHS to grow back.

Just wanted to share that :lol:

Oh, and I'm going to try and enter London for 2012 on Tuesday, I know the chances of getting in via the ballot are fairly slim, but figured I might as well have a go. I think the bug has bitten. And if not, I'll do Brighton again, or maybe Berlin :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, two weeks on from Brighton, and I think my blisters- the ones on the soles of my feet anyway- have recovered sufficiently for me to attempt a cheeky run tomorrow morning. The running shoes have hitherto been festering in a cupboard since the big day.

Toe news: the little toenail did, as predicted fall off, and the infection seems to have cleared up now the nail is out the way. Plus it's barely noticeable. A while after that happened, I noticed my big toe on the same foot was still sore and the nail raised, like someone had stood on it, then eventually I discovered a rather large blister was lurking under that one too. Having popped it by making a hole (sorry, not nice) and releasing the pressure, I seem to have stopped any further infection by means of dunking it in warm salt water regularly. The nail is definitely loose, but it's still attached on one side, so by means of taping it down, I'm hoping to stop it falling off, as a summer with a missing big toenail is not conducive to the wearing of flip flops, and I reckon it would take bloody MONTHS to grow back.

Just wanted to share that :lol:

Oh, and I'm going to try and enter London for 2012 on Tuesday, I know the chances of getting in via the ballot are fairly slim, but figured I might as well have a go. I think the bug has bitten. And if not, I'll do Brighton again, or maybe Berlin :)

Glad to hear the bug has bitten. London is a nightmare to get in to unless your have a charity place. Even though it is one of the 'Majors' Berlin is much much easier. It's also a fast, flat and wide course often in favourable weather conditions so good for a PB. It has army field showers and ample massage facilities at the end.

On the toe-nail front all you can really do is make sure your running shoes are over-sized enough and keep your nails cut.....and hope for the best. Your case does seem extreme though.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have recovered sufficiently to re-visit this thread. Well done Herr T. A fantastic time. And I hope ou had a fantastic time as well. I am mulling over applying for Brighton for next year again. This time it is personal ...........

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Good to hear your blisters are sorted and not infected, Edna. Good luck with getting into London - it's definitely worth doing if you've never done it before. I was lucky enough to get in by the ballot on my third attempt, so you may not have to go via the charity route.

Brighton's bloody expensive now, though, isn't it? I'm sure I only paid £22 to enter in its first year with a BN1 discount!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Is anyone doing Three Forts on Sunday?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Is anyone doing Three Forts on Sunday?

Did you do it, if so how did it go?

Just returned from the NDVM, great race, 4.09. Wanted to get under 4 hrs however going out on the lash all day Friday was never going to be great preparation.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
North Dorset? How was that?

Three Forts was tough, suffered with my stomach for a few miles, finaly got going again, and finished just over 6 hours (5.24 last year)

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Well done Bob,

North Dorset was good, small village feel to the race but with clockwork organisation. Personal drinks stations at two points round the course. Bit hilly, nothing compared to TF's though I would suspect. One to do again for me.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Heroes Run

Have done this event last three years, its a good race, flat quick, and a great laugh if you like fancy dress.

Superman once again for me.

Any other of NSC's finest runners doing this?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Doing my first ever race next Sunday in the form of a cheeky half marathon. Twice around Lake Sai. Have been training fairly methodically and am feeling pretty good ahead of it. Going to taper some over the last nine days as my legs have been a bit tired of late.

Should be a giggle. Will do my best. :)

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Doing South Downs Marathon tomorrow. Slindon to Petersfield

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing planned at the moment but I'm just off to do a cheeky 8 miler before the weekend begins.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I ran the fairly hilly Dorking 10 on Sunday in a piss poor 1:19.

That is the last time I run an hour after cooking a full English for the family, after four hours sleep with a hangover after an evening at a wedding. :(

Ran 10k on a treadmill today in 40:50. Still plenty of room for improvement - realistically I should be able to shave off about 2 minutes off that time in the next 2 or 3 months.

Yoda

English & European
Did anyone do the Worthing 10k Wednesday evening? Would like any feedback (minus the weather/wind as that couldn't be helped) as it was a new route and I helped organize it.

C Man Staines

Feb 21, 2009
Did anyone do the Worthing 10k Wednesday evening? Would like any feedback (minus the weather/wind as that couldn't be helped) as it was a new route and I helped organize it.

I did it for the first time. If it wasn't for that wind for the second half of the race I would have enjoyed it much more (despite not training for it!), and I could have finished a good five minutes quicker.

It was nice & flat and there was plenty of space for the 620 runnners. I will certainly be happy to do it again next year, you just need to take a water bottle with you as trying to drink out of a cup in that wind was a bit of a challenge!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Yoda, was slightly disappointed when I heard it was going to be a new route as I liked the old one but in reality its been improved, really liked it. :thumbsup:

It was bloomin windy though....

reigate

Nov 10, 2005

Ran it for 1st time, happy with route and well organised. Not sure if it was cos I only registered on day but wasn't given any info about the diposable chips so didn't know what to do at finish.

Any idea what effect the wind had on times? I manged a PB but 2nd half took 5 mins longer than 1st...

Yoda

English & European
Ran it for 1st time, happy with route and well organised. Not sure if it was cos I only registered on day but wasn't given any info about the diposable chips so didn't know what to do at finish.

Any idea what effect the wind had on times? I manged a PB but 2nd half took 5 mins longer than 1st...

:blush: I was the guy in the tent taking entries on the day. It was our first time using those type of chips as well, so cheers for that.

The winner was about a minute slower than his best 10k time, but he took the first half easy as he wasn't first at the turn point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here