Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Brighton win, winning horse in the national and a PB marathon time (although I didn't beat the 4hrs I was aiming for). I think that is a good weekend !

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
3:53 for me which I'm happy with

Jeez, it was hot. I couldn't get any water down my neck in the last 4 miles miles as I was feeling sick. I projectile vomited a load of powerade all over the bathroom when I got home.

Brilliant support out on the course

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Well done to all who ran Brighton, how are we all feeling now?

I ran a 20 miler earlier getting ready for my marathon on 1st may, hope the weather is not as hot as for you Brighton marathon runners.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Managed 4:33 at Brighton on Sunday. I'm pretty pleased as it's my first marathon. Possibly could have shaved 10-15 mins off if the conditions had been a little different. Basin Road was tough, with little or no shade to be had, it was bleak, hot and bright. People seemed to be dropping like flies up there (possibly an exaggeration, I was a little bit whacked out on gels and powerade), with at least a couple of runners getting blue-lighted out. I thought I saw someone in the stripes in a bit of bother up towards the power station, could it have been the CPFC REMF chap? Looked like he was getting treatment form the St Johns guys ...

The crowds around the route were brilliant as was the organisation. Thanks Herr Tubthumper for your words of encouragement in Hove, I was starting to flag a bit ...

Good luck to all of those doing London on Sunday and to HT in Boston ...

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
Managed 4:33 at Brighton on Sunday. I'm pretty pleased as it's my first marathon. Possibly could have shaved 10-15 mins off if the conditions had been a little different. Basin Road was tough, with little or no shade to be had, it was bleak, hot and bright. People seemed to be dropping like flies up there (possibly an exaggeration, I was a little bit whacked out on gels and powerade), with at least a couple of runners getting blue-lighted out. I thought I saw someone in the stripes in a bit of bother up towards the power station, could it have been the CPFC REMF chap? Looked like he was getting treatment form the St Johns guys ...

The crowds around the route were brilliant as was the organisation. Thanks Herr Tubthumper for your words of encouragement in Hove, I was starting to flag a bit ...

Good luck to all of those doing London on Sunday and to HT in Boston ...

I managed 4 hours 53 mins and although i found 2nd half much tougher having done 1st half in 2 hours 5 mins it was not me requiring treatment. Haven't entered for next years either yet but we will see.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Right, some more advice needed!

After the marathon last week I had some cracking blisters and have been limping around all week, happily most of these have now dried out and are more or less OK. Once they'd stopped hurting, however, I noticed that the nail on my left little toe was really painful, raised up and, not to put too fine a point on it, oozing yellow goo out underneath. It's been excruciatingly painful to wear a shoe on that foot as well.

From what it looks like now, I assume the toenail is going to fall off- a couple of people have said to try and remove it myself but I'm not brave enough for that. So, expert runners of NSC, I want to know from your experience:

-will the infected bit clear up of its own accord once the nail drops off or am I going to have to get something to treat it with?

-how long does it take a complete toenail to grow back?

-how do I avoid this if I want to keep the running up (obviously I'll wait until the nail is healed before going out again)? My running shoes are already a size bigger than my normal ones, so I don't know what else to do.

SAKE, I expected a few blisters and sore legs, but I didn't bank on losing bits of my feet :facepalm:

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Edna - I had something similar happen to my toes on the MDS. Blisters formed underneath my toenails, pushing the nail away from the root and filled with pus. I was worried about the size of my toes, so I sought medical treatment and glad I did as they were concerned that the cloudiness of the blister meant it may be infected. Basically, to clear the possible infection the blisters we lanced and all the fluid drained (which involved him pressed hard onto my toe to squeeze as much out as possible). He then injected iodine into the wound as an antiseptic and I was also put on antibiotics to combat the possible infection. My feet are quite an extreme case as this was in the desert, but I think the same applies - you definitely need to ensure all the fluid is drained from your blister otherwise it will become infected. I'd suggest you see a doctor or practice nurse as soon as possible.

I'd post some pics so you could tell me if you have the same issue, but no-one wants to see that, I'm sure, but this gives you an idea of the problem...
img_1022.jpg

My toenails haven't fallen off yet, but I'm going to lose around five. In terms of how long it takes to grow back, my big toenail took six months to grow back and it still looked pretty deformed.

To avoid it happening in the future, I reckon it's a case of finding a pair of shoes with a bigger toe box - the blister under the toes were caused by friction between the toes and the top of my shoe despite me wearing a pair of shoes a size and a half bigger. Get rid of the friction and the problem will disappear.

Hope this helps.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Edna,

I feel quite inferior giving info/advice after Josky :)bowdown:) but here goes.

Having lost two nails now, mine took between 3 - 4 months to regrow. I also took advice on getting bigger shoes and have had no problem's since so would recommend a search for bigger shoes for your toes.

Cant help with the goo issue but it does sound like an infection which should be dealt with asap by either doctor visit and likely antibiotics or hot salt water bathing, of said toe.

stay running!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Holy crap Josky, I feel like a bit of a tart complaining about one little toe compared to your effort!

It doesn't feel quite so painful today but then I've not worn any shoes all day. The nail is kind of moving about like it's loose if I press on it, but I'm not going to pull it off, I'll wait to see if it goes of its own accord. I guess there is some degree of infection in there because of the stuff that oozes out from underneath. I've got about three other nails that are a bit raised and purple underneath, but they're nowhere near as painful (or icky) as the little one, so I'm hoping they will be ok.

Annoying really, as I want to go out for a run again. But no way will I get the trainers on again without wincing. Dammit!!

Thanks for the advice anyway. The salt water thing might be worth a go I reckon.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
PS I still can't understand how you can get blisters UNDER toenails!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I must be mad. Signed up for next year today after vowing never again. Managed 04:32:32 which was about 23 minutes faster than 2010. Hoping for a similar improvement next time.

And, oh my days, those toe stories are horrendous. My middle toe on my right foot is a bit purple and tender but I've been too scared to have a closer look. *wimp*

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Edna, if you go to see a practice nurse they'll do all the nasty business and probably cut the toenail off for you as well - better to have it off and healing asap I reckon.

I think the rule is with blisters - If it's clear just lance it (using a sterile needle or scalpel blade), drain the fluid, clean it and air it and it should be fine. If it's a bit cloudy have it looked at. If it's bloody, definitely have it looked at and don't drain it.

If you want to go out for a run, just take an Anadin Extra, shoehorn your feet into your trainers and ignore the pain for the first mile or so. Eventually, your toes will go numb and you can run in relative comfort. It may be a bit icky when you come to take the shoes off, though...

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
I can't find the post about the albion running vests, but did someone say that the club were looking to release one?

I saw a few pics of people wearing these on the Brighton marathon, so no reason why they shouldn't be available when they launch the new products with the new crest on it? Would there be many takers?
jWv7qtiUQlNnJwr6GiI8Z84Qr66RHcr.jpg

UPY8BhHCNyiyKDP9YqPN6Wrmxp5jZ6k.jpg

Quite like the yellow,maybe it'll match our away/third choice kit!
Fq18JaOfWCWcuBkC12Z1qeQkk6V3ru7.jpg

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Think it would be great if we could have albion running vests, more for the summer, happy to wear the footie shirt when cold.

Ran a cheeky 16 last Thursday and now in full taper before NDVmarathon next Sunday.

Hope all who ran Brighton/London have recovered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back from Boston. I managed 3:21:03. The chap who won the race did it in a record time of 2:03:02. Whilst the course is on the Majors circuit it is not sanctioned for timing due to it's net drop in elevation and the fact the start is 25 miles from the end, so Mr Mutai does not have an official world record. But I think we'll hear from him again sometime.

Interesting course in that you are taken in a fleet of hundreds of school buses from Boston Common to a little town called Hopkinton some 26 miles outside of the city......and run in a straight line back home. The Newton Hills at 20 miles are a killer. The last one is named Heartbreak Hill. My friends were waiting by a "Welcome to Brighton, Boston" sign just over the brow of this hill.

Next stop NYC.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Back from Boston. I managed 3:21:03. The chap who won the race did it in a record time of 2:03:02. Whilst the course is on the Majors circuit it is not sanctioned for timing due to it's net drop in elevation and the fact the start is 25 miles from the end, so Mr Mutai does not have an official world record. But I think we'll hear from him again sometime.

Interesting course in that you are taken in a fleet of hundreds of school buses from Boston Common to a little town called Hopkinton some 26 miles outside of the city......and run in a straight line back home. The Newton Hills at 20 miles are a killer. The last one is named Heartbreak Hill. My friends were waiting by a "Welcome to Brighton, Boston" sign just over the brow of this hill.

Next stop NYC.

:bowdown:

Great time Herr T, congrats.

Didnt understand the reason it is not officially recognised? If the start is only 25 miles from the finish does this make it a marathon? Am I being slightly dumb.

Anyway have you done NYC marathon before?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:bowdown:

Great time Herr T, congrats.

Didnt understand the reason it is not officially recognised? If the start is only 25 miles from the finish does this make it a marathon? Am I being slightly dumb.

Anyway have you done NYC marathon before?

The race is the full 26.2 miles long. The start and finish are 25 miles apart, as the crow flies. The criteria for officially recognised courses is that the start and finish have to be within 13.1 miles of each other as the crow flies. I understand that this is in place to ensure the course is not a straight-ish line (which Boston is) and any wind assistance will even itself out over the race. The net elevation drop also exceeds the set criteria.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The race is the full 26.2 miles long. The start and finish are 25 miles apart, as the crow flies. The criteria for officially recognised courses is that the start and finish have to be within 13.1 miles of each other as the crow flies. I understand that this is in place to ensure the course is not a straight-ish line (which Boston is) and any wind assistance will even itself out over the race. The net elevation drop also exceeds the set criteria.

Thanks Herr, that makes sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here