Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Good luck everyone running this weekend (including me!). If you're not running please come and cheer us all on it really does give us a boost. I'm running in a Help For Heroes vest number 9490

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Travelling up tomorrow. Withdean Saturday. Marathon Sunday. Back home Monday.

Hopefully, I'll fit in seeing my kids and a few friends as well.

Really looking forward to this weekend.

:clap2:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm doing my last short run tonight before getting stuck into some pasta and other carb filled foods.
It's looking like it could be a bit cooler and overcast on Sunday, ideal conditions IMO although I am getting this off the BBC site so it will probably be sunny and 25 degrees.
I can't wait now, the hard preparation is over I just want to get to the start line!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I've been really struggling with knee pain for the last couple of weeks following a 20 mile run. Been to physio and now relying on anti inflammatories to get me through. I'm not very hopeful of finishing which after months of training is so frustrating.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm fit and ready but brickng it. This will be my first and probably last marathon but it all feels a bit daunting. I'm just fussing about what to wear/eat/drink on the day now. God knows what I'll be like ahead of the start.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
You'll finish ! I hobbled,jalked,ran the last 9 miles of london last year -crap time but with 2K of sponsorship behind me I had to finish.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
would it be frowned upon to wear brighton shirt, i plan to wear the skint shirt (2 years old now i think) but i hear horror storys about chafing nipples and poor ventialtion, cant be that bad shirley?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I've been really struggling with knee pain for the last couple of weeks following a 20 mile run. Been to physio and now relying on anti inflammatories to get me through. I'm not very hopeful of finishing which after months of training is so frustrating.

Join the club!! IT band by any chance?

Have decided to ditch it, get the knee sorted and gear up for Abingdon in October, then try for Brighton next April.

In my view crazy trying to run injured, and I'm the sort that if I'm not in PB mode its a waste of time (appreciating that if a lot of charity money riding on it, then that's different).

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Join the club!! IT band by any chance?

Have decided to ditch it, get the knee sorted and gear up for Abingdon in October, then try for Brighton next April.

In my view crazy trying to run injured, and I'm the sort that if I'm not in PB mode its a waste of time (appreciating that if a lot of charity money riding on it, then that's different).

Yep. IT band. I have had loads of sponsorship and was planning on this being my first and last Marathon
I think I'll just give it a go and hope the stretching and pills work.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Yep. IT band. I have had loads of sponsorship and was planning on this being my first and last Marathon
I think I'll just give it a go and hope the stretching and pills work.

In your position I would do the same!!

Really modest pace from the off, perhaps with walking intermittently, will hopefully see you round.

Best of luck with it and keep popping the grunt candy en route:

"Grunt Candy is a slang term originating in the United States Marine Corps, whose enlisted soldiers are often known as grunts. Normally, it refers to 800mg Ibuprofen (Motrin), a prescription strength painkiller, fever reducer and anti-inflammatory in the class known as NSAIDS. It is extremely effective in reducing inflammation and relieving pain from strains and soft tissue injuries and muscle soreness common in military life. Military dispensaries are well known for giving out this drug as a treatment for almost any ailment in much the same way that they gave out APC's in the 1960's and 1970's. Its given out so commonly service men and women joke that it can re-grow severed limbs and knit broken bones. Soldiers and sailors often know it as Vitamin-M and Airmen know it as "The Air Force Wonder Drug"".

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
In your position I would do the same!!

Really modest pace from the off, perhaps with walking intermittently, will hopefully see you round.

Best of luck with it and keep popping the grunt candy en route:

"Grunt Candy is a slang term originating in the United States Marine Corps, whose enlisted soldiers are often known as grunts. Normally, it refers to 800mg Ibuprofen (Motrin), a prescription strength painkiller, fever reducer and anti-inflammatory in the class known as NSAIDS. It is extremely effective in reducing inflammation and relieving pain from strains and soft tissue injuries and muscle soreness common in military life. Military dispensaries are well known for giving out this drug as a treatment for almost any ailment in much the same way that they gave out APC's in the 1960's and 1970's. Its given out so commonly service men and women joke that it can re-grow severed limbs and knit broken bones. Soldiers and sailors often know it as Vitamin-M and Airmen know it as "The Air Force Wonder Drug"".

Thanks for that! Just had a look and the ones I have are 200mg so I will have to hunt around for something stronger!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
would it be frowned upon to wear brighton shirt, i plan to wear the skint shirt (2 years old now i think) but i hear horror storys about chafing nipples and poor ventialtion, cant be that bad shirley?

I did see a few people with Albion shirts on last year, so no it wont be frowned on. I mean you'll also see people running as toilets, and of course the good old Mr Testicle, probably.

Thing is, have you done any training runs in your top? That would be the clincher for me as you don't want to run the race is stuff you've never tried before.

Other than that, do something with your nipples, plaster, Vaseline or invest in a tube of Lanacane anti chaffing gel.

My nips get chaffed, even in a regular running top

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks for that! Just had a look and the ones I have are 200mg so I will have to hunt around for something stronger!

4 of yours would be the same! However, wouldnt go mad on them just in case you OD (I couldnt handle the guilt of having mentioned grunt candy!)!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
As added motivation just sent this to a mate who is doing it on Sunday (the extract is nicked from a poster on the Marathon Des Sables sticky, but thought it worthy of putting on here as well bearing in mind the Saharan weather due on Sunday):

"Just think on this, when you are into the final hard yards in the beating sun on Sunday. An extract from an account of the Marathon Des Sables:

The course covers 151 miles - or five and a half marathons - with the longest stage covering a staggering 50 miles through the wilderness. As if that weren't tough enough, competitors have to carry their own food and medical supplies, although there are water tents along the way.

If that sounds like a recipe for disaster to you, you'd be right: in 1994, Italian policeman Mauro Prosperi got lost in a sandstorm, inadvertently ran into Algeria, and survived by drinking his own urine and eating bats and snakes he found in an abandoned mosque.

He tried to kill himself but his blood had thickened so much from a lack of water that his cut wrists healed too quickly to let him die. Luckily, he was found by Bedouins and lived both to tell the tale and to run the race three more times - completing it safely on each occasion.”

The winner does it generally in sub 20 hours all in. Cracknell (the twat) was 12th in 25.5 hours last year apparently."

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm fit and ready but brickng it. This will be my first and probably last marathon but it all feels a bit daunting. I'm just fussing about what to wear/eat/drink on the day now. God knows what I'll be like ahead of the start.

:thumbsup: Same here! I know I've done the training, but it's my first one, never even done a half before so I have no idea what the actual race day experience is like. I'm half looking forward to it, and half terrified. That bit in the corral before the start is just going to be horrendous for me I think :lolol:

Its the thought of that medal, the feeling of having accomplished something, the (nearly) £900.00 sponsorship I've raised, and the adrenalin rush that will (I hope) come once I cross that finish line and it's all been worthwhile that's driving me on. I can't wait to get across that line, hopefully not last :lol:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick

I'm wearing my Brighton shirt on Sunday, this seasons shirt, bought and printed up specifically for the marathon with my name and 26 on the back. To avoid the chafing issue I've got a moisture wicking under layer. Obviously hoping for a cool day! I'm hoping that the constant cries of "Albion" and "seagulls" will more than compensate for the extra heat and will also fool me into believing that I'm actually playing for the team.

Also taking the opportunity of being in Brighton for the weekend to take in the game on Saturday - my last ever visit to withdean. Here's hoping for a good weekend all round.

Good luck to everyone else running on Sunday.

homer

Jan 4, 2007
Eastbourne
good luck to all of you running sunday, i will be dashing around the course trying to spot my better half and any of you should you be wearing albion colours, i have to wait another week till i'm pounding 26.2 miles.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Good Luck to all the runners on Sunday; my entry deferred probably until eternity after tearing a muscle in training; I have done 4 in the past;

If it is going to be warm/hot, this can knock 5-10% off your time so be prepared to adjust your expectations and don't go chasing to try and catch up and don't panic!

If you have done the training you will finish so relax and enjoy yourselves

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here