Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nice day for it...think I may go out for a cheeky few miles in the sunshine shortly.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Done my calf....again! No physio here, so looks like no running till I'm home in May. Just doing no impact exrcise machines in the gym which sucks. Massaging your own calf is bloody hard work, especially when I know I need a really deep one to break up the scar tissue. Doing lots of stretching, but after a couple of weeks when I think I can run again, I feel pain as soon as I start running. Very frustrating.
Calf injuries, quite literally, a f***ing pain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did the Worthing 20 this morning. Didn't go very well, slow, sluggish and no energy for last 5 miles. Booooo. The only plus was a lovely bacon sandwich and tea in polystyrene cup from Mick's Burger Van.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quality Spun.

Anyone else do the Worthing 20 this morning? Managed it in a respectable (I think) 2hrs 50 but I could not put one foot in front of the other after. Lovely morning for a run.

Is it anyone on NSC who was giving out water at the water stations with the Albion hat?

Yup, I did it. And it was a nice morning. Are you training for London?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Yup, I did it. And it was a nice morning. Are you training for London?

Didnt get into London this year. Was in for Brighton but having to defer due to having to be away that weekend. Now doing the North Dorset marathon on 1st May. Got a few more long runs before everyone's favourite - tapering.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
After my knee flaring up on my 20 mile run three weeks ago, I thought I might have to pull out of the Brighton marathon but really couldn't face the enormity of that.

I decided, as I could hardly walk for a week, that the only answer was total rest and hope that there was enough time to get moving again.

The good news is that after over two weeks of doing nothing, I went for a very short (3 mile) run on Wednesday with a knee support on and had no reaction at all from the knee. Another longer run Friday and longer again today and I'm still feeling good.

My marathon pack turned up during the week, too, and once again the excitement is building up. I'm just glad I got the long runs in before my knee gave up, so at least I know I can keep going that long. I'm going to have to set my target a little longer than I'd hoped. So long as I beat last year's time, I'll be happy.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Done my calf....again! No physio here, so looks like no running till I'm home in May. Just doing no impact exrcise machines in the gym which sucks. Massaging your own calf is bloody hard work, especially when I know I need a really deep one to break up the scar tissue. Doing lots of stretching, but after a couple of weeks when I think I can run again, I feel pain as soon as I start running. Very frustrating.
Calf injuries, quite literally, a f***ing pain.

Done the same thing nearly 2 weeks ago now, not run at all for 2 weeks now and been doing the same no impact gym stuff to keep the legs moving, going for a make or break run on wednesday to see if it holds out..if it does then i can get a couple more runs in before the marathon, if not ill be totally gutted and have to pull out for this year. Luckily ive got 4 long runs under my belt in February so hope this will be enough to see me through if the calf holds out!!!

Tulip

May 3, 2008
Brighton
Hi Everyone - Don't forget about the Brighton Marathon Exhibition taking place at the Brighton Center on Saturday 9th April - loads of stands to see, the Saucony Seminar Series with Liz McColgan, Steve Cram, Sally Gunnell + more speakers, pasta cafe and your chance to sign up for a guaranteed place for 2012!!! More info at http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/exhibition Best of all, its FREE!

http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/exhibition

PS - Dont forget the official after party at the Brighton Centre from 6pm after the marathon

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Done the same thing nearly 2 weeks ago now, not run at all for 2 weeks now and been doing the same no impact gym stuff to keep the legs moving, going for a make or break run on wednesday to see if it holds out..if it does then i can get a couple more runs in before the marathon, if not ill be totally gutted and have to pull out for this year. Luckily ive got 4 long runs under my belt in February so hope this will be enough to see me through if the calf holds out!!!

How did the make or break run go?

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
How did the make or break run go?

Not good unfortunatly, only managed 5 minutes of slow jogging and it went again, sharp shooting pain down calf muscle. Im assuming its a muscle strain/tear. Been following the "RICE" treatment..rest, ice, compression and elevation for last 2 weeks and will carry on with that. Anyone done anything similar and how much rest is neeed....obviously longer than 2 weeks!! Toatally pissed off after 5 months of training i get injured in the last bloody 3 weeks!!!!! Is it worth seeing a physio??? Can anything more be done other than what ive been doing and can anyone recommend any in Brighton area???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr T - did you say you were going to post some nutrition suggestions for the days before the race ?

You're right, I did.

I have a race day ritual (mainly for hydration) which I have stuck to and it works well for me.

Bagel with jam two hours before, half a litre of water two hours before, another half litre one hour before.....and glug a mouth full at every water station there is. Maybe some jelly babies half way round.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I concur Herr T. There's a danger in drinking too much just before the start/at each water station because of nerves, fear of dehydration. Stick to what you've been doing on your training runs, but of course if it's hot you will need to drink more.

My biggest concern is running too fast. As I've tapered I've started running faster. I'm now worried that I will do the first half too fast and suffer in the last 10 miles.

Last year I made the mistake of charging up the steep hill at Ovingdean, then feeling crap for the rest of the race.

Can we have some tips for the final 9 days of preparation please

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
seem to have buggered my knee weeks before the race and theres no sign of it going away, will just have to hobble round the course then and suffer for weeks/months after i fear.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr T - did you say you were going to post some nutrition suggestions for the days before the race ?

Just re-read this. For the days before I tend to stick to my normal diet, but always have pasta in the evening the 4-5 days before. Drink plenty of water as well. I also seem to eat ice cream a lot.

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
seem to have buggered my knee weeks before the race and theres no sign of it going away, will just have to hobble round the course then and suffer for weeks/months after i fear.

This happened to me too. It's been so frustrating, I've lost my momentum, motivation and some of my fitness as I've not been able to train as much as I would have liked.

I went to the physio at the jog shop (he's a palace fan - boooo). It turns out it is my IT band that is causing my knee to hurt. He massaged me (which was incredibly painful), and I have improved since then, but I have had some twinges recently so decided to get a strap to wear (the physio had mentioned that I may need one, but to see how I got on first).

Just had my first run in it (5k) and (touches wood) didn't notice any twinges, despite the fact my knee was not feeling great when i walked home from work tonight!

It will probably be worth seeing someone, but don't leave it too late or your legs may not recover from the treatment in time for the marathon. Plus they may be able to advise of something to wear that will reduce the pain / risk of pain when running. Good luck.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Not good unfortunatly, only managed 5 minutes of slow jogging and it went again, sharp shooting pain down calf muscle. Im assuming its a muscle strain/tear. Been following the "RICE" treatment..rest, ice, compression and elevation for last 2 weeks and will carry on with that. Anyone done anything similar and how much rest is neeed....obviously longer than 2 weeks!! Toatally pissed off after 5 months of training i get injured in the last bloody 3 weeks!!!!! Is it worth seeing a physio??? Can anything more be done other than what ive been doing and can anyone recommend any in Brighton area???

I would recommend seeing someone having invested all that time & effort but I dont know anyone in the Brighton, come on fellow runners, someone must have a few health guru's up their sleeve. A physio might put it right straight away, might be a long shot but for me I would at least try.

Fingers crossed.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Try Paul Godley at Corals Gym at the Greyhound Stadium. £35 for about 45mins. I did my back in a few months before the New York Marathon in 2005 and saw him after visiting a tree hugger at a Natural Health Clinic. They told me I wouldn't run again but Paul got me back running in 2 weeks. You will need to phone and book up as his diary gets full around marathon time. And he's an Albion fan.....

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Try Paul Godley at Corals Gym at the Greyhound Stadium. £35 for about 45mins. I did my back in a few months before the New York Marathon in 2005 and saw him after visiting a tree hugger at a Natural Health Clinic. They told me I wouldn't run again but Paul got me back running in 2 weeks. You will need to phone and book up as his diary gets full around marathon time. And he's an Albion fan.....

Excellent thank you.....managed to get in on a cancelled appointment at 3:45 this afternoon........my last hope!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here