Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tomorrow is my long run day. Looking for 21 miles I think. Last week my runs all felt really good, haven't been able to do much this week because of late shift changes at work, but I went out Friday with the intention of doing 15 miles or so.

Fine for ten miles, then started to get pain in the right knee, which I think relates to this hamstring/glute/back problem I've been carrying for ages. By twelve miles I couldn't even run more than ten paces without having to stop, so have been in something of a panic all weekend about whether I'll be able to do the long run tomorrow. And the main event. My Osteopath said yesterday it will be alright on the night, as it were, and that the muscles around the knee had just twisted slightly, probably a combination of cold weather, lack of shorter runs, and me not following the stretching exercises he gave me quite as religiously as I had been previously.

It does feel looser today, so I'm taking it easy, crossing my fingers, and hoping I get away with it, as realistically I can't leave the long run any later than this weekend. Furthest prior to that was 18 miles three weeks ago and psychologically I need to get over the 20 mile mark before the marathon.

3 weeks today <nervous>

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
18 miles is still a long way to have run I'd have thought.

I did Hastings today. 2 Hours 17 mins. It was faster then I have been running - but hells teeth, I could not do that pace for another circuit. I have doubts now about time (5 hours looks a very good time for me now) and whether I will be able to simply keep going for 26 miles. What was interesting when there are markers is how much you use them, and how far a bloomin mile is.

The course is a bit severe - but a great show put on by Hastings. I don't know the place at all - but there was were some excellent looking pubs in what I assume was the Old Town. We would have gone back - but it was the other side of the town, and the place was grid-locked. Ashley Barnes was running today (don't tell Mr Burns) - so I assume he will be ok for Tuesday.

It was a useful experience - but raised more questions than answers. I definitely need to pay more attention still to hydration and nutrition.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
18 miles for me today in just under three hours. Bit of hip and knee pain towards the end. I'm not sure where that extra 8 miles is going to come from! One more long run for me then just ticking over until the big day.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
18 miles is still a long way to have run I'd have thought.

I did Hastings today. 2 Hours 17 mins. It was faster then I have been running - but hells teeth, I could not do that pace for another circuit. I have doubts now about time (5 hours looks a very good time for me now) and whether I will be able to simply keep going for 26 miles. What was interesting when there are markers is how much you use them, and how far a bloomin mile is.

The course is a bit severe - but a great show put on by Hastings. I don't know the place at all - but there was were some excellent looking pubs in what I assume was the Old Town. We would have gone back - but it was the other side of the town, and the place was grid-locked. Ashley Barnes was running today (don't tell Mr Burns) - so I assume he will be ok for Tuesday.

It was a useful experience - but raised more questions than answers. I definitely need to pay more attention still to hydration and nutrition.

So it was the real Ashley Barnes in the Albion Kit and Barnes on his back - he looks so different after 7 miles of up hill running!!

Was the only one of the near 5,000 runners in an Albion shirt. I was part of the noisy lot near the hospital.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
So it was the real Ashley Barnes in the Albion Kit and Barnes on his back - he looks so different after 7 miles of up hill running!!

Was the only one of the near 5,000 runners in an Albion shirt. I was part of the noisy lot near the hospital.

I would have worn mine - but decided I needed a bit of breathability. And you were noisy. When you think the event is all run voluntarily - it is a fantastic event. And I will be back for those pubs! As I say - Hastings put on a great show.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I have just done 22.1 miles around the Mid Sussex countryside, and I am over the moon with that. I would have laughed at you a year ago if you suggested I'd ever run a half marathon, or 15 miles, let alone be working up to a full one.

Miles 1-3 I hated, as usual, 12 wasn't nice as I necked a drink a bit fast & it was rather sloshing around uncomfortably in my stomach, but from about 15 on, it was like I just switched off any kind of pain or fatigue signals to my legs, and just kept on going without thinking about it. Considering how painful the last 2 miles of 12 were last Friday, I am thrilled to bits with that. The long run is in the bag, and the tapering starts here. Remains to be seen how stiff my legs feel tomorrow morning, but for now I don't care :lol:

Oh, I also seem to have acquired some comedy suntan lines on my head, arms and legs, which is the first tan I've ever had in March. But at least no twunts in white vans threw drinks at me this time :thumbsup:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I'm running 5km. quite comfortably now, except it seems to have brought an old left-knee football injury into prominence. I can feel it in the morning and when warming up for my run, but then it goes as soon as I start to run. I then feel it after running, and it stays tender for the rest of the day. It's as if my leg is only correctly aligned when running!? Might have to start pushing the distance a bit...

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I'm running 5km. quite comfortably now, except it seems to have brought an old left-knee football injury into prominence. I can feel it in the morning and when warming up for my run, but then it goes as soon as I start to run. I then feel it after running, and it stays tender for the rest of the day. It's as if my leg is only correctly aligned when running!? Might have to start pushing the distance a bit...

Over pronation ? new trainers ? Get some advice from staff at a good running shop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done Edna.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks guys. I'm never going to be a fast runner, but so long as I finish above the deep sea diver, the guy in the rhino costume, and the bloke dressed as a bollock, I'll consider myself a winner.
:thumbsup:

testicles-marathon-costume.jpg
1577405.jpg
60771988_900b2eee70.jpg

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I am following the Brighton Marathon Intermediate plan - I am aiming for sub 4 hrs (in fact 3hrs 59 and 59 secs!).

Best of luck CWWW. I have yet to break the magic 4 hr mark despite a few efforts. Im not running Brighton, how about you break it first.

Well I have just done 22.1 miles around the Mid Sussex countryside, and I am over the moon with that. I would have laughed at you a year ago if you suggested I'd ever run a half marathon, or 15 miles, let alone be working up to a full one.

Great effort Edna. Your dream is only 3 weeks away from reality. :thumbsup:

Agree with CWWW above and would throw in are you stretching after each run? I struggled a lot in my early days like you and it was put down to lack of stretching. Defo get all possibilities checked out.

Thanks guys. I'm never going to be a fast runner, but so long as I finish above the deep sea diver, the guy in the rhino costume, and the bloke dressed as a bollock, I'll consider myself a winner.
:thumbsup:

60771988_900b2eee70.jpg

Coming down the finish of the London Marathon a few years ago, a Rhino went past me, couldnt believe it and it ranks up there with losing the egg & spoon race 1977.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Great effort Edna. Your dream is only 3 weeks away from reality. :thumbsup:

Agree with CWWW above and would throw in are you stretching after each run? I struggled a lot in my early days like you and it was put down to lack of stretching. Defo get all possibilities checked out.

Coming down the finish of the London Marathon a few years ago, a Rhino went past me, couldnt believe it and it ranks up there with losing the egg & spoon race 1977.

I would feel better if it was a real rhino, not a bloke in a 30lb suit :lol:

You're probably right about the stretching, I spent almost an hour before heading out today going through all the stretches my osteopath gave me, and the only thing that feels particularly tight right now is my right calf, which I think suffers from me compensating for the hamstring issue on the left side.

Next week I've managed to arrange a week of intensive physio/rehab stuff through a scheme we have at work, so (a) it means I won't have to be paying out more in osteopath's fees, and (b) I'm hoping I'll finally get to the bottom of the problem with the hamstring/glute....no pun intended. Not bad timing on my part, although I'm in two minds whether to tell them I'm supposed to be running 26 miles as soon as they've finished working on me...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Over pronation ? new trainers ? Get some advice from staff at a good running shop.

I'll second that. I started running in the pair I bought from some hideous chav "sport" emporium a couple of years ago, and had problems in one knee which was diagnosed as ITBS. I went to Up & Running in Horsham to get my shoes and gait checked out, and the bloke said straight away I was running in shoes designed for over-pronators, whereas I needed a neutral shoe. One pair of new trainers later, and a bit of wince-inducing tennis-ball treatment on the IT band, hey presto, no more pain.

Well, apart from me ignoring his advice to buy a pair a size bigger than my normal shoes...once I stepped the mileage up a couple of months ago, I got blisters everywhere. So I went sheepishly back...let's call it two new pairs of trainers later, hey presto no pain OR blisters :lol:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I went to Up & Running in Horsham to get my shoes and gait checked out, and the bloke said straight away I was running in shoes designed for over-pronators, whereas I needed a neutral shoe. One pair of new trainers later, and a bit of wince-inducing tennis-ball treatment on the IT band, hey presto, no more pain.

Well, apart from me ignoring his advice to buy a pair a size bigger than my normal shoes...once I stepped the mileage up a couple of months ago, I got blisters everywhere. So I went sheepishly back...let's call it two new pairs of trainers later, hey presto no pain OR blisters :lol:

I used these guys, really good. I did take their advice over pair bigger though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I used these guys, really good. I did take their advice over pair bigger though.

Well I did get what he was saying, I just didn't feel right when I tried on the bigger pair though, I thought I'd be tripping myself up all over the place, and having never run very far before that, I also had no idea how much your feet would swell.

Fortunately when I went to buy the second, bigger pair, they were in the sale as they were last season's model, so while it's cost me a bit more than originally planned, it could have been worse!

Also been in SweatShop in Queen's Road recently, the chap working in there seemed pretty knowledgeable too. All I have left to do is find some kind of top to wear on the day, and get it printed with my name. Runner # 7237 ready & raring to go.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Thanks for all the input folks, much appreciated

Your stories of going over twenty etc. are an inspiration

Nice to think NSC and BHA will be represented in the marathon

Oh, and Edna. How about a bit of psychology? Just imagine you are chasing a shoplifter who is just a little bit faster than you, and it takes just over twenty six miles to catch them :smile:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nah, I'll imagine he's nicked my Amex season ticket, hours before the first game :)

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
3 weeks before and I get tibialis posterior tendinopathy, a form of shin splints. Ordered to rest and make sure I'm there on the day than try and train and not be, going to ruin my 4:30 target though. Absolutely gutted, but after all this bloody hard work I'll walk it if I have to just to get the medal

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Oh, and Edna. How about a bit of psychology? Just imagine you are chasing a shoplifter who is just a little bit faster than you, and it takes just over twenty six miles to catch them :smile:

Quality Spun.

Anyone else do the Worthing 20 this morning? Managed it in a respectable (I think) 2hrs 50 but I could not put one foot in front of the other after. Lovely morning for a run.

Is it anyone on NSC who was giving out water at the water stations with the Albion hat?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here