Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

sweetmods

Jan 31, 2004
Shoreham Beach
I managed to bang out about 21 miles yesterday. Went from Shoreham up the Downs Link to Partridge Green. Then my aim was to head across to Burgess Hill and then down to a pals house in Hassocks to watch the end of the cricket. However, some bad navigation, some dodgy signposts, an irate farmers wife and a very prickly fence later meant that I got a tad lost and had to get my mate to pick me up from Sayers Common when I'd done my 3.5 hours which was my aim for the day. I enjoyed it and felt pretty good. I tried the shot bloks which (I believe) they are giving out during the marathon - these were really good along with a Clif Energy bar. However, one bottle of water was no where near enough - particularly with an hour or so of sun. Legs were ok today but i've had a bad headache since finishing which was only relieved when Muzza fired in the second today. All in all I'm feeling that 26 miles is now getting within my scope. The countdown to the 10th really starts now.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Four weeks to go for those of us doing the Brighton Marathon :ohmy:

Have raised £500.00 for my chosen charity so far (thanks to various NSC punters for donations :thumbsup:), and when my legs are feeling like they're on the verge of giving up, somewhere around Shoreham Power Station, I shall think of that and be grateful that I still have them.

Long run for me next weekend, and not looking forward to that, but I've come far enough now to know that it'll be worth the efforts in the end.

Anyone done their long run today?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm looking forward to the tapering bit :lol:

By the way, on the subject of names on running shirts, where can I get this done locally?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I'm looking forward to the tapering bit :lol:

By the way, on the subject of names on running shirts, where can I get this done locally?

You can buy iron on letters - or the albion shop ? 20 miles under my belt today - followed by Beer, Rugby and Curry. Is it just me or do slow runs seem to hurt just as much as fast ones ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
When I used to row we would take pulse rates after exercise to monitor how fast they came down. You can tell a lot about fitness about how fast you recover. On earlier longer runs I was still still the day after. Today I felt fine. Happy days.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Well, I never thought I would consider the two hour run I have planned for this week as a treat but after a 20 miler from Hove to Worthing Pier and back yesterday, that's how it's going to feel.

20 miles took me just over 3 and a half hours but my god did those last few miles hurt. Perfect weather though. I just hope it's not too warm on the day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, I never thought I would consider the two hour run I have planned for this week as a treat but after a 20 miler from Hove to Worthing Pier and back yesterday, that's how it's going to feel.

20 miles took me just over 3 and a half hours but my god did those last few miles hurt. Perfect weather though. I just hope it's not too warm on the day.

Ha ha. I was talking to a few runners just before the Brighton half about how 13 miles felt like a break. Manontherun was one of them. It's a good indication of how far you've come.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did 22 miles this morning. It was a bit tough after taking a week off for hols. I was feeling very tired and stiff but a trip to the chip shop, a Rauchbier and the Neon Indian CD has sorted me out.

This is my peak though, the Worthing 20 next Sunday, then 18 miles and the taper starts.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Anyone doing the Hastings Half tomorrow? I don't know Hastings that well, any tips for race day, particularly from a travel/parking POV.

And as HT says above, a half will seem like a breeze after the last few weeks. Got my Brighton marathon pack today, feeling pretty excited about it. It's been a long winter of training .. Not long to go now.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
18 miles again today, lovely day for it.

I don't think I'll best last year's time simply because I slacked and picked up training too late so just hoping my experience will haul me around.

sweetmods

Jan 31, 2004
Shoreham Beach
Really struggled with 18 miles in the rain on Friday. I was perhaps a bit complacent after a good 21 miles the week before. Not sure where that last few miles is going to come from as there is not a lot left in the tank!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone doing the Hastings Half tomorrow? I don't know Hastings that well, any tips for race day, particularly from a travel/parking POV.

And as HT says above, a half will seem like a breeze after the last few weeks. Got my Brighton marathon pack today, feeling pretty excited about it. It's been a long winter of training .. Not long to go now.

This is probably too late but when I did the race a few years back we found it easiest for my wife to drop me off, then she parked the car and waited for me at the finish.

Race tip is to take the first 6 really easy, as it's up-hill, don't worry about your time. The latter part is really nice especially the final 3-4 miles through the old village and seafront. Glorious day for it as well and you'll get good support. Good luck.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really struggled with 18 miles in the rain on Friday. I was perhaps a bit complacent after a good 21 miles the week before. Not sure where that last few miles is going to come from as there is not a lot left in the tank!

This is to be expected. And partly the reason why you taper down to race day. I normally find my first one or two really long runs are good...then they get a bit hit or miss. Last year I ran the Thanet 20 really well, two weeks later in good conditions I ran the Worthing 20 about 15 minutes slower but on race day I was more than fine. You'll be fine.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I am following the Brighton Marathon Intermediate plan - I am aiming for sub 4 hrs (in fact 3hrs 59 and 59 secs!). Did 15 miles at 9 min mile pace which felt fast but I still felt strong at the end. This will be my third marathon -after going out too fast in the first, running with an injury in the second - I hope this we be the one to brak 4hrs. It does feel a little strange coming down from 10 min miles to 9 - hope the plan works and the taper isn't too early.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Knocked a slow 22 miles out this morning, legs felt a bit tired towards the end, but other than that felt fine. This is my last long run until Brighton now, so I guess the tapering starts now!

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
I did my first run today after my operation in December (cheilectomy) - 4 miles. Ouch. I don't want to withdraw from Brighton but I don't see how I can manage it.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Just starting to build up to my first half marathon in June. Doing 6km runs three times a week to get used to it, and my lower muscles are a bit sore just now. Did a couple of 10km runs which were no problem, just the old boredom factor weighs heavy. The mental aspect is clearly going to be the hardest I think!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here