Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
going to have to let you all do it without me;

pulled my adductor muscle 2 weeks ago and only limited improvement since! managed 3 miles yesterday before being forced to stop; was due to do the 20 miler next Sunday!
at my age these injuries just take too long to heal so there is not enough time to catch up even assuming it got better over the next 2 weeks.
unofficially at "did not start" status; hotel booking cancelled :(

GOOD LUCK to the rest of you

rob

Real tough luck that Robbie, it could still happen to any of us yet. With the training I've been doing it feels like my body is a highly tuned mechanical machine, but I know one slip here or there and it would be easy to pull it all out of line.

Why not still come down and shout the others on?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Big weekend ahead. For those following the training plans - this is the weekend of the longest run. I have my 20 mile route mapped out - taking in a fair section of the course (including the run up New Church Road and back and the back of the power station). I have discovered for myself the importance of keeping hydrated and nourished during the long runs - I came to a grinding halt on a long run when I didn't bother. I did a 14 mile run last night which now seems reasonably straight forward - although my hamstrings are really tight at the finish.

Good luck peeps.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I'm upto 18 miles (doing Brighton marathon on 10th April). I'm not at all quick am a total plodder but hey completion is the name of the game for me having never done a marathon before.

For those of you doing the marathon on the 10th what sort of distance are you aiming for this weekend and when are you going to do your last long run before race day?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes this weekend is the big one before the Brighton marathon or at least it was supposed to be for me but I 'accidently' did 20 miles last weekend. I guess that will teach me for relying solely on my GPS and trying to estimate how far I had gone when said GPS disappeared after about 8 miles. Still at least I now know a 20 mile route so I'll be prepared for this weekend, I'll probably stick to the same distance 20 miles was always the aim.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I did just over 17 miles last weekend, doing a short run tonight then the big one on Sunday morning with the British Military Fitness bods. Apparently it's from Hove Peace Statue to Worthing Pier and back. :(

Having been dreading marathon day (I'm doing my first ever on the 10th) I now find I am dreading these training runs far more. The "novelty" factor of running has certainly worn off now and I can't wait to get it all out the way.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I did just over 17 miles last weekend, doing a short run tonight then the big one on Sunday morning with the British Military Fitness bods. Apparently it's from Hove Peace Statue to Worthing Pier and back. :(

Having been dreading marathon day (I'm doing my first ever on the 10th) I now find I am dreading these training runs far more. The "novelty" factor of running has certainly worn off now and I can't wait to get it all out the way.

I have to agree with you there, I hate the fact that you have to devote an entire Sunday to doing a long run and then recovering/aching followed a Monday at work during which you just want to sleep.

I think it makes a big difference which route you take, up until last weekend all my long runs have been from the peace statue along to Shoreham and back which I have found very depressing especially that bit along Basin Road. Last Sunday I went east all the way to Saltdean which has a much nicer backdrop and despite all the hills I felt much more motivated to go further. Having the sun shining helped matters too.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
So is anyone planning to wear Albion stripes to run the Brighton Marathon or is that not the done thing?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I managed to get ahead of myself and do a 20 miler last Sunday.

The only problem is that I seem to have twisted my right knee somewhere along the line and by Sunday night was unable to walk.

The pain has mostly gone now, but I'm going to give it another full week of rest and just hope that I'll be able to pick up again in time to be ready for the big day.

I really hope it's not an injury that's going to keep me out of the big day this year. I absolutely loved it last year and am hungry for more. Up until Sunday, I'd been breezing through the training, too, and was feeling like a proper runner.

I even managed my fastest half marathon distance since March 1989 during last Sunday's run. Perhaps I just went too quick? :shrug:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So is anyone planning to wear Albion stripes to run the Brighton Marathon or is that not the done thing?

There were plenty in the stripes last year.

Personally, I wear a training top with the Albion badge neatly showing above my number. :thumbsup:

Marathon.jpg

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
There were plenty in the stripes last year.

Personally, I wear a training top with the Albion badge neatly showing above my number. :thumbsup:

View attachment 22145

Hope you didn't suffer any nipple rub there Sully. Would have made a right mess of your shirt.

20 miles for me on Sunday, for Brighton on the 10th. My training plan has 2 20 milers, so same again a week later.

Being able to get to 20 miles always feels good, as really on race day you know its "only" another 10k to the finish.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I did 19 miles last Sunday, plan to do 20 this weekend and 22 the following weekend. I've got a place in a 20 mile race 2 weeks before the marathon, but think that I should probably be tapering down by then. Shame really cos I did that 20 mile race last year in preparation for the London marathon and it was lovely.

I'm thinking of wearing the stripes for the Brighton marathon, but am a bit concerned that the replica kit won't have the wicking properties of a running shirt and that it will also have seams in the wrong places. I was therefore thinking of wearing a running shirt under the footie kit - here's hoping for a cold day on 10 April.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
15 hours!!

It was an LDWA event so plenty of stops for food, Lunch just after halfway, once it got dark I got very slow, and following instructions like 'across ploughed field to gap in hedge' was very difficult when you can't see the other side of the field!!

Still, the reason for doing it was to qualify for this years South Downs Way Race, so job done, need to start training for 104 miles!!

I was thinking of tackling the South Downs Way race - but aren't there cut off times? And what races do the organisers require you to do to qualify to compete?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Did 18 a couple of weeks ago, have done a 9 & a 14 so far this week, and probably do the big 20 miler next weekend (as in, not this one coming up) due to work commitments.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I have to agree with you there, I hate the fact that you have to devote an entire Sunday to doing a long run and then recovering/aching followed a Monday at work during which you just want to sleep.

I think it makes a big difference which route you take, up until last weekend all my long runs have been from the peace statue along to Shoreham and back which I have found very depressing especially that bit along Basin Road. Last Sunday I went east all the way to Saltdean which has a much nicer backdrop and despite all the hills I felt much more motivated to go further. Having the sun shining helped matters too.

The weather this year ahead of all the spring marathons has been awful and totally demotivating when you've got to drag yourself out of bed in the morning. I found that when my motivation starts to lag I try mixing it up too and go exploring with an OS map and trying to join up well-known footpaths or run through places I've seen signs of and never been to. It's far more engaging and you're spending the time on your feet - and it gives your knees and joints a rest from the road. The time just seems to go much quicker.

I also try to get up and run at 6am, so I know that I can be back on my sofa, showered and warm again by midday. Running with other people for at least part of a route always makes the time fly by (for me, at least).

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I was thinking of tackling the South Downs Way race - but aren't there cut off times? And what races do the organisers require you to do to qualify to compete?

Josky, qualifying for the SDW Race is a 50 mile trail race.
The cut off times are here Checkpoints

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Am going from Poet's Corner to Worthing pier and back tomorrow - roughly 19/20 miles depending on what way I go... what's this route like ?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I started running 19 days ago

First day, 1.8 miles, seven stops and acheing limbs :smile:

Today, 5km. (3 miles 200 yards), no stops, 37 minutes...

Will stick at that distance, start nibbling the time down and Robert will be my mother's brother :smile:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I started running 19 days ago

First day, 1.8 miles, seven stops and acheing limbs :smile:

Today, 5km. (3 miles 200 yards), no stops, 37 minutes...

Will stick at that distance, start nibbling the time down and Robert will be my mother's brother :smile:

Everyone on this thread will appreciate this post and probably remember their first few runs.

Good work spun.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here