Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone doing the BHF South Downs Challenge this Saturday? 07:30 start then up into the downs.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Did 17 miles today. I have been trying to do some speed and hill work - but still do not have the puff to go faster than 11 minute miles when I run a distance. I am struggling to think where the additional 9 miles is going to come from - but it did come a bit easier today I think.

Did 17 miles today. I have been trying to do some speed and hill work - but still do not have the puff to go faster than 11 minute miles when I run a distance. I am struggling to think where the additional 9 miles is going to come from - but it did come a bit easier today I think.

Well done mate.
Did eighteen today and my legs are now like concrete! Felt a bit tired at the end but that may be because I didn't eat any carbs yesterday evening.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden

I really struggled yesterday to do 18 miles (at around 10 min miles) -last sunday the 13 miles at 8.30 felt OK, on the day it will feel easier but the last 8 is going to hurt but you will have more adrenaline. Try reading the book by Murakami sp? I think it is called what i talk about when I talk about running, it is a great incentive to read a chapter before a long run.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What distance is it?

8, 15 and 20. I did the later and it was very tough, very hilly (obviously), very wet and very very muddy. Took me 3 hours 15.

Last edited:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
16 miles under my belt this morning and it was a beautiful morning for running here. Still a bit concerned that I'm behind my schedule with only 6 weeks until the Brighton marathon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really struggled yesterday to do 18 miles (at around 10 min miles) -last sunday the 13 miles at 8.30 felt OK, on the day it will feel easier but the last 8 is going to hurt but you will have more adrenaline. Try reading the book by Murakami sp? I think it is called what i talk about when I talk about running, it is a great incentive to read a chapter before a long run.

Great book. I read it a few years back. Your spelling and title are correct.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I did about 53 miles yesterday Winter Poppyline.
My longest run ever. it's a 50 miler, I had a few navigational issues at the end !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
15 hours!!

It was an LDWA event so plenty of stops for food, Lunch just after halfway, once it got dark I got very slow, and following instructions like 'across ploughed field to gap in hedge' was very difficult when you can't see the other side of the field!!

Still, the reason for doing it was to qualify for this years South Downs Way Race, so job done, need to start training for 104 miles!!

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I also did 16 miles yesterday, I wouldn't say it is behind schedule, I'm planning 2 more longer runs: 18 miles and 20 miles.

15 hours!!

It was an LDWA event so plenty of stops for food, Lunch just after halfway, once it got dark I got very slow, and following instructions like 'across ploughed field to gap in hedge' was very difficult when you can't see the other side of the field!!

Still, the reason for doing it was to qualify for this years South Downs Way Race, so job done, need to start training for 104 miles!!

I really like the LDWA events. Goodness knows how they keep the prices so low, together with food that most big races could only dream about.
I did the Winter Tanners event in January this year, but the 20 odd miles was nothing like your ultra marathon challenge! Well done again. You must be feeling shattered.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You must be feeling shattered.

I've taken the day off today as recovery. I'm fine sitting down, I'm fine walking around.

Getting up after sitting down is the problem!

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
going to have to let you all do it without me;

pulled my adductor muscle 2 weeks ago and only limited improvement since! managed 3 miles yesterday before being forced to stop; was due to do the 20 miler next Sunday!
at my age these injuries just take too long to heal so there is not enough time to catch up even assuming it got better over the next 2 weeks.
unofficially at "did not start" status; hotel booking cancelled :(

GOOD LUCK to the rest of you

rob

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here