Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I haven't read all the previous 300 posts; is there a NSC running vest?
No there isn't, but someone once mentioned asking the club about them stocking running vests and other associated clobber. Nothing available as yet though.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
No there isn't, but someone once mentioned asking the club about them stocking running vests and other associated clobber. Nothing available as yet though.

It would be great to have one!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Last year I was lapping up the marathon training and enjoying it and this year couldn't be more different, I really cannot be arsed and I get bored within about 30 minutes - having trouble really wanting to do it :(

Anyone ever get like this?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I don't know about you - but the thought that 13.7 is an "only" takes some getting used to. I am away this weekend - so probably not running. I will miss this next long run.

Must have been a pleasure running past the stadium. It is amazing what you see when you are running that you miss when driving past.

I did my run on Saturday, we were one nil down. We scored the equaliser as I was running along past stamner park (I thought I would run past the stadium to give us luck). By the time I got home we were 4-1 up! Think I may do the Lewes run this Saturday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ran with the Brighton Marathon lot again today, but tacked on 2.5 miles to the start as I needed 20 under my belt today. I was struggling for the last two miles, even with a tail wind. But, I performed much better in Carets Cafe, where I devoured the biggest breakfast they had, extra toast and a choco milk in minutes.

Nice to meet and talk to Man on the Run as well.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Last year I was lapping up the marathon training and enjoying it and this year couldn't be more different, I really cannot be arsed and I get bored within about 30 minutes - having trouble really wanting to do it :(

Anyone ever get like this?

Yup, had planned to do my log run when I got up this morning, Got up late, CBA.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Been skiing for a few days, back now and need to do my long run tomorrow, cant say I can be arsed but tomorrow is another day.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Did 19 miles this morning after I finished my night shift. Portslade to Bramber and back again through Botolphs and the like. I know the training recommends these are long slow runs and I did it in about 3 hours 20 minutes or so. Christ knows how I'll do an extra 7 miles at a faster pace. I was in bits.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I did just over 14 miles yesterday, Preston Circus to Shoreham and back, going out there was great but coming back was a nightmare with the wind almost blowing me backwards and pissing down with rain. It nearly finished me off so I've clearly still got a long way to go!

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Ran with the Brighton Marathon lot again today, but tacked on 2.5 miles to the start as I needed 20 under my belt today. I was struggling for the last two miles, even with a tail wind. But, I performed much better in Carets Cafe, where I devoured the biggest breakfast they had, extra toast and a choco milk in minutes.

Nice to meet and talk to Man on the Run as well.

Good to meet you HT ...

Yesterday was tough, as you say the last couple of miles were a real challenge. Basin Road is certainly not the most inspiring place to run although I guess it is good practice for the big day. If I'd been on my own I would almost certainly have bottled it, being part of the group was the only thing that kept me going (even if I did run the last 6 miles with a Palace STH).

I also arrived back to the car park at Carrats to find a warden sticking a ticket on my car (my fault, I only had change for a couple of hours on the ticket) ...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Good to meet you HT ...

Yesterday was tough, as you say the last couple of miles were a real challenge. Basin Road is certainly not the most inspiring place to run although I guess it is good practice for the big day. If I'd been on my own I would almost certainly have bottled it, being part of the group was the only thing that kept me going (even if I did run the last 6 miles with a Palace STH).

I also arrived back to the car park at Carrats to find a warden sticking a ticket on my car (my fault, I only had change for a couple of hours on the ticket) ...

Basin Road is a horrible place to run isn't it? I hope they sort out some decent entertainment down there this year I hear it was a bit depressing last year and I would imagine it's quite important time to have people egging you on.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Did 17 miles with the Military Fitness bods yesterday morning. Managed to miss the worst of the rain as we set off at 8am. Really struggled for the last two miles but at least my post-run tunm stomach issues seem to be improving.

So who's doing the Brighton Half Marathon on Sunday?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Did 17 miles with the Military Fitness bods yesterday morning. Managed to miss the worst of the rain as we set off at 8am. Really struggled for the last two miles but at least my post-run tunm stomach issues seem to be improving.

So who's doing the Brighton Half Marathon on Sunday?

Yes, I am. Hastings in a few weeks too.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
A couple of friends are doing the Brighton Half on Sunday. Used to be my favourite race, but thought I'd miss out this year, after the chaos of last time.

Instead, I'm doing Malta Half Marathon a week later, and then Leith Hill a week after that.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Good luck to those doing Brighton on Sunday.

I couldnt get in so am doing the Race your Pace at Dorney Lake. Bring it on.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Good luck to those doing Brighton on Sunday.

I couldnt get in so am doing the Race your Pace at Dorney Lake. Bring it on.

I ran a half marathon at Dorney Lake last year - dead flat but probably one of the most tedious, boring races I have ever run. Half way along one side of the lake, turn round, run half way down the other side of the lake and repeat 4 times - I nearly fell asleep!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I ran a half marathon at Dorney Lake last year - dead flat but probably one of the most tedious, boring races I have ever run. Half way along one side of the lake, turn round, run half way down the other side of the lake and repeat 4 times - I nearly fell asleep!

Thanks for the tip off. I better not have a late night then - :lol:

Maybe a chance of a good time though.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Who did the half today ? Liked the new route. Nice steady 1hr 53 for me. Overtook a palace fan in the last mile (although he was probably 10yrs older than me).

No goody bag though:angry:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
01:50:54 pb for me according to my watch. Shame I couldn't get under 01:50 but hey-ho.
And like you say, where the devil was the goody bag?! An under ripe banana just doesn't cut it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here