Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I don't know, tomorrow will be my first run with this group. No one has mentioned you need to be registered and I'm presuming from this it's not required.

Have a good one - bobby's bacon snacks for afters or maybe the real deal and a bacon sarnie?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have a good one - bobby's bacon snacks for afters or maybe the real deal and a bacon sarnie?

or maybe I can spoil myself a go for both?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I did a 16 miler this morning - it was supposed to be approx 10 minute miles - but was actually nearly 11 minute miles taking nearly three bleedin hours. I am cream-crackered. That additional 10 miles seems a long, long way. Respect to you marathon regulars.

I thought I could get away without doing the speed work - but a change in strategy is needed.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I did a 16 miler this morning - it was supposed to be approx 10 minute miles - but was actually nearly 11 minute miles taking nearly three bleedin hours. I am cream-crackered. That additional 10 miles seems a long, long way. Respect to you marathon regulars.

I thought I could get away without doing the speed work - but a change in strategy is needed.

Don't worry about times for the long runs, it is about getting your body used to running for a long period of time, try and maintain a steady pace. Do faster shorter runs in the week - if you are running 11min miles try a 5 mile at 45 mins (and up this weekly to maybe 13/14 miles). There are still 2 months to go ! I am aiming for 4 hrs and did 17 in 2hr 50.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Don't worry about times for the long runs, it is about getting your body used to running for a long period of time, try and maintain a steady pace. Do faster shorter runs in the week - if you are running 11min miles try a 5 mile at 45 mins (and up this weekly to maybe 13/14 miles). There are still 2 months to go ! I am aiming for 4 hrs and did 17 in 2hr 50.

Cheers for that - I am not sure my body will get too used to it. A long run wipes out Sunday for me. I have not bothered with speed work up to this week - but will do more of these - plus a bit of hill work.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Thats interesting,

I am aiming for under 4 hrs and I was able to do it in 2 hrs 50 (ish) but I couldnt have kept it up for much longer. Following Simster's advice I have been adding in a couple of speed sessions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm back, bathed and refuelled* after my first outing with the official Brighton Marathon training thingy. What a nice bunch of people. I ran part of the course with the mother of the chap who set up and organises the race. Nice lady.

I did a total of 18 miles this morning. See you next week.

PS I never knew there is a cycle track in the far corner of Preston Park.

* 2 x Bacon Streaks, Yazzo chocolate milk and half a cheese and ham sandwich.

Last edited:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I'm back, bathed and refuelled* after my first outing with the official Brighton Marathon training thingy. What a nice bunch of people. I ran part of the course with the mother of the chap who set up and organises the race. Nice lady.

PS I never knew there was a cycle track in the far corner of Preston Park.

Im assuming you didnt run round the cycle track for 18 miles - :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers for that - I am not sure my body will get too used to it. A long run wipes out Sunday for me. I have not bothered with speed work up to this week - but will do more of these - plus a bit of hill work.

If it's any comfort I run regularly, I have run two marathons, both at a reasonable time, and I'm currently feeling wiped out after today's run. It not until about 6-8 weeks before the race that I can knock off long training runs without too much discomfort.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If it's any comfort I run regularly, I have run two marathons, both at a reasonable time, and I'm currently feeling wiped out after today's run. It not until about 6-8 weeks before the race that I can knock off long training runs without too much discomfort.

That is some comfort. Ta.

And I only encountered that cycle track for the first time last summer. Is it regularly used ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is some comfort. Ta.

And I only encountered that cycle track for the first time last summer. Is it regularly used ?

I saw some serious people on serious machines whizzing around it today. It does not look up to competition standard but it's certainly useable. I might take my bike up there for a spin sometime.

I am always conscious I drink enough before running and I always have to pee on my long runs, I put it down to my weak bladder, i think its a cross some of us have to bear.

I think I will be bearing that cross during marathon day then!

16 mile run tomorrow for the Intermediate schedule. It is an early start, buy a paper on the way back, then back to bed for a good study of the League One table. I will stop to buy a drink halfway round and some chocolate or something.

iPod loaded with the Albion Roar, Witness, Football Weekly Extra, and some Witness ............. hoping the body stands up to it ........

I did that on the Friday instead and went to Lewes Prison and back from the The Level, I found it extremely hard on the way back and only did 13.7 miles, but I can't do the full pace of this intermediate schedule, knees can't hack it!

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I did that on the Friday instead and went to Lewes Prison and back from the The Level, I found it extremely hard on the way back and only did 13.7 miles, but I can't do the full pace of this intermediate schedule, knees can't hack it!

I don't know about you - but the thought that 13.7 is an "only" takes some getting used to. I am away this weekend - so probably not running. I will miss this next long run.

Must have been a pleasure running past the stadium. It is amazing what you see when you are running that you miss when driving past.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove

PS I never knew there is a cycle track in the far corner of Preston Park.

I ran with them on Sunday for the first time (with the 10min/mile group), I'm so glad I did. Was struggling a bit with motivation on my long runs, mainly driven by boredom. I found being part of a group really helped and as you say it's a really nice bunch of people. Ovingdean back to Brighton was a challenge with the wind howling in your face ... !

For anyone struggling with the long Sunday runs, I can't recommend this enough. 17.5m this Sunday - Carrats Cafe to Ovingdean and back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I ran with them on Sunday for the first time (with the 10min/mile group), I'm so glad I did. Was struggling a bit with motivation on my long runs, mainly driven by boredom. I found being part of a group really helped and as you say it's a really nice bunch of people. Ovingdean back to Brighton was a challenge with the wind howling in your face ... !

For anyone struggling with the long Sunday runs, I can't recommend this enough. 17.5m this Sunday - Carrats Cafe to Ovingdean and back.

I think it's Carrats Cafe to Saltdean this coming week. Looks like the route is along the undercliff from Rottingdean so the big hill is missed out. Perfect place to end, I'm aiming to undo all of the run's goodness in a single sitting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here