Sunday
Sunny Intervals
Max: 18°C (64°F)
Min: 10°C (50°F)
Wind: NW 0mph

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
:thumbsup: Same here! I know I've done the training, but it's my first one, never even done a half before so I have no idea what the actual race day experience is like. I'm half looking forward to it, and half terrified. That bit in the corral before the start is just going to be horrendous for me I think :lolol:

Its the thought of that medal, the feeling of having accomplished something, the (nearly) £900.00 sponsorship I've raised, and the adrenalin rush that will (I hope) come once I cross that finish line and it's all been worthwhile that's driving me on. I can't wait to get across that line, hopefully not last :lol:

I'm seriously bricking it too, feel physically sick, can't sleep and the injury twinges everytime I even think of Sunday, and we're supposed to be doing this for fun? Great effort with the sponsorship Edna, I too am running for H4H but only have about £800.

Good luck everyone

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Best of luck everyone. I'll be there in the crowd cheering on my brother with the rest of my family. Having done it last year, it is a great event to run, and I'm probably going to be back running it next year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm seriously bricking it too, feel physically sick, can't sleep and the injury twinges everytime I even think of Sunday, and we're supposed to be doing this for fun? Great effort with the sponsorship Edna, I too am running for H4H but only have about £800.

Good luck everyone

Do not worry, if worst comes to worst you can walk it. Just set off slowly, hold back, and see how far this takes you. The key is to pace yourself. And most people will have to grit their teeth and dig in at some point, it's only to be expected. So do not worry.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Best of luck everyone. I'll be there in the crowd cheering on my brother with the rest of my family. Having done it last year, it is a great event to run, and I'm probably going to be back running it next year.

and to think a year ago I was standing there cheering you on thinking "there is no way you would ever get me running a marathon". I don't think I'll be doing a second one though so normal service will be resumed next year!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Good luck everyone

"only" £800.00? That's bloody brilliant :clap: times are hard for people & I'm grateful for every penny, especially when loads of us are all begging for sponsorship right now. It all counts. Think I'm going to end up just short of a grand, which is way more than I ever thought I'd be able to raise.

So all I have to do now is run 26 little miles :lol: See you at the start line...I'll be the one in and out of the toilet twenty times with nerves...

Last edited:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
"only" £800.00? That's bloody brilliant :clap: times are hard for people & I'm grateful for every penny, especially when loads of us are all begging for sponsorship right now. It all counts. Think I'm going to end up just short of a grand, which is way more than I ever thought I'd be able to raise.

So all I have to do now is run 26 little miles :lol: See you at the start line...I'll be the one in and out of the toilet twenty times with nerves...

A marathon is an obligatory 3 poo race, the adrenaline kicks in as soon as you wake up, then another one before you leave, then the just to be sure when you get there. Nothing worse than needing a poo when you run !

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
A marathon is an obligatory 3 poo race, the adrenaline kicks in as soon as you wake up, then another one before you leave, then the just to be sure when you get there. Nothing worse than needing a poo when you run !

I've found that popping an immodium just after the pre-race dump usually does the trick.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Yes, be aware of your toilet requirements, unless you want to do a "Paula" :)

Really getting into marathon zone now, really looking forward to Sunday.

To all you first timers , just take it easy at the start, its all too easy to go off too quick ,what with the crowds and everything. David Coleman used to have the best advice, didn't he? "Start slow, get slower" :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sunday
Sunny Intervals
Max: 18°C (64°F)
Min: 10°C (50°F)
Wind: NW 0mph
If that isn't PB weather, you guys might as well give up!

(good luck everyone)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To all you first timers , just take it easy at the start, its all too easy to go off too quick ,what with the crowds and everything. David Coleman used to have the best advice, didn't he? "Start slow, get slower" :)

That's rubbish take it from a man who refuses to run anywhere.

Get to the very front of the start line.
Sprint the 385 yards.
Then dig deep for the next, only, 26 miles running zig zag across the road with your arms out stretch.
Make it impossible to be overtaken so people will end up having to carry you.
Bish bosh jobs a good'un.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If that isn't PB weather, you guys might as well give up!

Well at least I can't fail to achieve a PB, however slowly I go :lolol:

Thanks for the toilet advice, but I'm not sure race day is the ideal time to be trying Immodium for the first time, so I'll just have to go with the flow and hope I don't end up having to go a la Radcliffe.

Am even starting to look forward to it, my main concern at the moment is that I know I need to just go at my pace, keep it steady and not race off, but the old psychology means that most people will hammer away from the start line, and nobody wants to be left behind, do they?! So I need to be brave enough to let people go off however they want and not get sucked in by the adrenalin.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Well at least I can't fail to achieve a PB, however slowly I go :lolol:

Am even starting to look forward to it, my main concern at the moment is that I know I need to just go at my pace, keep it steady and not race off, but the old psychology means that most people will hammer away from the start line, and nobody wants to be left behind, do they?! So I need to be brave enough to let people go off however they want and not get sucked in by the adrenalin.

Edna, from what I remember last year, there were a quite a few people just walking ,so you certainly wont be left behind at the start.

You will notice people going past you at the start but try not to worry. Its a long race, so its not about what you do during mile 1. Though I think we all get a bit excited at the start!

Just take it very easy, if it doesn't feel too slow, your probably going too fast :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna, from what I remember last year, there were a quite a few people just walking ,so you certainly wont be left behind at the start.

You will notice people going past you at the start but try not to worry. Its a long race, so its not about what you do during mile 1. Though I think we all get a bit excited at the start!

Just take it very easy, if it doesn't feel too slow, your probably going too fast :)

This thread has been great, speaking as a first-timer and a newcomer to running. It's quite easy to feel like you're the only novice amongst a herd of proper athletes, and it's been good to know there are others who are (or more importantly have been) in the same boat.

Tomorrow morning is time to get all the kit together, then I can go to the game and not think about it. Still excited though.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I did it! 4.55 which was slower than I wanted but given my knee problems just happy to finish. In pain after a mile due to knee so bloody hard work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did it! 4.55 which was slower than I wanted but given my knee problems just happy to finish. In pain after a mile due to knee so bloody hard work.

Well done!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here