Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** Official England v France Thread *****

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My view is that our biggest fault was that we defended too deep and had we been 5 yds further up the field Nasri and the others that were lining up for a shot when he scored wouldn't have had the chance.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bit disappointed at our lack of potency up front. If Welbeck is the answer, I bam not sure what the question is. I thought Milner was poor and I know he is long gone, but we missed beckhams dead ball and crossing ability.

Having said all that, France were nothing much, Sweden and Ukraine look pants. This is the weak group so far

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Anyone who had noticed this unknown Hodgson name pop up in the strangest (and most respected) places across Europe over the last 20 yrs or so would know he is the only Englishman for this job in truth. At last things look sensible and hopefully in time he will have drilled it into them that they are shit and that their only hope is to play his boring sensible way. Long live Roy!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I thought that we needed a leader on the pitch. That muppet Gerard should hand back the armband to JT. He had another outstanding performance today.

Unfortunately, whilst our defense looked strong considering the pressure it was under with a lightweight midfield and no quality up front, we do not have the cutting edge to win matches at this level.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Anyone who had noticed this unknown Hodgson name pop up in the strangest (and most respected) places across Europe over the last 20 yrs or so would know he is the only Englishman for this job in truth. At last things look sensible and hopefully in time he will have drilled it into them that they are shit and that their only hope is to play his boring sensible way. Long live Roy!

Agreed, especially with the squad we have after injuries. Somewhat sickeningly, most of the other teams' best players play in our Premiership, keeping English players out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Or the stuffing at Arsenal? Or in the semi? or against City? or Utd?

The Arsenal game was hilarious. :lolol: But that's not Harry's fault. Walcott and Van Persie were inspired, that's football. I wouldn't blame him for that. Especially not against Man City either, considering it was a game lost in the minute only seconds after a glorious chance to win the game, no? And Man Utd was right at the start of the season, but it's a fair example.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you underestimate the scandis.

They're not bad. I just thought we were genuinely quite good. They're being outplayed by Ukraine currently.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
did everyone see a different game to me?

i thought we looked flat and predictable, row of 4, row of 4, row of 2, and no guile or fluidity.

we look half solid, but can't get the ball, pass the ball, or keep the ball well enough to get to the semi's.

building a team around gerrard is something we should have done 7 years ago, not now - he isn't good enough compared to the other midfielders in the tournament.

still, we looked ok, and it was against a top looking team.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Was Benzema playing? Still firmly wedged in JT's back pocket. Brilliant performance by the back 4 I thought.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We did OK but do give the ball away cheaply, I really do hope this is the final time for Gerard and the spirit of that Champions League win has an effect, my opinion is he is a waste of space really

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My view is that our biggest fault was that we defended too deep and had we been 5 yds further up the field Nasri and the others that were lining up for a shot when he scored wouldn't have had the chance.

i thought one of the good things was we werent too deep most of the time, the goal highlighted this being one time when we didnt push back out to the edge of the box, got caught too flat.

Bit disappointed at our lack of potency up front. If Welbeck is the answer, I bam not sure what the question is.

Welbeck was quite good as an outlet, decent off the ball positioning being available for most balls out of the defense.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Gerard should be encouraged to play short balls and one twos with those around him rather than the 40 yd passes he continually tries but usually fails with..

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Chambermaid blatantly not good enough for this level yet, and neither is Welbeck. Say what you like about Downing, but he is more experienced and uses the ball better.

Is this level much greater than all the other football?

Maybe they both had an off game. Maybe they are international duds as the moment. Do you have shares in Downing? You have been backing him for a long time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If we played like we did tonight against Sweden there is no way on earth we'll lose to Sweden.

Really? We didn't look too penetrating up front and it only needs a lapse in concentration or a moment of brilliance to concede. No way on earth? YOu are being very naive (or maybe ironic, if I missed the joke).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i thought one of the good things was we werent too deep most of the time, the goal highlighted this being one time when we didnt push back out to the edge of the box, got caught too flat.

For the French goal and for most of the last 15 minutes we had about 8 or 9 players in our own penalty box which in itself gives the game to the opponents and luckily time ran out for them. As I said had we stepped up 5 or 10 yds we wouild have relieved the problems this deep defending caused. It could have been a different story had they taken Malouda off and replaced him with Ben Arfa 10 or 15 minutes earlier.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For the French goal and for most of the last 15 minutes we had about 8 or 9 players in our own penalty box

with the benefit of PVR, i can tell you that there were only a handful of times in the last 20 minutes when we had that many bodies in the box, and most of them were set pieces. the back 4 drew a line at 18 yards.

its funny how quick memory fades and perception changes, because i thought we were on the back foot more in the last 10, when most of that time were were in the mid-third even if they were in possession.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here