Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** Official England v France Thread *****

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think you're too easily discounting Sweden. Ibrahimovic, if motivated, is capable of causing problems for any defence in the world.

Perhaps, I was overly buoyed by our game yesterday. Ibra is quality I know. I still reckon we'll do em 1-0 though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That was the first England match in a major tournament I have enjoyed watching since Croatia in 2004.

Considering we are without our best attacking player and France are probably one of the strongest three or four teams in the competition, I thought we were BRILLIANT.

Give some warning if you're going to make a nice positive post mate - I nearly fell off my chair!

Agree though, it was enjoyable. Even if we'd lost I'd be very happy with the commitment and attitude from the players.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
That was the first England match in a major tournament I have enjoyed watching since Croatia in 2004.

Considering we are without our best attacking player and France are probably one of the strongest three or four teams in the competition, I thought we were BRILLIANT.

Are you okay?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
That's what I was hoping for.

One thing me and a mate noticed during the first is that, for the first time in a long, long time, we were playing like a club side. Was encouraging to see.

Exactly what me and my mates were saying. I think there's more of an acceptance from this side that they are going to have to work hard and work together to even get out of the group.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
he is the only Englishman for this job in truth. At last things look sensible and hopefully in time he will have drilled it into them that they are shit and that their only hope is to play his boring sensible way
Exactly! Roy will make the best out of what he's got, which isn't a lot.
For this particular tournament, I agree that Roy will play the style that's best for this particular group of players. But longer term we want to try and win a tournament, not just reminisce about the day we held on for a 1-1 draw with France. And that means building a team with more attacking skill.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For this particular tournament, I agree that Roy will play the style that's best for this particular group of players. But longer term we want to try and win a tournament, not just reminisce about the day we held on for a 1-1 draw with France. And that means building a team with more attacking skill.

And with young players like Wilshere, Cleverley, Welbeck, Sturridge, Ox and Walcott, no reason we can't be doing that in a few year's time. What we have RIGHT NOW is a very solid defence, and a young and inexperienced attack.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

This.

Regardless of how well we do in this tournament, the FA have missed in trick in not appointing a manager that can help re-shape English football from top to bottom

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This.

Regardless of how well we do in this tournament, the FA have missed in trick in not appointing a manager that can help re-shape English football from top to bottom

Why can't Roy be that man? Too old?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Considering the very brief time that Roy has had in the job, he's already done a remarkable job despite the media. He will build from this no matter how far we go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And with young players like Wilshere, Cleverley, Welbeck, Sturridge, Ox and Walcott, no reason we can't be doing that in a few year's time. What we have RIGHT NOW is a very solid defence, and a young and inexperienced attack.
Yes, but have we got the right manager to build a team for the future, making use of the talented young players that are coming through?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, but have we got the right manager to build a team for the future, making use of the talented young players that are coming through?

Certainly a better choice than 'Arry. Does Roy have a policy of not bringing through young players? I genuinely don't know.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Considering the very brief time that Roy has had in the job, he's already done a remarkable job
I agree. But it's not just about now.
Definitely not too old. But with our next generation of good players, will he have the skills to make them a tournament winning team?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree. But it's not just about now.
Definitely not too old. But with our next generation of good players, will he have the skills to make them a tournament winning team?

Who knows? Hopefully he will lay some really solid foundations then someone else will come in in about 4 years time to take them to the next level.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

Wrong philosophy. You only need to see how he has set his sides out at Fulham, Liverpool and West Brom to know that the emphasis is on defence rather than actually keeping possession of the ball and slick attacking play.

I love how he seems to galvanised us, but if we really want to push on and win things, we need a young talented manager with the right philosophy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does Roy have a policy of not bringing through young players? I genuinely don't know.
Clearly not, he just played Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - that's not what I mean. I mean our players are currently a bit shit, but in the future they could be better, and more capable of decent attacking football. Will he be able to change the tactics to suit that?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wrong philosophy. You only need to see how he has set his sides out at Fulham, Liverpool and West Brom to know that the emphasis is on defence rather than actually keeping possession of the ball and slick attacking play.

I love how he seems to galvanised us, but if we really want to push on and win things, we need a young talented manager with the right philosophy.

But we don't produce players that are capable of keeping hold of the ball, and creating 'slick attacking play.'

You see this at youth level, through grass roots and into most professional clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here