Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** Official England v France Thread *****

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
England are the new Scotland

I thought England played a bit like West Ham. Powerful when pressing and limiting France to long shots, but France also engineered a few chances by creative play. I fancy us to struggle against Sweden and muck it up against Ukraine. Three draws. Ashley Young looked well OK. We could come third or fourth in the table. France to beat Ukraine and Sweden to beat France. (revised text)

France 4 pts, Ukraine 4 pts, Sweden 4 pts, England 3 pts.

Last edited:

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I thought England played a bit like West Ham. Powerful when pressing and limiting France to long shots, but France also engineered a few chances by creative play. I fancy us to struggle against Sweden and muck it up against Ukraine. Three draws. Ashley Young looked well OK. We could come third or fourth in the table. Ukraine and France to draw and France to beat Sweden. Sweden to beat France.

France 4 pts, Ukraine 4 pts, Sweden 3 pts, England 3 pts.

If Sweden are drawing against us and beating France how are they only on 3 points? And if France drew against us and Ukraine and losing to Sweden they can't be on 4 as well. Back to wallchart and work it out again I think!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why? I would say international football management is definitely an older man's game. Look at all recent tournaments. Del Bosque is a saggy dinosaur but he's won the last World Cup and Euros, Lippi in 2006, Rehhagel in 2004, Scolari in 2002, Lemerre in 2000. Actually, has a young international manager EVER won anything?

How young is young for a manager? Alf Ramsay was 46.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The age thing is irrelevant actually. It's more to with football philosophy. It's no coincidence that the most successful club side are Barcelona and the most successful national side of recent times are Spain. There is clearly a lot to be said for that style of football.

What we ned is a manager to instill these philosophies at grass roots level as well. A young manager would be preferable because it is a long term job but as I said, age is actually an irrelevance.

As for not having the players, I do disagree a little bit. Look what Poyet did to a group of footballers who couldn't get rid of the ball quick enough. El-Abd is case in point.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The age thing is irrelevant actually. It's more to with football philosophy. It's no coincidence that the most successful club side are Barcelona and the most successful national side of recent times are Spain. There is clearly a lot to be said for that style of football.

But you're taking a snapshot. In 2004 you could've said Greece and Chelsea are the most successful, therefore we should play that way. And no, Barcelona weren't the most successful club side this year, and who's to say they will be next year?

I don't agree regarding the age thing either. Time and again it has shown an older, wiser head has prevailed at big tournaments, when a lot of pressure is on.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Sweden are drawing against us and beating France how are they only on 3 points? And if France drew against us and Ukraine and losing to Sweden they can't be on 4 as well. Back to wallchart and work it out again I think!

Quite right:

Ukraine 4 pts
Sweden 4 pts
France 4 pts
England 3 pts

All teams get a win and a draw except England. Typo. We are still last!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This was on twitter with the comment: "Johnson positional sense lets him down for the team photo"

600.gif

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
But you're taking a snapshot. In 2004 you could've said Greece and Chelsea are the most successful, therefore we should play that way. And no, Barcelona weren't the most successful club side this year, and who's to say they will be next year?

I don't agree regarding the age thing either. Time and again it has shown an older, wiser head has prevailed at big tournaments, when a lot of pressure is on.

It's a pretty decent snapshot. Other than AC Milan there hasn't been a period where one club has dominated the European Cup to the extent Barca have over the last few years. Why not try to replicate somehing that has been so succesful?

Greece & Chelsea are anomalies.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a pretty decent snapshot. Other than AC Milan there hasn't been a period where one club has dominated the European Cup to the extent Barca have over the last few years. Why not try to replicate somehing that has been so succesful?

Greece & Chelsea are anomalies.

And Denmark. And Inter. And Chelsea again. And many more.

By the time we get England playing great tika-taka (2034) Spain et al will have moved on again, and kept well ahead of us.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
And Denmark. And Inter. And Chelsea again. And many more.

By the time we get England playing great tika-taka (2034) Spain et al will have moved on again, and kept well ahead of us.

Keep the ball is never going to go out fashion.

Packing the midfield and feeding off scraps from a lone front man has.

Until we start producing players who are comfortable in possession we will win nothing. Parker is the only person in that side who looks like he will never lose the ball.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Keep the ball is never going to go out fashion.

Packing the midfield and feeding off scraps from a lone front man has.

Until we start producing players who are comfortable in possession we will win nothing. Parker is the only person in that side who looks like he will never lose the ball.

Parker won and then subsequently lost the ball in pretty much every tackle he attempted on Monday, as he never ever stays on his feet.

The general point you made was that we needed a young manager, and I along with others disagree. I'm not about to say tika-taka has failed, because it clearly hasn't, but to suggest it's either that or lump it old-fashioned style, is a nonsense. There's dozens of ways to play.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Germany are the future. They play like Spain on fast forward.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Until English players are taught TECHNIQUE properly we won't get anywhere, no matter what style of football we play.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Until English players are taught TECHNIQUE properly we won't get anywhere, no matter what style of football we play.

This. And it's not about trying to adapt to a style that doesn't suit our culture, it's cos we have a load of shitty, shouty coaches that don't know how to do their job.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I tip Germany with a mixture of strength and technique. I think Croatia might cause an upset.

England will have to up their attacking game considerably if we are to get through to the KO stages. If we reach the KO stages, I expect we will have to practice our penalties.

I think any team that is going to win a game is going to have to play two up front at least until they are in the lead. Ukraine have done this best so far, after they went behind. The two front men should have an instinctive understanding of the other strikers play.

This was missing at the Albion as well. Macca and ???. Agdestein ?

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
i thought we were awful

2 banks of 4 playing deeper and deeper as the game went on

like watching ericsson's england all over again

so negative,no zip or urgency,no creativity

if this is what's to come from hodgson,i fear for the WC qualifiers i really do

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Get behind the team , we know we have not go the best players and Roy Hodgson can't be blamed for this competition , he's only had a few weeks as England manager . We all have opinions and choice players but this is what we have got now so live with it and get behind the team.

The fans here in Ukraine are trying to support the team and Roy , this is what we got and we have to get on with it .

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Get behind the team , we know we have not go the best players and Roy Hodgson can't be blamed for this competition , he's only had a few weeks as England manager . We all have opinions and choice players but this is what we have got now so live with it and get behind the team.

The fans here in Ukraine are trying to support the team and Roy , this is what we got and we have to get on with it .

our players are as good as any team in this competition bar spain

it's the tactics,playing defensive and looking to nick games is not good enough

alright we might get beat,but have a f***ing go,eh!

it's the least those fans deserve going all that way

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
our players are as good as any team in this competition bar spain

it's the tactics,playing defensive and looking to nick games is not good enough

alright we might get beat,but have a f***ing go,eh!

it's the least those fans deserve going all that way

Perhaps that was our plan , first game and a draw against the French ain't bad , i agree though we should be more attacking against the Swedes and Ukraine . Bloody hot out here 34 deg today :cool: :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here