Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Where is the "Never been interested" bit ?

Ah, so you were being pedantic. The article is pretty clear.

. Albion will STILL not be heading back to Glasgow to sign Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard.

The Seagulls are at Ibrox this evening to play Rangers in pre-season.

A perennial link with Edouard resurfaced yesterday amid suggestions Albion had made an initial bid.

It is thought to be the fourth successive transfer window in which his name has been linked with the Seagulls.

But the message remains the same as ever.

A well-placed source said: “Reports that keep emerging are completely false.”

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ah, so you were being pedantic. The article is pretty clear.

. Albion will STILL not be heading back to Glasgow to sign Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard.

The Seagulls are at Ibrox this evening to play Rangers in pre-season.

A perennial link with Edouard resurfaced yesterday amid suggestions Albion had made an initial bid.

It is thought to be the fourth successive transfer window in which his name has been linked with the Seagulls.

But the message remains the same as ever.

A well-placed source said: “Reports that keep emerging are completely false.”
No not pedantic.

Just that "Never been interested" is not what has been reported anywhere.

Indeed, last summer an interest was confirmed.

The club are exceedingly precise about choosing their words on transfer business.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
To be honest, I’m not overly bothered about this one. He’s a good player, a slightly different option and has the potential to improve. However, I can’t help feeling the price is too high for us, as we now seemingly prefer smaller outlays for bigger returns.

That and my belief that we’ll ever get our striker search right has been shattered, especially by the ridiculous money we’ve blown on the likes of Locadia… Maupay in comparison has been an unbridled success. I’d always much rather we opted for a championship level player than players from inferior divisions and/or competitions… especially considering the fee.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
No not pedantic.

The club are exceedingly precise about choosing their words on transfer business.

The difference between STILL (in caps) not interested, alongside a reference to the previous 4 windows and ‘never been interested’ is, I’d argue, only one that would matter to a pedant. It means the same thing. He reported last summer we were interested (implied by ‘tracking for some time’) and now he’s saying that we’re STILL (in CAPs) not interested. So it’s inconsistent, whichever way you look at it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No not pedantic.

You were "looking" for the article that says we were never interested. This one clearly says we're not interested now, nor were we interested in the previous 4 windows. Who knows if it's true, but that's what it says.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You were "looking" for the article that says we were never interested. This one clearly says we're not interested now, nor were we interested in the previous 4 windows. Who knows if it's true, but that's what it says.
The article says we are STILL not signing him.

Well clearly we haven't signed him in the past so if we are not doing so now it is a fact.

It also says that false reports keep appearing and that this is the same message as before.

I don't see that the clever wording from the club source means that we have never been interested.

I thought there was new information out there in this respect that I hadn't seen :shrug:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Classic NSC to argue over the precise wording of the article. If we are to sign a striker at all this window I think it's pretty clear it won't be him

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The article says we are STILL not signing him.

Well clearly we haven't signed him in the past so if we are not doing so now it is a fact.

It also says that false reports keep appearing and that this is the same message as before.

I don't see that the clever wording from the club source means that we have never been interested.

I thought there was new information out there in this respect that I hadn't seen :shrug:

It's not surprising that the article gave the impression that we've never been interested, is it?

Screenshot 2021-07-25 10.46.43 AM.png

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Our current striker options must really be limited for people to so desperately cling on to the forlorn hope that we might be signing a fairly average striker from the MTL who clearly isn’t joining us! [emoji23]
Indeed. Maybe controversial but I am fairly relaxed about our striking options. You are not going to guarantee 15 goals a season unless you fork out 50m and break the wage structure, so any signing is always a gamble.

The people excited and hoping we get this bloke are mad - as if signing from Scotland's second best team that have been utter gash in Europe for most of his time there is somehow a step up from signing from the Dutch, Belgian or Austrian leagues.

Our problems in front of goal are not entirely down to the lack of a 15 goal striker, plenty of others missed chances. I would be happy enough to start with a fit again Andone, Maupay with another season of experience and a rejuvenated Welbeck. Much better that than jizz another £17m on someone as shit as Locadia or (and I get no pleasure from saying this) Ali J.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Thought there were a couple in the first half that we didn’t use the ball well enough when Rangers were open.

Second half there literally wasn’t one until Andone created a quarter chance himself at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need a striker that would make the Connolly chance a certain a goal as the one Hagi scored,

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Indeed. Maybe controversial but I am fairly relaxed about our striking options. You are not going to guarantee 15 goals a season unless you fork out 50m and break the wage structure, so any signing is always a gamble.

The people excited and hoping we get this bloke are mad - as if signing from Scotland's second best team that have been utter gash in Europe for most of his time there is somehow a step up from signing from the Dutch, Belgian or Austrian leagues.

Our problems in front of goal are not entirely down to the lack of a 15 goal striker, plenty of others missed chances. I would be happy enough to start with a fit again Andone, Maupay with another season of experience and a rejuvenated Welbeck. Much better that than jizz another £17m on someone as shit as Locadia or (and I get no pleasure from saying this) Ali J.

Really?, another season of struggle without a striker imo - Andone n Maupay not up to it imo

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

This

Totally agree

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The only bit I disagree with here is that forking out £50m won't guarantee 15 goals a season

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Agreed. As long as Welbeck stays fit we'll be fine. How did he get on yesterday?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Agreed. As long as Welbeck stays fit we'll be fine. How did he get on yesterday?

Welbs was not fit! The complacency of you and your mate is frankly, laughable. And if you watched the game yesterday, or any last season, you would know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here