Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
we seem to have rocketed up the league pyramid.

Yeah, of course we have. -1 place from 1st season in PL, sounds like a North Korean rocket to me. And yes, of course it was shite in Withdean days and look how far we have come, blah, blah, blah.

Fact is that we have spent 4 seasons in bottom 6; dunno about you but I quite fancy smashing that glass ceiling. That wont happen with current strikers unless one has a Lazarus conversion. People are not getting that our Xg to actual goals scored gap is THE thing that is stopping us getting 55+ points; implication is a calculated punt on some one who might help us seems like a good idea.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Yeah, of course we have. -1 place from 1st season in PL, sounds like a North Korean rocket to me. And yes, of course it was shite in Withdean days and look how far we have come, blah, blah, blah.

Fact is that we have spent 4 seasons in bottom 6; dunno about you but I quite fancy smashing that glass ceiling. That wont happen with current strikers unless one has a Lazarus conversion. People are not getting that our Xg to actual goals scored gap is THE thing that is stopping us getting 55+ points; implication is a calculated punt on some one who might help us seems like a good idea.

Locadia was a calculated punt.

Look what happened with him!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

When I say we have rocketed up the league, I'm talking about from league 1 to the Premier League and now to a point where we are 9/1 to be relegated from that.

People are absolutely getting that xG v actual goals is the problem, but what you're NOT getting is that signing a striker like this bloke from Celtic is highly unlikely to be the solution to that problem and I've already explained why I believe that is the case.

As for "calculated punt", how is Eduardo that then? How is he calculated to be any better than Locadia or Ali J, never mind our actual strikers who are better than that?

mike1901

May 12, 2017
If only we could land ourselves with a marquee centre forward. It’s the hope that kills you. Three weeks to the season starts & we are relying on the same as last season. Yippee another 5th season being bottom 6?

Come on BHA hierarchy - bring us that striker

Here Here

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If only we could land ourselves with a marquee centre forward. It’s the hope that kills you. Three weeks to the season starts & we are relying on the same as last season. Yippee another 5th season being bottom 6?

Come on BHA hierarchy - bring us that striker
As the self proclaimed richest person on NSC we are all looking forward to you signing him for us.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Don't think he is the guy we are or should be after. Also don't think going into next season with Welbz, Andone, Zeqiri, Maupay & Connolly is an option. It's nice not to be in the same boat as the 'WAAAH WE NEED TO SIGN A 20 GOAL A SEASON STRIKER' camp (naming no names) though, I'm not panicking as I know Tony, Winstanley, Ashworth, Barbs and Potter have their fingers on the pulse and know an absolute shiteload more than I do. It'll work out alright.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Ha. As said Brian Owen is our best ITK but we can’t take his word as gospel. That’s now two sources so it looks like there may be some smoke to this.

(Or the journalist is re-purposing the original tweet).

Regurgitation of the same crap. Nothing new at all in that article. The DM 'understands' we'll make an offer after Weds.

Must ask Ashworth not to keep phoning the press to tell them when we will make offers and for how much.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Regurgitation of the same crap. Nothing new at all in that article. The DM 'understands' we'll make an offer after Weds.

Must ask Ashworth not to keep phoning the press to tell them when we will make offers and for how much.

Could be. Could well be.

However the Champions League proviso seems like new info so there is that.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The article claims that Celtic are after a winger, holding midfielder and centre back.

When PSG are looking to take a big % cut of the sale, a PX deal would certainly benefit Celtic?

We have some players that could do very well in Scotchland who might not be getting so many minutes with the Albion.

Winger - Tau
Holding midfielder - Molumby
Centre back - Østigård

One or two of these might end up as part of the deal? Much better options than having James McArthur thrust on them by Palace?

In or out, the club will deny everything with such high competition for this lad.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It's not a question of complacency, it's a question of practicality. It's all very well you talking like we absolutely have to have a striker but you've spent your NSC life moaning about needing to spend money on this person or that, and yet somehow without you spending someone else's money we seem to have rocketed up the league pyramid. Forgive me if I don't your accusations of complacency seriously, because you come across as someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Sorry.

How would getting another striker in solve us missing two penalities in one game, or hitting the woodwork five times in one game? It probably wouldn't even solve the issue of us having an xG three times higher than actual goals every game.

You see your arguments show YOU are wrong. I made zero criticism of our striker recruitment BEFORE Muzza started to get too old, i.e. we were already in the Prem. But we KNEW he was slowly declining and we did **** all about it. Nothing. Unless you count the inept signing of Locadia of course.

And your last paragraph makes you look even more idiotic. Of course the xG would be impacted positively IF WE GET THE RIGHT STRIKER IN. If he is good at pens, then he might help us to avoid missing two pens in one game. As for hitting the woodwork, well, good strikers find the net, not the frame of the goal consistently.

So you clearly are talking sh1t. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

This is EXACTLY correct. The moronic ‘head in sand’ posts of some on here is astonishing. Complacency. Naivety. Stupidity.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Locadia was a calculated punt.

Look what happened with him!!

So we should not sign a striker because of that **** up a few years ago!? Total BS by you Frank. Sorry.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
When I say we have rocketed up the league, I'm talking about from league 1 to the Premier League and now to a point where we are 9/1 to be relegated from that.

People are absolutely getting that xG v actual goals is the problem, but what you're NOT getting is that signing a striker like this bloke from Celtic is highly unlikely to be the solution to that problem and I've already explained why I believe that is the case.

As for "calculated punt", how is Eduardo that then? How is he calculated to be any better than Locadia or Ali J, never mind our actual strikers who are better than that?

You tw@ts cannot have it both ways:

1. “We cannot spend too much on a proven Prem striker.”
And
2. “We cannot take a calculated risk on a foreign league of Championship striker, because we will likely fail.”

Given the state of football and the Albion’s finances, it has to be option 2. Suck it up. It MUST happen.

Oh, and please do tell oh mighty genius, how would you solve our xG problem? Rely on Connolly being another year older? Praying that Welbs stays fit? Maupay does a Lazarus? Andone miraculously returns from injury a better player? Buy another CB? What exactly is a better idea than investing in the position where we are failing to deliver? I am all ears!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here