Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Get him in. We will not spend the money required to sign the next tier of striker, or allow those kind of wages.

He's the right age and does have good experience playing in the CL and in a physical SPL. He will provide a better level of competition for Maupay when Welbeck is unavailable.

Connolly out on loan too please.

Thank you Tony.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can we get the thread back on track and stick to Edouard as I still have a small hope…!

I’m 90% sure it’s the agent from Celtics end or just BS and Owen & Naylor will be the ones to listen to. But I’d LOVE to be wrong as this guy would be good imo. Just don’t buy the express and mails weird ramblings - waiting til Weds to bid?!?!! Seems like utter nonsense. On the other hand maybe the Albion have told the Argus the truth ish, ie they’ve not bid, and will then make their move. Seems odd there’s been constant links with us and even the Argus / Naylor have linked an interest before - now saying ‘still no interest’ - somethings not adding up somewhere.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Get him in. We will not spend the money required to sign the next tier of striker, or allow those kind of wages.

He's the right age and does have good experience playing in the CL and in a physical SPL. He will provide a better level of competition for Maupay when Welbeck is unavailable.

Thank you Tony.

A loan at Celtic would do him / us good.

Undermines our partnerships though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
I haven't read this whole thread, so my point might have already been made, but, I've a feeling about Maupay this season. I was as frustrated as anyone on this board with his lack of finishing prowess last season, but this time I think he'll have a much better season. He was missing sitters this time he won't. Please feel free to bounce this when I'm way off!!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
we need a new striker rumour .( with substance )

Frustrating seeing this up the top every time log in

Eurgh tell me about it. This smacks of being a transfer rumour that everyone has latched on to because they desperately want it o be true, despite all the evidence to the contrary

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Can we get the thread back on track and stick to Edouard as I still have a small hope…!

I’m 90% sure it’s the agent from Celtics end or just BS and Owen & Naylor will be the ones to listen to. But I’d LOVE to be wrong as this guy would be good imo. Just don’t buy the express and mails weird ramblings - waiting til Weds to bid?!?!! Seems like utter nonsense. On the other hand maybe the Albion have told the Argus the truth ish, ie they’ve not bid, and will then make their move. Seems odd there’s been constant links with us and even the Argus / Naylor have linked an interest before - now saying ‘still no interest’ - somethings not adding up somewhere.

Yes, it seems bizarre to have apparently indicated that you're going to make a bid, but be waiting until after a particular match before making it. I could understand the PLAYER saying he might not want to move if Celtic got through to the Champions League - but there's actually another round to go anyway....so why not wait until mid-August if that's the case?!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I haven't read this whole thread, so my point might have already been made, but, I've a feeling about Maupay this season. I was as frustrated as anyone on this board with his lack of finishing prowess last season, but this time I think he'll have a much better season. He was missing sitters this time he won't. Please feel free to bounce this when I'm way off!!

I truely admire you optimism, but there's no chance of this happening. :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It suits the albion very well to have this smokescreen smoking away while they pursue their real target - which I suspect is a Czech striker at Bayer Leverkusen.

Even if it isn't him, I wouldn't be surprised if a new striker is announced on the same day Ben White leaves.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Thank you Tony.

Yes - great move.

If you're playing Football Manager on your phone or laptop, that is. We pay over the odds for a striker (any striker) but that's fine, because we've just rousered oodles for Ben White. We've got a striker I don't like or rate so we lend him out to Celtic as part of the deal. They'll be happy to take him, and he'll score loads because it's a monkey tennis league up there. Moves completed, press 'play' and continue .................................

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In the absence of any other decent striker rumours, I shall attempt to keep hope alive on this one.

We had no interest in Andone at £25M, but were very much interested at £5M. Perhaps Edouard's contract makes his acquisition easier if there is no Champions League football at Celtic, or maybe it would just make a deal at a lower fee more acceptable to Celtic.

I also think, that as a club we would be very respectful of the situation they are in with CL qualification, and with that in mind, if a reporter comes asking about Brightons interest, it would be at the very least, disrespectful to Celtic to confirm it ahead of that, if we have agreed to wait until after.

If we announced, "only interested if Celtic fail to qualify". It would not be good for Albion/Celtic relations, could be seen as incentivising their player to not score in their qualifier, and therefore would not help a deal go through. It also may be that we have agreed with Celtic to chill any reports of our interest, because they want him focused on their qualifier, not thinking about avoiding injury.

At the very least, the transfer fee for him is not going to get less if we piss off Celtic by unsettling their player ahead of a Champions League Qualifier, and if it was me fielding calls from Naylor and Owen, I would be happy to make them look silly instead of paying two or three million quid more in transfer fee, or being priced out completely. Sod it, I might even bung them each £10k by way of an apology afterwards.

Holding on to this, at least till Thursday morning.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Yes - great move.

If you're playing Football Manager on your phone or laptop, that is. We pay over the odds for a striker (any striker) but that's fine, because we've just rousered oodles for Ben White. We've got a striker I don't like or rate so we lend him out to Celtic as part of the deal. They'll be happy to take him, and he'll score loads because it's a monkey tennis league up there. Moves completed, press 'play' and continue .................................

Thanks, yes win win for all but wouldn't send Connolly to the SPL as you suggest although it's a slightly higher standard than monkeys.

Championship would be a better loan for Aaron, unless of course we get no one else in up top then we'll need him as cover.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
We may never know, but lots of people underestimating Edouard and overestimating our current forwards imho. He’d be an upgrade on all except maybe Welbeck, and I don’t see Welbeck as an out and out #9 so the two could be great together. The fact Rodgers wanted/wants him, having managed him before, is quite telling. He’s faster and a better ball striker than Maupay (though my 2 year old also connects with the ball cleaner than Maupay). People blinded by the Scottish league thing, but decent players have come from there Van Dijk, Tierney, Robertson, Dembele, McGinn, all came from there. May not happen with us, but I think he’ll be a decent striker who gets 10-15 goals a season in a top half side in a top division somewhere, whether it’s Eng, Fra, Spa, Ger or Ita.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Eurgh tell me about it. This smacks of being a transfer rumour that everyone has latched on to because they desperately want it o be true, despite all the evidence to the contrary

Read further up thread. We now have two journalists reporting our interest and along with that allegedly one of the most reliable Celtic ITKs saying we are making a move.

Myself I have no idea of the truth. However you may wish to disbelieve all of the above which is entirely your right. But it’s incorrect to say “all the evidence to the contrary” (that sole evidence being Naylor and Owen).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Read further up thread. We now have two journalists reporting our interest and along with that allegedly one of the most reliable Celtic ITKs saying we are making a move.

Myself I have no idea of the truth. However you may wish to disbelieve all of the above which is entirely your right. But it’s incorrect to say “all the evidence to the contrary” (that sole evidence being Naylor and Owen).

It's possibly better phrased as "absence of evidence to the fact". It may well come off, I hope it does, but my cynicism comes from years of rubbish links created by one or two so called "ITK" people (including journalists) spewing out clickbait. I genuinely hope I'm proved wrong but as always until there's a picture of him in the shirt or (at worst) confirmed noises coming out from our side about our intent, there will be several pinches of salt taken with these rumours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here