Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This is my post, connection possibly being he signs for Arsenal Wednesday then may be we put in a bid for Edouard the same day. 👍

Sorry but just no… not how transfers or money work..!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's possibly better phrased as "absence of evidence to the fact". It may well come off, I hope it does, but my cynicism comes from years of rubbish links created by one or two so called "ITK" people (including journalists) spewing out clickbait. I genuinely hope I'm proved wrong but as always until there's a picture of him in the shirt or (at worst) confirmed noises coming out from our side about our intent, there will be several pinches of salt taken with these rumours.

Unfortunately I agree. So so so much bullshit out there these days. Agents / social media accounts / guessing journos wanting clicks, all make it harder. At least we rarely have the ‘I’m ITK’ posts on NSC these days as it’s very tight lipped and seagull wedgee has stopped in the main :lol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sorry but just no… not how transfers or money work..!

You don't think any bids/signings are dependent on other signings? We can't count on Ben White transfer money until the contract is signed, and therefore we may have substantially less money to spend, or different priorities depending on if it goes through or not.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You don't think any bids/signings are dependent on other signings? We can't count on Ben White transfer money until the contract is signed, and therefore we may have substantially less money to spend, or different priorities depending on if it goes through or not.
One is not dependent on the other at all! If Celtic want £20M for Edouard, and if we want him, TB could write a cheque for £20M now, regardless of the White sale going through. Whether he wants to, or is willing to, is up to him, of course.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One is not dependent on the other at all! If Celtic want £20M for Edouard, and if we want him, TB could write a cheque for £20M now, regardless of the White sale going through. Whether he wants to, or is willing to, is up to him, of course.

If Ben White sale does not go through, there is less money, but also less interest in signing a new CB, without knowing the clubs budget, targets, and priorities, it is not possible to say what is dependent on what with the certainty that you are using at the start of your post. When you state "Whether he wants to or is willing to" is placing it back into the realms of maybe.

Make your mind up whether you agree with me, in that the budget for incoming transfer fees and player wages will be affected by outgoing sales and reduction in wages, or you disagree, and the club will buy whoever we want to regardless of transfers out and at what fee, and structure they actually occur.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's possibly better phrased as "absence of evidence to the fact". It may well come off, I hope it does, but my cynicism comes from years of rubbish links created by one or two so called "ITK" people (including journalists) spewing out clickbait. I genuinely hope I'm proved wrong but as always until there's a picture of him in the shirt or (at worst) confirmed noises coming out from our side about our intent, there will be several pinches of salt taken with these rumours.

There does seem to be a little bit of smoke with this one. But it is good to be cynical.

Ultimately we’ll never really know what goes on in terms of enquiries to clubs, players agents etc.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Agree. Given that we had a bid accepted for Gonzalez, but the player rejected us for Fiorentina… and this was way before the Ben White deal, we appear to have money for the right player when available.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

We have money - we were trying to sign that argie bloke for 20m - we won’t be basing it on Ben white sale at this present time - again it seems amateur guess work from journos for me. And it’s not paid all at once it’s instalments usually.

Ah others have beat me to it I see - thank goodness :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Agree. Given that we had a bid accepted for Gonzalez, but the player rejected us for Fiorentina… and this was way before the Ben White deal, we appear to have money for the right player when available.

Gonzalez signed for Fiorentina 23 June. Since then we've signed Mwepu (06 July) and Scherpen (17 July). The combined fee for that pair was similar to the fee reported as bid for Gonzalez. Basically, we've spent the Gonzalez money already.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Reading the Celtic forums, it's seems they want shot of him and it appears his heart isn't in it anymore up there.

Time to move on and start somewhere fresh to re-ignite the spark ??

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Gonzalez signed for Fiorentina 23 June. Since then we've signed Mwepu (06 July) and Scherpen (17 July). The combined fee for that pair was similar to the fee reported as bid for Gonzalez. Basically, we've spent the Gonzalez money already.

And the Nunez money the year before? I think we generally have money for the right player should they become available.

Even so, we’ve now recouped a fair amount of cash and wages for departing squad players plus the £50m + Ben White windfall.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve got a hunch Celtic have an eye of young Molumby. That is maybe slowing the whole process down as you need about 4 sets of agents to agree the deal; very difficult to achieve.

Anyway, it’s in their interest to tip off the local rags about our confidential enquiry for Edouard because they want a bidding war. The club have told Naylor & Owen there has not been a bid, that’s probably true but I imagine that there have been plenty of conversations along the lines of ‘if we bid £10m plus give you Molumby, would that work or do we need to rethink?’.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We have money - we were trying to sign that argie bloke for 20m - we won’t be basing it on Ben white sale at this present time - again it seems amateur guess work from journos for me. And it’s not paid all at once it’s instalments usually.

Ah others have beat me to it I see - thank goodness :lol:

Maybe so, but you stated "thats not how transfers and money works" as if it was always, and will always, be the case that players in, is not dependent on players out. It might also be the other way round, that if the Ben White deal goes through, there is a player at a price above Edouards fee that we go in for, in which case, there will be no offer for Edouard, but if Ben White deal falls through, he might be the best we can afford.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Maybe so, but you stated "thats not how transfers and money works" as if it was always, and will always, be the case that players in, is not dependent on players out. It might also be the other way round, that if the Ben White deal goes through, there is a player at a price above Edouards fee that we go in for, in which case, there will be no offer for Edouard, but if Ben White deal falls through, he might be the best we can afford.

I meant at our level - should’ve added that. Sure plenty of bids are put in for players without having that physical amount of money in the bank everywhere though. Point is we aren’t waiting for money to clear into our bank to then make a bid as the Mail suggest perhaps - that’s mental talk.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Ben White sale does not go through, there is less money, but also less interest in signing a new CB, without knowing the clubs budget, targets, and priorities, it is not possible to say what is dependent on what with the certainty that you are using at the start of your post. When you state "Whether he wants to or is willing to" is placing it back into the realms of maybe.

Make your mind up whether you agree with me, in that the budget for incoming transfer fees and player wages will be affected by outgoing sales and reduction in wages, or you disagree, and the club will buy whoever we want to regardless of transfers out and at what fee, and structure they actually occur.
The club will buy whoever GP and the recruitment team want, regardless of transfers out, if Uncle Tony agrees to pay it (he absolutely can, but will only do so if he thinks it a good idea). Nothing to do with selling White. If we sell White, the balance sheet will look better, and that is all.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I meant at our level - should’ve added that. Sure plenty of bids are put in for players without having that physical amount of money in the bank everywhere though. Point is we aren’t waiting for money to clear into our bank to then make a bid as the Mail suggest perhaps - that’s mental talk.

Mental? That's out and out head-banging mental!

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I’ve got a hunch Celtic have an eye of young Molumby..

If Molumby (or any other player for that matter) has an ounce of sense he won't go near the basket-case that is Celtic.

As for Edouard - don't think he is good enough - or really any better than what Brighton have at the moment. But the nature of the game is that you keep plugging away in the hope of hitting with a PL striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here