Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I meant at our level - should’ve added that. Sure plenty of bids are put in for players without having that physical amount of money in the bank everywhere though. Point is we aren’t waiting for money to clear into our bank to then make a bid as the Mail suggest perhaps - that’s mental talk.

Most transfer fees are made on the basis of staged payments - it is better for the clubs balance sheets - and in many cases the staged payments are renegotiated over time. I think I read somewhere last week that the delay in White's transfer to Arsenal was over how much Arsenal were paying upfront.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If Molumby (or any other player for that matter) has an ounce of sense he won't go near the basket-case that is Celtic.

As for Edouard - don't think he is good enough - or really any better than what Brighton have at the moment. But the nature of the game is that you keep plugging away in the hope of hitting with a PL striker.

I'm certain that our transfer strategy for any player £10m+ will be that they offer a better option than we currently have available. There is no point in signing another striker to compete with Maupay, Connolly, Andone, Zeqiri. We will either bring in a player of greater quality or stick with what we have. This transfer window has been all about reduce the squad size and we will be adding quality or developing youngsters moving forward

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
If Molumby (or any other player for that matter) has an ounce of sense he won't go near the basket-case that is Celtic.

As for Edouard - don't think he is good enough - or really any better than what Brighton have at the moment. But the nature of the game is that you keep plugging away in the hope of hitting with a PL striker.

This has the feel of the board luring Palace into a bidding war before ducking out leaving them footing a bigger bill. I don't think it makes sense for us to pay £20mil for an unproven PL striker in the final year of his contract.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Most transfer fees are made on the basis of staged payments - it is better for the clubs balance sheets - and in many cases the staged payments are renegotiated over time. I think I read somewhere last week that the delay in White's transfer to Arsenal was over how much Arsenal were paying upfront.

Where have you heard that many transfer fees are renegotiated?

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
This has the feel of the board luring Palace into a bidding war before ducking out leaving them footing a bigger bill. I don't think it makes sense for us to pay £20mil for an unproven PL striker in the final year of his contract.

One of the more dafter conspiracy theories I’ve read.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Really surprised some don’t see him as a serious upgrade on Maupay.

Jul 25, 2021
Really surprised some don’t see him as a serious upgrade on Maupay.

I don't see him as an upgrade. I see him as more of a natural finisher than Maupay. IMO Maupay's strengths are what he does outside the box. He's distribution is heavily underrated and his hold up play is very good for a small(ish) guy plus he has a bit of bite which can come in handy when we're playing Sideshow Bob lookalikes. I think Maupay isn't a lone striker and that's what's caused him to look out of his depth at times for us. He needs to play behind someone and Edouard could be the perfect edition from the little I've seen. A Celtic friend raves about him and thinks he's definitely good enough for us. Fingers crossed.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
No conspiracy theory- you’ll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you seriously think the club would waste valuable resources (people, time, money) to come up with a plan that involves pursuing a striker in an attempt to entice Palace to bid for him too. And then having done so, we withdraw out interest leaving them to buy him.

Surely the club has enough in its plate with recruiting and offloading players whilst also getting prepared for the covid season ahead than worry itself with a hare brained scheme like you’ve just come up with.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Do you seriously think the club would waste valuable resources (people, time, money) to come up with a plan that involves pursuing a striker in an attempt to entice Palace to bid for him too. And then having done so, we withdraw out interest leaving them to buy him.

Surely the club has enough in its plate with recruiting and offloading players whilst also getting prepared for the covid season ahead than worry itself with a hare brained scheme like you’ve just come up with.

Look at this another way, if we are funding an clandestine espionage department I don’t see our transfer budget being an issue

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
[tweet]1419733304698408967[/tweet]

Romano is a blagger. The guy supports Watford because it was the team he played mostly on FIFA when he was a teenager. He is no more a football man than the sycophantic kids who follow him and support teams thousands of miles away from their Middle Eastern homes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And the Nunez money the year before? I think we generally have money for the right player should they become available.

Even so, we’ve now recouped a fair amount of cash and wages for departing squad players plus the £50m + Ben White windfall.

I think we kissed goodbye to that money to part-fund our losses last season.

The bottom line is - post-Covid - if we sign a striker it will be with additional money, provided Tony is prepared to stump up. The club doesn't have any money, it's all Tony's.

He owes us nothing and, boy, am I grateful for what he has done for this club. Personally, I would be prepared to sell Biss for £40mill if it meant we brought in Edouard and Cucurella. Sure, Biss will leave a hole but I'd rather take my chances rather than have a repeat of last season xG nightmare.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings

Palace are a rival. Finances are a way to impact a club’s success. Edouard has been linked with Brighton for a few windows now yet we have not tabled a bid. Palace have a link to the player plus they have a French coach. Should I continue?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Palace are a rival. Finances are a way to impact a club’s success. Edouard has been linked with Brighton for a few windows now yet we have not tabled a bid. Palace have a link to the player plus they have a French coach. Should I continue?

Insanity, we are the club that quiver at anything over £20m not Palace.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

We’ve scouted him for years. We want to sign him, I’m sure of that. This is nuts. He would improve Palace undoubtedly.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think we kissed goodbye to that money to part-fund our losses last season.

The bottom line is - post-Covid - if we sign a striker it will be with additional money, provided Tony is prepared to stump up. The club doesn't have any money, it's all Tony's.

He owes us nothing and, boy, am I grateful for what he has done for this club. Personally, I would be prepared to sell Biss for £40mill if it meant we brought in Edouard and Cucurella. Sure, Biss will leave a hole but I'd rather take my chances rather than have a repeat of last season xG nightmare.
Are you forgetting the £100m plus of TV money that rolls in every season ???

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Fully Behind naylor/Owen. Guess monitoring but not strong interest. No way would we pay £20m for someone out of contract in 11 months. Just bid £10m and let him hand a transfer request in.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
When I say we have rocketed up the league, I'm talking about from league 1 to the Premier League and now to a point where we are 9/1 to be relegated from that.

People are absolutely getting that xG v actual goals is the problem, but what you're NOT getting is that signing a striker like this bloke from Celtic is highly unlikely to be the solution to that problem and I've already explained why I believe that is the case.

As for "calculated punt", how is Eduardo that then? How is he calculated to be any better than Locadia or Ali J, never mind our actual strikers who are better than that?

I suppose you can start with the fact that Edouard has scored 53 goals in 87 appearances for Celtic. Locadia scored 45 goals on 128 appearances for PSV prior to moving to Brighton; Andone 18 in 66 for Deportivo. And yes of course the standard of opposition is different. We dont know the algorithms Ashworth and team use but we have to sort of trust something otherwise any transfer in will be a NO.

All academic now as seems Palace in the hunt. They will pay whatever it takes so he's as good as theirs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here