Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Welbs was not fit! The complacency of you and your mate is frankly, laughable. And if you watched the game yesterday, or any last season, you would know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit harsh BW and I’m hopeful Welbeck will play a useful role this season. But come off it - do you really think club haven’t noticed that a striker upgrade is a priority ?
Who on earth is going round bidding for strikers behind Potters back if not. ?
(And not buying the first striker we are “linked” to doesn’t imply we’re not in the market for one either).

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Indeed. Maybe controversial but I am fairly relaxed about our striking options. You are not going to guarantee 15 goals a season unless you fork out 50m and break the wage structure, so any signing is always a gamble.

The people excited and hoping we get this bloke are mad - as if signing from Scotland's second best team that have been utter gash in Europe for most of his time there is somehow a step up from signing from the Dutch, Belgian or Austrian leagues.

Our problems in front of goal are not entirely down to the lack of a 15 goal striker, plenty of others missed chances. I would be happy enough to start with a fit again Andone, Maupay with another season of experience and a rejuvenated Welbeck. Much better that than jizz another £17m on someone as shit as Locadia or (and I get no pleasure from saying this) Ali J.

Worth adding that Welbeck notched up 0.35 goals/game last season - ie, just over 13 for a full season. He cost circa £2m (if I understand things right, he bought out his contract at Watford, and we reimbursed him). Ollie Watson cost Villa £25m+, and his scoring rate/match is marginally above Welbeck's (14/season). Timo Werner cost £50m and had a record of one goal in five last season (7 for the full season). Obviously if you pay more, you should get more, but it's a bit of a lottery. There's lots of money to be lost by spending big on a striker.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
What are the odds that a rival lower mid table PL sign him and he scores 8 -10 before Xmas?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Indeed. Maybe controversial but I am fairly relaxed about our striking options. You are not going to guarantee 15 goals a season unless you fork out 50m and break the wage structure, so any signing is always a gamble.

The people excited and hoping we get this bloke are mad - as if signing from Scotland's second best team that have been utter gash in Europe for most of his time there is somehow a step up from signing from the Dutch, Belgian or Austrian leagues.

Our problems in front of goal are not entirely down to the lack of a 15 goal striker, plenty of others missed chances. I would be happy enough to start with a fit again Andone, Maupay with another season of experience and a rejuvenated Welbeck. Much better that than jizz another £17m on someone as shit as Locadia or (and I get no pleasure from saying this) Ali J.

Let me see, strikers that Celtic have had recently. Henrik Larsson, Viduca, Moussa Dembele
Oh and that Van Dijk chap managed the step up to the Premier league without too many problems.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We need a striker that would make the Connolly chance a certain a goal as the one Hagi scored,

Couldn’t agree more.

I still feel we need a pacer physical presence, although Maupay isn’t bad at protecting the ball, we need somebody with Murray like ability from that perspective.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Let me see, strikers that Celtic have had recently. Henrik Larsson, Viduca, Moussa Dembele
Oh and that Van Dijk chap managed the step up to the Premier league without too many problems.

They had Henrik Larsson as recently as we had Leon Knight

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I believe the only footage available of Viduca playing for Celtic is in black and white.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The days of Viduka and Larson at Celtic were a completely different era for Scottish football. The standard has definitely diminished since Rangers went bust 10 years ago.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Worth adding that Welbeck notched up 0.35 goals/game last season - ie, just over 13 for a full season. He cost circa £2m (if I understand things right, he bought out his contract at Watford, and we reimbursed him). Ollie Watson cost Villa £25m+, and his scoring rate/match is marginally above Welbeck's (14/season). Timo Werner cost £50m and had a record of one goal in five last season (7 for the full season). Obviously if you pay more, you should get more, but it's a bit of a lottery. There's lots of money to be lost by spending big on a striker.

All his goals were from open play too.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
He missed 7 games (out of 32) due to injury last season.

I also think Welbeck would be best playing left of a front 3, if we had a proper #9. It’s his best position, versus playing centrally, and where he’s played most his career (including with England). Signing a striker could be a big benefit to our existing players (I’m convinced Maupay would be better playing off a front man, Baldock style, as well).

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Welbs was not fit! The complacency of you and your mate is frankly, laughable. And if you watched the game yesterday, or any last season, you would know that.

I was being ironic you tool.

Obviously we all know know we need a striker and the fact Danny couldn't play yesterday was obviously of concern. Like everyone I'm hoping we'll find a gem in the next 5 weeks.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's not a question of complacency, it's a question of practicality. It's all very well you talking like we absolutely have to have a striker but you've spent your NSC life moaning about needing to spend money on this person or that, and yet somehow without you spending someone else's money we seem to have rocketed up the league pyramid. Forgive me if I don't your accusations of complacency seriously, because you come across as someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Sorry.

How would getting another striker in solve us missing two penalities in one game, or hitting the woodwork five times in one game? It probably wouldn't even solve the issue of us having an xG three times higher than actual goals every game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here