Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I dont think that's completely fair. All he is is a journalist with sources, like many others. His particular sources are inside the Brighton camp, and he'll report what he heard from them. If they give him nothing about White, then he has nothing to report other than what he's read himself. If Ornstein and Sky sports have contacts inside Arsenal, they'll report what they're told.

Expecting more than this, expecting Naylor to be an inside - man at Brighton and every other club as well, is very unrealistic. But he is a source of truth about Brighton, or so far as they give him the truth. And the more loyal he is to them, the more likely he is to receive the truth - and only him. Which means that even if you can't 100% trust Naylor, you certainly can't trust anyone else. Remember that all those 'Naylor said no' s are off the back of somebody else falsely saying yes.

For whatever reason, Brighton have confirmed nothing about the sale of White yet. That's the prerogative of our club, and I'll back them on that. Beating up Naylor about it is rather harsh.

As said, maybe I didn’t make it clear. it’s not my intention to beat the guy up. It’s nothing to do with his journalistic creds, his writing, or his fine opinion pieces. That’s all good content.

I’m just saying I wouldn’t rely on him for breaking news. I don’t really think he’s a source of truth for the club. Brian Owen I think has more tangible direct contacts and I give his word a bit more credence. Even then he will only pass on what the club want him to.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Going back a while, but here is an example. https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/13360921.talking-point-tomer-a-better-bet-for-albion-than-bobby/

Rumours were around that the club were looking to bring back Bobby, but there had been before, and this was a month before he was actually announced, so maybe forgivable, and maybe more evidence of his opinion not having any more weight than anyone elses, than of his lack of an inside track.
It's this style of, "fans are stupid, listen to me", opinion piece, that is one of the reasons I have little time for him though.

Other no's have since occurred but I can't recall which players now.

Me too. He seems to have a lot of contempt for us fans and is very sneering.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
As said, maybe I didn’t make it clear. it’s not my intention to beat the guy up. It’s nothing to do with his journalistic creds, his writing, or his fine opinion pieces. That’s all good content.

I’m just saying I wouldn’t rely on him for breaking news. I don’t really think he’s a source of truth for the club. Brian Owen I think has more tangible direct contacts and I give his word a bit more credence. Even then he will only pass on what the club want him to.

My remaining hope there’s something in this is that Owen has not said anything yet, and he did say last summer we’d been tracking Edouard for some time:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18660056.amp/

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cheers, I have revised my assessment accordingly :)

As an aside, why is the music on these videos always so remorselessly awful?

I see the argument that these show reel makers want you to concentrate on the football and not the music but it just means people putting it on mute. That said, I wonder if DJ Locadia uses his own tunes on his own showreels, I’d be more inclined to look away and just listen to the music if that were the case!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Starting tonight - maybe Celtic losing in the champs league will help although it seems he wants out regardless.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
While I'm not sure its true for the older generation, sports interested people generally have a shite taste in music.

I think that may be being a bit unfair. First, taste in music is simply that. It isn't shit to the person whose taste it is. What you are really saying is that among the sports contingent you tend to prefer Old Man's music, I suspect ??? :wink:

And I say that as someone who, when your age, regarded anyone who liked music that I didn't as a cloth-eared ninny, and not worth a moment of my precious time :shrug:

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
All a bit too familiar...? taken from the BBC website during tonights game

'That's all Edouard needs, that half-yard to swivel and shoot. He gets the chance and it just goes slightly over. For a player of his standards, he should be hitting the target there'

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I think that may be being a bit unfair. First, taste in music is simply that. It isn't shit to the person whose taste it is. What you are really saying is that among the sports contingent you tend to prefer Old Man's music, I suspect ??? :wink:

And I say that as someone who, when your age, regarded anyone who liked music that I didn't as a cloth-eared ninny, and not worth a moment of my precious time :shrug:

One of the privileges of youth is the confidence that only you are right.

As I've gotten older, I have of course realised that I am indeed, right, and everybody else is not just wrong but deranged. But most people aren't as fortunate as I am :)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm watching with mild interest this Celtic v Midtjyland game. I'm slightly underwhelmed with our potential target. I don't think his style of play is suitable to our game

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
One of the privileges of youth is the confidence that only you are right.

As I've gotten older, I have of course realised that I am indeed, right, and everybody else is not just wrong but deranged. But most people aren't as fortunate as I am :)

I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.
Murray Walker

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

For the last 15 years of my working life, I visited customer homes. First opportunity, I'd cast an eye over their CD collection on show or occasionally their vinyl. Then I judged them. If I approved, I might strike up a conversation about music, if not, they were indeed cloth eared ninnies whose taste in anything instantly became dubious. Sorry, where music is concerned my taste is unsurpassed, although each to their own obvs.

Fiskmås

I'm watching with mild interest this Celtic v Midtjyland game. I'm slightly underwhelmed with our potential target. I don't think his style of play is suitable to our game

I feel exactly the same. The commentators described him as 'meek' at one point, which was quite accurate. Certainly didn't come across as an upgrade of our current strikers.

Pretty entertaining game though, as CL qualification matches go.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I have to say, I'm with Naylor on this one. Edouard is a good striker who will one day find his way to the Premier League, but I'd be surprised if it's with us. Why? Because he's not the type of striker Potter want to play with. Our best games last season had Maupay, Welbeck and Trossard as a rotating front three, popping up all over the place and wreaking havoc. Gonzalez fit that bill perfectly and I think it's far more likely that we'll sign someone in that mould rather than a 6ft 2in unit like Edouard

swanny has said that magic hairy potter does like a mobile lump in the middle of the three :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here