Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I have to say, I'm with Naylor on this one. Edouard is a good striker who will one day find his way to the Premier League, but I'd be surprised if it's with us. Why? Because he's not the type of striker Potter want to play with. Our best games last season had Maupay, Welbeck and Trossard as a rotating front three, popping up all over the place and wreaking havoc. Gonzalez fit that bill perfectly and I think it's far more likely that we'll sign someone in that mould rather than a 6ft 2in unit like Edouard

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I have to say, I'm with Naylor on this one. Edouard is a good striker who will one day find his way to the Premier League, but I'd be surprised if it's with us. Why? Because he's not the type of striker Potter want to play with. Our best games last season had Maupay, Welbeck and Trossard as a rotating front three, popping up all over the place and wreaking havoc. Gonzalez fit that bill perfectly and I think it's far more likely that we'll sign someone in that mould rather than a 6ft 2in unit like Edouard

A 6ft 2in unit might be a good option if our front three mini-beasts aren’t beasting the opposition. Anyway, it’s all academic most of us trust Graham Potter and the recruitment team to do the right thing and who are we to disagree. :)

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

I think that’s doing Edouard a disservice. He’s mobile, quick and good at link up play. And, unlike any of the 3 above, a good finisher

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

You’ve got Edouard totally wrong based on his size I’m afraid.

The general consensus is that he is much more of a No.10 than a traditional Murray-like No.9.

Watch his showreels. A lot of playing out wide or coming deep. He has impressive control and passing abilities. I think he is totally a Potter player. Questioning his ability in the air would be a good starting point if you are not keen on the man coming here.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

The general consensus is that he is much more of a No.10 than a traditional Murray-like No.9.

Watch his showreels. A lot of playing out wide or coming deep. He has impressive control and passing abilities. I think he is totally a Potter player. Questioning his ability in the air would be a good starting point if you are not keen on the man coming here.

Fair enough. I've not watched loads of him if I'm honest, just the usual YouTube highlights so happy to be proved wrong. If he's more of a Welbeck than a Benteke, cool.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
. Our best games last season had Maupay, Welbeck and Trossard as a rotating front three, popping up all over the place and wreaking havoc. Gonzalez fit that bill perfectly and I think it's far more likely that we'll sign someone in that mould rather than a 6ft 2in unit like Edouard

Wreaking havoc by missing lots of chances and for the most part totally disappearing against low-block teams?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Forgive me for saying so but l don't recall either Maupay, Welbeck, or Trossard doing too much on the havoc wreaking front last season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Edouard isn’t just a big man. He links play really well. Likes coming deep. He isn’t one dimensional at all.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don’t want to beat the guy up, he’s got a living to make as we all do. But I think you’ve summed things up pretty well.

Certainly not a dig on him as a writer, a columnist, opinion pieces and reflective articles and such. But when it comes to breaking news or being a “source of truth” I don’t believe he is and people give too much credence to his tweets. Happy to be proven wrong.

Another example. Ben White. The biggest sale in the clubs history. Complete silence on the topic until everyone else has reported the news (reactionary again). We learned more from Ornstein and even the madlad Dharmash on Sky News.

I dont think that's completely fair. All he is is a journalist with sources, like many others. His particular sources are inside the Brighton camp, and he'll report what he heard from them. If they give him nothing about White, then he has nothing to report other than what he's read himself. If Ornstein and Sky sports have contacts inside Arsenal, they'll report what they're told.

Expecting more than this, expecting Naylor to be an inside - man at Brighton and every other club as well, is very unrealistic. But he is a source of truth about Brighton, or so far as they give him the truth. And the more loyal he is to them, the more likely he is to receive the truth - and only him. Which means that even if you can't 100% trust Naylor, you certainly can't trust anyone else. Remember that all those 'Naylor said no' s are off the back of somebody else falsely saying yes.

For whatever reason, Brighton have confirmed nothing about the sale of White yet. That's the prerogative of our club, and I'll back them on that. Beating up Naylor about it is rather harsh.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

He's also got Potter wrong (although I wouldn't say totally wrong) on that too. [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] will testify that, for most of Potter's management, he's played a big target man as a striker (although our esteemed Potterologist might deploy more appropriate terminology than I've summoned up).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think Edouard is a similar type of forward to Welbeck (who is a 6'1" unit)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I dont think that's completely fair. All he is is a journalist with sources, like many others. His particular sources are inside the Brighton camp, and he'll report what he heard from them. If they give him nothing about White, then he has nothing to report other than what he's read himself. If Ornstein and Sky sports have contacts inside Arsenal, they'll report what they're told.

Expecting more than this, expecting Naylor to be an inside - man at Brighton and every other club as well, is very unrealistic. But he is a source of truth about Brighton, or so far as they give him the truth. And the more loyal he is to them, the more likely he is to receive the truth - and only him. Which means that even if you can't 100% trust Naylor, you certainly can't trust anyone else. Remember that all those 'Naylor said no' s are off the back of somebody else falsely saying yes.

For whatever reason, Brighton have confirmed nothing about the sale of White yet. That's the prerogative of our club, and I'll back them on that. Beating up Naylor about it is rather harsh.

Well yes, he might fail the medical

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Cheers, I have revised my assessment accordingly :)

As an aside, why is the music on these videos always so remorselessly awful?

I think its because of copyright issues with other peoples half decent music

having said that, the sound of manic miner loading off a C60 ( see other thread) sounds better than most show reel soundtracks. . . .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I thought he worked at the Athletic, who have a Naylor for every club, are they not allowed to talk to each other?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Difficult to watch that video without reaching the conclusion that he'll find life a bit harder up against Maguire, Rudiger, Fofana, Coufal etc etc

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Frustrating because the is feels like the transfer that would take us to the next level and seems to tick every single box. He will be off for sure. Fingers crossed it’s here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here